Coughing And Retching After Drinking

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

Just wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about. Typically after drinking, but not every time, my girl will cough and sometimes retch/gag but usually doesn't ever throw anything up. (She has on rare occasion threw up after drinking a lot/drinking fast but it's straight clear water.) She eats fine, with no issues. Both food and water are already in a raised feeder (only 8in I believe). Does it need to be a higher/lower raised feeder? Or would that make a difference?

Also, sometimes when she's excited, like before a walk, she will start huffing (like short, deep breaths). I assume that's normal, just cause she's excited, but as long as I am writing this topic I thought I would throw it in here.

Thank you:)

My boy Johnny does exactly the same, I have had him just over a year and despite doing lots of research and asking vets etc I can find no reason for it. If your girl is otherwise healthy I would not be too concerned.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest WildSparkler

Thanks for your input! Sounds like it is not fairly uncommon! I was going to ask my vet the next time we are in, but this makes me feel a little more comfortable!

When they do throw up the clear water, someone on an old forum called it the Summer Blaps, after the "blap" sound it makes when it hits the floor.

Unless it happens in the winter. Then she called it the Winter Blaps.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

When they do throw up the clear water, someone on an old forum called it the Summer Blaps, after the "blap" sound it makes when it hits the floor.

Unless it happens in the winter. Then she called it the Winter Blaps.

:rofl

Sweep does it too. She also does the huffing/gagging thing when she gets really excited. If I rub her throat during an episode it seems to pass more quickly. Last night my husband asked her if she wanted a treat (her favorite word after "ride") and she started doing it. He said, "I'm gonna take that as a yes." :lol

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart