White Gardenia, Aka Mystique: 12/20/2003--5/16/2015

Magdalene

This one was so much harder, because unlike the others, this was a 'back and forth' struggle.

Mystique came to me at the age of 10 with incontinence, which she was on DES for, and I was told it was controlled, but when she first came to my house, she was having all kinds of problems with it. At first I put it down to stress of moving, but after some weeks of frustration and running to the vet several times, she was put on a cocktail of DES, Proin, and Carprofen (it turned out she had a touch of arthritis which was complicating the issue.) She also wound up needing thyroid medication. But everything worked, and she was doing fine. We had a few good months there.

Then she developed sarcoma. And it seemed as soon as she was diagnosed, her incontinence went to hell on her. More tests, more running to the vet, trying this with the meds, trying that....and to top it off, she started fighting taking her meds, when before she was good about it. Grind 'em up, put 'em in yogurt, and she slurped 'em right down....and suddenly, she wouldn't. Tried hot dogs, ground beef, pill pockets.....you name it, I tried it. I'd get them in her.....but it was now a fight when before, she'd been great about it. Her arthritis was also getting worse, so she got Tremedol as well. But she was still having issues. This all started about mid-March...

...and she was just...back and forth. She was always having accidents, and it seemed 'good days' were measured by, "Well, she *almost* made it outside." I was taking her water away at six, taking her out as late as midnight to potty....and she'd still have accidents in the middle of the night. Keep talking to the vet. Keep running tests, tweaking the meds...and no success. The arthritis was getting worse--she'd have trouble getting up for a laying-down position, sometimes I had to help her up. And the stairs were getting harder for her. Her appetite was getting erratic.

And last Wednesday night, it was just *really* bad....she'd gone potty at five, and had an accident 30 minutes later. Again, no water after six, last potty at midnight....and she woke me up at 3 a.m. to go potty.....and she'd already soaked the carpets through. And by then, it had been going on for two months...it had actually been pretty standard by then that we were going to bed at midnight and waking up before 4 a.m., and she'd either already gone or wasn't making it to the door in time. So I called Dr. Cordeiro and made an appointment for today.

The hardest part were her last two days. Thursday night, she made it through most of the night with no problems, and I felt...hopeful. But she was sick later that morning after drinking her water. And Friday night, she had an accident in the middle of the night again....and today, two hours before the doctor came, she stole my pizza. Which made me second-guess myself again, because how bad off can she be if she steals my pizza, right?

He and I spoke about it, and he did notice that she was trying, and failing, to get to her feet, and we discussed all her other issues where she was beginning to fail....and it was decided better to end her life on a somewhat good pizza-thieving note, rather than wait a few weeks when the inevitable came and she was miserable.

She was put to sleep on the red sofa that she always liked to sneak up onto when she thought I wasn't looking. She never did figure out Red Sofa+White Dog=I Know It's You, Mystique. I figured let her go in her favorite place in the whole house.

I only had her little more than a year....

So very sorry for the loss of your girlie.

Thank you for taking her into your home and giving her a good year.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking her in when she needed someone.

Run free, Mystique. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Cardiffcouple

I am so sorry to hear you had to let her go. It sounds as though you tried everything you could to give her a comfortable life. It is so hard letting go and I am truly sorry you have to go through this. She is over the Bridge with not a worry in the world. She loves you for taking such good care of her.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. I'm glad she got to spend time with you; I wish she'd been able to stay comfortable longer.

Godspeed Mystique.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you for taking her in and loving her. This bring tears to my eyes. I am sorry that your time together was so short.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful year she had with you though.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The back-and-forth is so hard. I absolutely love that Mystique became a pizza thief and left you with that happy vision of her, that was a gift. I am so very sorry it was her time. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It was a good thing, I think....my sister and I were talking about it later, and my sister mentioned that she'd thought it was time, because Mystique had visibly been losing weight, and while she hadn't stopped eating entirely, her appetite had definitely dropped off a bit. So she must've been getting close to the 'about to be miserable' point.

For the first time in ten years, nobody's needed me to take them outside to go potty. And for the first time in a year, nobody's needed me to make up their drugs for them. I have the cats, still, who need fed, watered, and looked after, but....they don't *quite* need me the way the dogs needed me. I somehow feel so useless and without a purpose.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Being dogless is an awful feeling, isn't it? : grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I know. So much of your day is spent cooking, feeding, preparing meds (and often trying to get meds into them!), potty trips, the *nurturing*, and then when that need is no longer part of your daily routine it does leave one wandering and feeling just as you say. New normals can be a rough road. But they do level out. They do. So hard for you but Mystique surely thanked you for helping her cross before she got to that "about to be miserable" point. :grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious lady, especially after such a short time. I would wish for every senior a loving home in their last years, and their very own red couch.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry :bighug I do agree, letting her go on a fairly good pizza stealing day is better than waiting until she has no more good days. It is strange, and kind of sad, to not have the elaborate routine you have become used to :sad1