Hating Her Crate

Guest valeriej

Guest valeriej

We've had our Sarah for about a week and a half now. She hates her crate. I'm talking, runs away if we even walk into the room where her crate is, will give us the stiff legs when we try to put her in. Enticing her with treats only works half the time. She is only crated when we're at work, so I'm assuming she's associating it with us leaving. Yesterday when we got home from work, she had pushed her bedding aside and peed in the crate. We've tried leaving her out for an hour when we went to the store to see how things would go and she destroyed a set of blinds. When we're around, she is not a destructive dog at all, never chews or gets into things. So I'm guessing it's bad case separation anxiety. Any tips?

Jack hated his crate at first as well because of the sound the plastic tray was making. Feeding him IN his crate (We hang the bowl at the end of his crate) helped a lot. He also received all kind of fun treats in and was crated for some time after his dinner.

He was crated for the first 2 months or so and he would push the bedding away and destroy everything in his crate. That was separation anxiety however. After those 2 months, we found he did much better out of his crate. If you are concern about your house, don't hesitate to muzzle! They still can do their kong and drink water. We also leave the blinds open (up high if need be) so he can see outside. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not, you have to see what works for her.

A DAP diffuser would also help and music when you leave. But your best bet is to start working on alone training.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest AH710

Feeding in the crate and treats in there worked wonders for my boys with SA. He now goes there willingly when I say "cookie" :)

Guest valeriej

Sarah update: Houdini escaped out of her crate, left all treats and kong completely in tack from the morning. My blinds didn't fair so well, but they're replaceable. More importantly, Sarah is ok! My concern is now tomorrow, her cage is completely bent! I'm scared if I leave her out, she's going to end up through a window. I may be overreacting but I would hate for her to hurt herself. If I left her muzzle on her, would she be less prone to this? Problem is, I can't prevent her from peeing in the house with her muzzle. Almost have to choose, both of our sanities or house training?!

Do you have a room that you can baby gate her in, like the kitchen. Chew toys like a nylabone? Leave on the tv or radio. Dap difuser and benedryl to calm her. There are different remedies that worked for some people and then some that don't.

It hard when it is one dog and they are alone for a long period. I went thru it with our first as well.

Now, we have two and the girl is very attached to me. She is getting better, but, even when she is not alone, the other dog and my husband are home, she will cry and whine and sit by the door until I return.

They usually do get over it in a while.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Please find find a SAFE space for her...bedroom? Kitchen? ..... and baby gate her in there with her muzzle on.

Put newspapers an pee pads down if she is not house trained.

How long is she being left alone?

You need to start from square one and do alone training.

Now.

Have you read the Kathleen Gilley article on being alone?

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/309798-that-great-post-about-huge-change-in-new-hounds-life-etc/?hl=gilley&do=findComment&comment=5755732

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Exercise her like crazy before you leave. Dog proof your house, and try the DAP diffuser, the Kong, and the radio.

Buy and read the booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon" and spend the entire three day weekend doing alone training.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Agreed with Batterseabrindl and GeorgeofNE. Remember, you can never do enough alone training. and more importantly, you can't rush it. Maybe also she is not used to holding it for that long. Maybe a dog walker or a visit from you midday would help her?

I highly recommend the DAP diffuser and radio

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest valeriej

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to gate her in the kitchen or dining room, our house is an open concept and it would be a maze to attempt that. We left her muzzled this morning with all the bedroom doors closed, so if she does use the potty in the house, it's on our tiles floors at least. I was nervous about leaving her in a bedroom because I didn't want her to feel confined and take a door out, we keep the bedroom doors shut even when we're home so she's not tempted.

Definitely sounds like we'll being do alone training over the long weekend! I have the basic of idea what alone training is, but does any have a "guide" or some step-by-step instructions? I know I sound like a completely lost and confused! Sarah is such a sweetheart when we're home and it breaks my heart we're going through this! :cry1

Oh also! I'm in the process of interviewing for a dog walker to come by the house mid-day and give her some love and a potty break! So I'm hoping that will help alleviate some anxiety. Both the hubby and I work too far from the house to be able to visit her at lunch, she almost makes me want to find a job I can work from home (shhh, don't tell my boss)!

Edited by valeriej

And maybe stating the obvious but I would definately leave the blinds up....I had a dog that never had any SA issues still destroy some blinds because he just wanted to see out the windows. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest valeriej

And maybe stating the obvious but I would definately leave the blinds up....I had a dog that never had any SA issues still destroy some blinds because he just wanted to see out the windows. :lol

We left all the blinds up today! Just in case! She was crafty enough to break out the cage, I wouldn't be surprised if she got her muzzle off too!

Some greyhounds simply cannot be crated. Remember at the track she was crated with other dogs all around her - crated alone is very different. You risk serious permanent injury to this particular dog if you crate her. She could even destroy her teeth trying to get out. Did you film her in the crate when you were gone? She was probably in a full state of panic. Use the muzzle, dog proof the house as best you can, and work toward giving her the run of the place.

The less confined our dog was, the less separation anxiety he exhibited. Some greys are just this way.

And yet another behaviour related post with no information of how many hours the dog was walked before being left alone in a crate. The age of the dog is also relevant.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest valeriej

I was so relieved when I came home and she was perfectly content on "her" couch. Muzzle still on and blinds mostly untouched.

KickReturn, I think you're right, she's not a crate dog. She moved her blankets all around, but that's normal behavior for her, even when we're home. And as far as I can tell at this point she didn't pee in the house either. :offwall

We're going to keep working on our alone training and using the muzzle during the day to help with the chewing!

:thumbs-up

I commend you for being patient with your Sarah as she figures out what retirement an living in a home is all about!

Neither Ruby nor Nigel would tolerate being crated once they arrived in a home.

Ruby was returned to her Group after only one day for doing exactly what your Sarah did. She then sat waiting for a new home for nearly a year before we picked her up, as she was then labelled with SA.

Nigel was returned to his Group after 3 months for `peeing an pooing`in his crate. So sad.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I was so relieved when I came home and she was perfectly content on "her" couch. Muzzle still on and blinds mostly untouched.

This is great news. Hopefully she is on her way. Don't feel bad if there are setbacks.

I will re-state the obvious - the more walking you can give her before you leave her the better (hanging out in your yard doesn't count.) The mental and physical stimulation of an adventurous walk tires and relaxes the dog and sets her up for success. She will learn from her own relaxation that being left alone is not a bad thing.

Guest valeriej

This is great news. Hopefully she is on her way. Don't feel bad if there are setbacks.

I will re-state the obvious - the more walking you can give her before you leave her the better (hanging out in your yard doesn't count.) The mental and physical stimulation of an adventurous walk tires and relaxes the dog and sets her up for success. She will learn from her own relaxation that being left alone is not a bad thing.

We're going to work on the morning walks, I'm already up at 5am to just get her fed and myself ready for work. But there is still some wiggle room in there!

Wow, 5:00 AM to feed her and get yourself to work. You obviously start early.

You have to keep in mind that many Greyhounds would never be happy without a substantial morning walk before being left alone. If your dog is less then 7 or 8 years old then you may have a real problem with this. Adoption agencies that advertise greyhounds as couch potatoes do a disservice to the breed. Just because they are calmer then other breeds when in the home does not mean that are happy without exercise. There may be exceptions but I doubt your dog is one.

Edited by KickReturn

I'm not sure if this is the norm or not, but we generally don't walk in the morning (this will change when the weather gets hotter), but if we tire Jake out enough the night before he will barely get up for his breakfast and promptly go back to sleep the next morning.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com