New Behavior At Night

Guest AH710

Guest AH710

Hi all! Looking for advise from the experts again. To preface, I think I've read all the posts on sleep startle (my first hound had one incident so I did a lot of reading), but I really don't feel like that is what's going on with my second hound. He has slept in our bed since day 1, not that we invited him there...he just creeped off his bed to join us after we fell asleep. He has his own bed in our room. We have had no issues for the past 6 months. Now, he growls anytime someone bumps him. Again, I don't think it is a sleep startle or aggression thing because he doesn't act scary or possessive. He just seems really annoyed and really wants us to know it. He never gets up when he does this but sometimes lifts his head. Each time he does this, I get up and tell him to go to his bed, which he does without problems. The only thing is, he is right back up there as soon as I fall asleep and we start the whole routine all over. I can appreciate that he is getting annoyed if we bump him but now I'm getting annoyed because I need sleep and don't want to continuously get him off the bed all night. So, my question is, how can I keep him off the bed without him sneaking back up? I can't crate him at night...he is already crated when I'm at work so that would be too much. If I separate him to another room, he is very vocal. Could he just be being a bit of a teenager (3 years old)? Any tips would be so appreciated!!

ETA: When he does creep on the bed after we are asleep he lays directly on my feet so I can't avoid bumping him lol. I took to sleeping sideways with my feet on the nightstand so his majesty could have the preferred space by the foot of the bed.

Edited by AH710

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Get an xpen and set it up between him and your bed. You could crate him at night in the room with you, it wouldn't be too much crate time since he would be sleeping anyway, doesn't matter if it is in a crate or in a bed next to you. Its not like you are crating him and leaving him in there while you go about your daily routine. Its night time and everyone including him is sleeping.

Guest AH710

Thanks...I guess I had it in my mind that he should be out, but if he is sleeping anyway it shouldn't matter and maybe it will only take a few days for him to learn that he can't go up there anymore . Much appreciated!

I would put an x-pen around his bed. Gives him a little more freedom to move around and stand and stretch over more crate time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest AH710

It's like he knew he was about to get booted...I got home from work late and didn't have time to get an ex-pen or bother to move the crate. He slept like an angel with no more grumpies. I do plan on buying an ex-pen though....the more I thought about it I don't know if the crate would even work since he sings if he is in there and we are home. I appreciate all the suggestions!