Joint Supplement For Young Hound?

I have used Cosequen DS for five years on my kids. Started them on it when they turned eight and nine. Carolina continues to take it and Jake took it up until the day he left for the bridge. It helps keep them moving, active and especially steady on their feet. Our new edition, Rebel will be coming home tomorrow. He just turned three a couple of weeks ago. He never raced and as far as I know he has no health issues. Should I start him on Cosequen now or wait until he's old? Would there be any benefit for him if he starts it now?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I know that Claudia recommends giving a retired racer her glucosamine for a few months, but, since Rebel did't race, I don't know. After we brought Shine home, and had her a while, she began limping from a corn. Since the corn changed her gait, she started holding that foot up. I gave her a joint complex for about three months and she is fine now.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I hold off until I see a problem or we hit 6 or so. I do give fish oil to everyone (and supposedly me, but I keep forgetting).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I feed a general supplement that has a combination of things in it, including a joint supplement (I use the Longevity one from Springtime/Fresh Factors). I also always give all of my dogs omega 3 supplements throughout their lives. Not necessarily for the coat benefit, but because it can be beneficial for so many other things, including joints. I know there is a lot of controversy about the effectiveness of supplements, but I figure I can't be hurting anything by giving them.

Edited by RedHead

My vet who is our adoption group's preferred vet with tons of greyhound experince told me he recommends joint suppliments to start at age 2. He said studies do show it makes a difference. I use Joint Health from Spring Time Natuals along with Fresh Factors,

Guest Lillypad

While carrying on a conversation with Dennis McKeon, he told me that glucosamine is good but Hyaluronic Acid is better. He tells me that the trainers have been using Hyaluronic Acid products and getting great results. He recommended this product, Actiflex 4000. I was given a HA product at a trade show (lucky me) called Lubrisyn HA which I am using. Apparently HA and glucosamine combined is the best way to go according to the greyhound trainers and breeders in the know. And, accordingly, it is never too soon or too late to start.

Edited by Lillypad

the actiflex has

:Guaranteed Analysis Per oz.

Glucosamine Sulfate 8,000 mg.
Chondroitin Sulfate 4,000 mg.
MSM 3,000 mg.
Ester C (Ascorbic Acid) 1,000 mg.
Yucca 150 mg.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) 125 mg.

our dogs(and humans as well) need 1500mg of the first 3 ingredients, once one reducers the glucosamine down to the 1500 the rest are too low. how much are the dogs getting? this stuff is super reasonable and has good stuff in it. they also need the ester c to absorb the first 3 ingredients. i've been buying powered msm, glucose/vit c from amazon and using that. but only one of the dogs will eat it, the other can't stand the taste.