Chase's Urinalysis/bloodwork - Great Update

I got the results of Chase's latest urinalysis and bloodwork back yesterday morning and am waiting to talk to the vet.

The AST liver enzyme is moving closer to being in the normal range. His creatinine level has creeped up another 1/10th of a point to 1.9 and phosphorus was low at 2.2, should be 2.5-6.0

Overall bloodwork was pretty good. I can't say the same for the urinalysis, which is both bad and good maybe. Bad that it is not good, but good in that maybe we can figure out why he has to pee so much. Anyway here are the results, comparing previous results to most recent.

pH: 8.0 now 8.5

Protein: Trace now 3+

Blood: Neg now 1+

WBC: None now 4-10 (should be 0-3)

RBC: 0-1 now 4-10 (should be 0-3)

Struvite crystals: 2-3 now 4-10

Amorphous crystals: 2-3 now 4-10

Bacteria (Cocci and rods): 25-60 now >100.

Taking these results in combination with his constant need to urinate pretty much screams UTI to me.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Yep, he's got one. Did the vet give antibiotics?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No, not yet. I'm trying to get up with him to get some. Normally, he calls me to discuss test results. When I didn't hear from him by yesterday afternoon I called and found that he was out and had been in the office Tuesday. I couldn't figure out why he hadn't called so I checked the email and in it he sent the following reply concerning the urinalysis.

" The urine that was a free catch sample could have the contaminant from the prepuce that shows as the WBC's and RBC's and bacteria. It is possible that he has a urinary tract infection, but that is unusual in a male animal."

Then wrote for me to contact him with any questions.

I'm sorry, but with all I've been through with Nadir's and now Chase's urinary issues he should know I know how to get a proper urine sample. I told him when the results came back from the previous test that I don't do a catch until he has urinated a good stream washing out any bacteria that might be hanging out around the prepuce.

Anyway when I called yesterday I told them to make sure he calls me today. My poor boy has gone far too long with this infection, which looks like it started brewing on the last urinalysis, which was back in March.

Edited by 4My2Greys

That's absolutely ridiculous. Contamination caused ALL of those things to be abnormal? If nothing else, and this is the bare minimum, he should have recommended a culture on a sterile sample. You might still want to do that, while starting him on some AB while you wait for results. Then if he's not on the appropriate one, you can switch.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, Judy, this must be so frustrating. I'm not knowledgeable about it, but want you to know that you and Chase are in my thoughts.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sure the bacteria and white cells could be from the prepuce or a contaminated container-so the Dr may suggest that you obtain a clean sample via cysto. Keep on mind you may see +blood from a cysto sample because of the needle prick.

I've always read that UTIs were more common in females than in males, but I've never seen anything that suggests they're uncommon in males.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading about the different methods of collection, all off which have their drawbacks. One of the methods is catheterization. The drawback of it is the possibility of introducing bacteria into the urinary tract. That is when it hit meet. He had been catheterized during his rhabdomylosis episode. Vet agreed to start him on antibiotics, which was started Friday a week ago.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO MORE ACCIDENTS. :confetti

:yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."