Lump(S) On Right Side Rib Cage Area

My guy Joker is turning 7 in 4 days and out of nowhere, on Saturday, I noticed that he has at least one lump on his right side just past where you can feel ribs. It feels firm but not rock hard and it doesn't seem to bother him much when I touch it. It doesn't move from the location when feeling around. I already called the emergency department at the MSU teaching hospital where we normally go for any issues related to him and they said unless he starts acting off, that I can just schedule an appointment with the appropriate doctor on Tuesday, so I will be doing that first thing tomorrow. I haven't been able to find too many examples of lumps of this type and I wasn't sure if there are specific things that I should be sure to mention related to greyhounds or tests that I should be sure to get?

I'm really dreading this and am hoping for no major surgery as he had a very difficult recovery from a cut that had to be explored last year (he was extremely anxious and upset for about a week after the surgery). Trying to stay positive that it's something benign. Any experiences?

I have some pictures of it, I'm just not sure how to post them. Sorry if they don't show up.

Edited to try to get pictures to work.

Studio_20150525_140519.jpg

Studio_20150525_141310.jpg

Edited by jto_MSU

I've had one or two like that appear on my boys and the next day they were gone....but it did not protrude however like it is in shot from above. You say "at least one", so where are the others? Are they similar?

My only experience with these sudden things is what I'm going through right now with Kasey. He has no reaction to it if I touch it but it feels firm and otherwise is acting like not a thing is wrong in the world. I'm still waiting on the results of his biopsy from last week. I'd imagine (as they did for Kasey) they could aspirate the bump just to get a quick idea of what's going on, and then a biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis and then you take it from there.

Hugs.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

It's mainly the one bigger one in the picture and with feeling around couldn't tell if there might be a smaller one near it, the certain one is the one protruding. We'll be trying to get in tomorrow to find out more.

No, he stays right around the same weight (66 lbs). He's been eating well and just had his annual appointment in March. It's not the same on the other side. It also doesn't feel bonelike. My searches suggested maybe a floating rib, though it doesn't feel like the ribs right before it and I've never noticed anything like it before.

Don't want to alarm you - but get him to reliable vet asap -- our rivie had osteo that presented on her ribcage - further towards her shoulder, but on a rib (longbone). It also seemed to appear out of nowhere

Mushy or solid feeling? Movable or fixed?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Don't want to alarm you - but get him to reliable vet asap -- our rivie had osteo that presented on her ribcage - further towards her shoulder, but on a rib (longbone). It also seemed to appear out of nowhere

Yeah, unfortunately this was my first thought. It's not common for osteo to appear in the ribcage, but it does happen so I'd want an x-ray to check it out.

Zuri had a fatty tumor pop up about that size and it came up fairly quickly, but fatty tumors are softer and move around easily with manipulation. The fact that this is firm and doesn't makes me think that's not what this is (Zuri's is on his belly fwiw).

Hope it's something benign. I don't know a lot about the various types of lumps and bumps that pop up so don't let my comments freak you out too much - only chiming in with what I know could be a possibility given my limited knowledge so you can rule it out. :)

Mushy or solid feeling? Movable or fixed?

Per the OP's original post: "It feels firm but not rock hard and it doesn't seem to bother him much when I touch it. It doesn't move from the location when feeling around."

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It feels solid but not hard like bone, so maybe slightly mushy? It doesn't move, so fixed to that spot. I can't lift it away from his body.

He doesn't seem bothered by you manipulating it? No pain? That at least seems like a good sign.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No pain that I can tell and he's typically a yelper when something bothers him.

Sweet! It's probably nothing. Hopefully your vet will be able to put your mind at ease just by poking and prodding a bit. :)

Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Here we have had a lipoma (fatty "tumor") that felt very firm and unmovable although they are more likely to be mooshy. Just, can't always tell by looking or feeling. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rebel had a lump in his rib area that looked like that and felt about how you described. It appeared suddenly about 7 months ago and I decided to wait a week or so before going to the vet - Rebel didn't appear to be bothered by it but I did a lot of worrying. It had completely disappeared within 10 days.

Dippy (Dinky Dipstick) and Velvet (Redbrick Velvet). Remembering sweet handsome Rebel (Emporio Rebel).

:hope:goodluck Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

If he's been playing hard with a friend or at a playdate, I might also suggest a contusion. They can appear out of nowhere and are often firm and unmoveable. But I second getting it checked out sooner rather than later.

A lipoma will most likely be squishy - feels just like fat, which is what they are - and you can usually sort of pick them up and away from the underlying tissues. They can present differently though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well, it looks like we'll be waiting to get in with my regular vet until Friday unless it gets worse - I would have had to wait until June 9 to get in to MSU. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's a contusion - I don't know of any specific injury, but he's pretty clumsy so it wouldn't surprise me if he did bump something while playing with our other dog or running in the door or something. He pretty much charges his way through anything- especially if he's trying to beat Oscar to something. Thanks again for your input.

I used my blood donation contacts at MSU and got him in today. They did a needle aspiration and looked under the microscope. The vet we had said that it wasn't scary looking, but it wasn't normal either. She didn't see inflammation, so I think she was gently leading me away from thinking it was a hematoma? They are sending the sample to pathology for more testing. She kind of mentioned mast cell tumor, but that they wouldn't know more until pathology was done with it. So, nothing terrible yet, but nothing overly reassuring either. Still feeling anxious.

Edited by jto_MSU

Great news! Pathology results are in and it's an inclusion cyst - so, non-malignant and all we have to do is watch it to be sure it doesn't get bigger or get infected, so no surgery! I am so, so, so relieved. Thank you everyone for your good thoughts and insights!

Yay! :clap