Trouble Getting Up From Sit

Guest kar

Snow went to the vet for trouble getting up from a sit. He gave her an exam, said he could not pinpoint anything and gave her dermax. She is also finished with the dermax and today she sat on her walk and had difficulty getting up. The leg seems to slide out to the side and then I think she is afraid she cannot get up. She eventually did get up. there is no yelping or crying. Called vet back this morning and he does not want to do anything else right now. Should I be concerned. Has anyone else had this problem.

He found nothing and put her on an NSAID (I assume without running bloodwork first, and we all (should) know that NSAIDS can be very bad if your dog has underlying medical issues), and she's still yelping and he wants to do nothing? This suggests to me he isn't aware of the very high incidence of bone cancer in greyhounds. Not wanting to frighten you, but any halfway aware vet should know that when a greyhound presents with unexplained limping, it needs to be considered.

I'd insist on x-rays if she were my dog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She is not limping or yelping. She is walking normally. Only problem is when she sits sometimes leg slides off to the side and then she has difficulty getting up. She does not yelp at this time either.

Why does she sit when she's out walking? Seems an odd thing to do. Does she get tired, or too hot? I would be concerned, especially as you mentioned in another thread that she has been scraping her foot a little. Have you considered a chiropractor or similar for her?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

It might be nothing worse than arthritis, but as I know from bitter experience, not all vets are aware of bone cancer in greyhounds. If the pain meds fixed the problem, you could try keeping her on those indefinitely (which you would have to do if it is arthritis) but personally, I would be looking for a second opinion. FWIW, I have had greys with arthritis and greys with osteo, and none of them yelped or cried out in the beginning.

My vet is aware of cancer in greys - he recommended that one have an mri he had a rate spinal nerve cancer and always recommended I xray my other who also passed. He wants to see how she does = and if she does have bone cancer what could be done in the case - not much I;m afraid.

I was just wondering if anyone else had trouble with their hound getting up from a sit (the leg sliding out further from the body). I am worried and this will probably progress to xrays but I am afraid to know.

Could just be an issue of flexibility and not positioning herself well for the sit to begin with. I'd keep an eye on how she moves but wouldn't get too alarmed over that one issue. Hope it turns out to be nothing!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There are many Greyhounds who have trouble sitting simply because their bodies are not built for sitting like other dogs. Some Greyhounds may have previous racing injuries, so I would not even teach those younger hounds to sit. All of our current hounds do know how to sit; however, we would not ask them to sit outside during walks or on hard surfaces indoors because it's too difficult for them to control their legs. (They often have better control on thick carpeting.) Some hounds rear ends shake during a straight sit and should not be expected to stay in that position for more than a few seconds, if that. We stop asking our hounds to sit as they begin to age as they appear to have more difficulty, whether from arthritis or natural aging. Our Greyhounds are praised for stopping while standing at intersections, or for turning right/left, etc. :)

Good for you for noticing that Snow started having some difficulty, and you had her vet checked. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than her self-regulating her comfort level as she ages.

Could be something as simple (but nonetheless painful) as a misalignment in her back. A chiropractor would be able tell you.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I had her from a pup so I taught her to sit then. None of my other hounds would sit. I don't ask her to sit now, my walking partners dog sits for a treat and sometimes before I catch her she is in a sit. I'm trying to discourage her from sitting now. Do you think fresh factors would help her?

Aquitaine went through a period where she was having trouble with back rear leg sliding when she got up from a "down". It started when she was about 8-9... she was medically fine so I finally gave in and bought a rug for her for her birthday that year. It happened a couple of times after if she would be too close to under my bed but it was nothing major.

Fresh Factors sounds like a good idea if she hasn't been getting any joint supplementation and has been medically cleared.

Snow is still having trouble getting up from a sit. A lot on the tile floor, my grandchild told her to sit before I could stop her. Should I be concerned and bring her back to the vet. I starting to get worried. Otherwise she seem find.

Have you tried holding her leg in so it doesn't slide out as she is getting up?

Larry has trouble getting up from laying down because one of his legs is not steady and it can slide out. But, Larry is 13 1/2 and he is a big boy.

Just like people have a hard time getting up when they get older, dogs will be faced with the same problem. Make sure that you have non-skid rugs where she tends to lie down and maybe make the beds a bit more cushiony - sometimes the extra layers can help and sometimes not. You might also find that when she gets up, she needs more time to stretch before starting to move.

If the problem is only with the sit, then don't have her sit for awhile and see if that helps.

All my hounds 'can' sit.... but they chose not to.

Especially on a tile floor.

It is very difficult for them and they also sometimes slip and slide a back leg out when trying to get up. They are 100% sound and not in any pain at all. It is like they need to use the leg for better balance.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If it happens again try sliding your foot parallel next to her slipped leg and gently slide her leg closer to her body so she can brace against your foot for stability. You know your hound best, but I'd wait and watch her on thick carpeted surfaces or a very thick dog bed before further veterinary testing. All our hounds' hind legs have slid away from their body on hard surfaces like wood or tile.

Snow went on a walk yesterday, decided to sit for a stranger and had real trouble getting up. Called vet this morning, they want to do xrays on monday, which means she will be put out. Vet is talking maybe tumor, maybe this maybe that. I am all upset now. Wish she was having it done tomorrow.

It happens more on slipperly surfaces, but also on the sidewalk - does not seem to happen on rugs. Confusing. I am very concerned about her.

I had the sidewalk issue with Aquitaine for the last few years of her life when she would squat. I just lined my foot up alongside hers on the outside so her foot/leg didn't slide any further. All was fine. I know it is far easier said than done, but try not to think dark thoughts. As long as it isn't happening on rugs, that is a good thing. My wood floors and the sidewalk did sometimes give my girl trouble but I figure we all get stiffer with age.