She Keeps Licking Her Pum-Pum

Guest chickenpotpie

Guest chickenpotpie

Last week Lucky has been constantly licking her pum-pum and its very red and irritated. Today she's at the vet (teeth cleaning, bloodwork, and her microchip) so I had the doc check her out.

No UTI thankfully but she's got an infection starting down there. The vet told me she's going to give me a spray to use 2-4 times a day and when Lucky takes a pee, wipe her to keep her from licking. Apparently there is also a salve but I have to admit I don't feel very comfortable dealing with it.

Ok 2 things here;

I know I can't use baby wipes, but what should I be using? paper towels or regular? if regular I can go get some at Marshalls or something. Do I need to use soap or is water enough?

Lucky has LOTS of linens. I wash them every couple of weeks because they typically don't that dirty but in light of this infection, should I clean them more? I use very little soap, but I do use baking soda when I wash her stuff to remove smells. I don't use fabric softener ever.

I just need to know how much will be too much because I don't want this to get any worse.

Why can't you use baby wipes?? It's what we used in a similar situation with no issues. If your dog has to have something else, I would probably use either toilet paper or a couple facial tissues rather than paper towels.

It's not that big a deal. Just keep a box of them handy at the door. When you come in, just put a wipe in the palm of your hand and swipe it right through her legs. If you need to use the salve, you can squirt it on a fresh wipe and swipe that as well. Your dog will probably jump and be uncomfortable with the maneuver in the beginning, but she will quickly get used to it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Use face cloths. I always have tons of face cloths around for all the wiping that comes with having three dogs. You can usually get them very cheap at places like Dollar store or BJ's. I wash them in hot water with soap (no fragrance) and no fabric softener.

If you need to use a salve, you can put it on a face cloth and then gently pat it on her.

Ruby just had a similar infection, and we were to apply the slave/ointment before taking her out to help "ease the burn" as she would tinkle.

I found applying it with a q-tip worked better than my finger, so that I made sure the medicine was really in the crevices, so to speak.

Hope your girl heals smoothly

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest chickenpotpie

Why can't you use baby wipes?? It's what we used in a similar situation with no issues. If your dog has to have something else, I would probably use either toilet paper or a couple facial tissues rather than paper towels.

It's not that big a deal. Just keep a box of them handy at the door. When you come in, just put a wipe in the palm of your hand and swipe it right through her legs. If you need to use the salve, you can squirt it on a fresh wipe and swipe that as well. Your dog will probably jump and be uncomfortable with the maneuver in the beginning, but she will quickly get used to it.

Thanks for your response!

The vet said not to use baby wipes and I have to admit, I agree because they're super laden with chemicals. Heck I can't even use them on myself. BTW she's not one of those super nature types, she just would rather I use something that won't cause more issues. We have a 12 pack of bounty soft paper towels by mistake which are super soft..I've used them for my own face...but they suck for cleaning up in the kitchen or bathrooms.

I got spray and salve and the salve just makes me squeamish. I love my dog but frankly I don't want to touch her girl parts more than I have to. I don't want to touch her poo parts either but certainly I do that too! :hehe

Use face cloths. I always have tons of face cloths around for all the wiping that comes with having three dogs. You can usually get them very cheap at places like Dollar store or BJ's. I wash them in hot water with soap (no fragrance) and no fabric softener.

If you need to use a salve, you can put it on a face cloth and then gently pat it on her.

Thanks. Lucky has her own towels but they're big ones. We've never had to deal with this before so its a new adventure. I will see what BJ's has for small towels.

Guest chickenpotpie

Ruby just had a similar infection, and we were to apply the slave/ointment before taking her out to help "ease the burn" as she would tinkle.

I found applying it with a q-tip worked better than my finger, so that I made sure the medicine was really in the crevices, so to speak.

Hope your girl heals smoothly

thanks. Did your vet ever say where she picked it up? I asked mine and she said there's no real way of knowing. Anyway Lucky is totally socked out from her cleaning, and they did clean her up really good while she was under so I will likely skip today.

Using the spray won't be hard. I taught Lucky "show me your tummy" :hehe ...basically its her playing dead. she loves it considering she gets a treat after. I do this when I have to hunt for ticks or put coconut oil on her tummy in the winter.

Pum-pum is a new one to me, but I figured it out! I opened this because I had no idea what she was licking, and I was curious.

All baby wipes are not the same. Some are not too bad. You want to use something soft, but will not fall apart and leave pieces on her.

This may be the perfect time for you to get comfortable touching her there. Good luck!

Poor girl. It must hurt her.

I figured pum-pum meant her genitals, vagina area, etc., but I too have never heard that term before. Real words don't hurt but they do clarify. While I might not want to do a personal service for a dog that isn't mine, it wouldn't bother me at all to take care of any parts of Annie. I love her from ear tip to toes and the idea of doing something to make her feel better, makes me feel better.

As your vet said, I wouldn't use baby wipes for something that is sore/irritated. They have stuff in them as well as fragrance. I think it would make the area hurt more. Whatever you use, just think how you are helping her heal and feel better. I hope it clears up quickly.

Edited by Feisty49

I'm constantly learning new medical terms on this board. Chickenpotpie, just consider that other people have had to face cleaning the sheath of their male dog.

Seriously, I'm sorry Lucky has been hurting and I hope the infection clears up ASAP.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest chickenpotpie

Thanks all. This is very new for me though Lucky has been with me for a while. I mean yeah I had to take care of my own but I don't have any children so taking care of someone elses (even a dog) is very new to me. She's also my first dog so I have a lot to learn!! Where I'm from (growing up) , we use the word pum-pum; its a bit more polite than vagina.

I got some cloths and the spray has very good coverage. Shes still recovering from anethesia so it was an easy day today.

Guest Lillypad

Horses also need attention down there! Watch the sheath cleaning song videos on YouTube, and you will realize how easy it is to care for your girl.

OMG, this made me laugh. I remember being up to my elbow cleaning out wood chips, rocks, sand...yuck. I have to find that "song" you mention. Share a little story, When my daughter was three, she would go to the bathroom and then yell for me to come wipe her bum. I said one day.. Olivia you are 3 and will be going to school soon what will you do then when you need your bum wiped, I won't be there. Her reply was... "My friend will do it" I laughed my head off. She is now 22 and every now and then I ask her "Olivia have your found that friend to wipe your butt" So think of it this way, you are the very best friend a dog could have.... LOL, LOL

i thought the technical term was 'hoo-ha' - and the equivalent male term was his 'lip-stick'. :)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

How old is Lucky? She may be licking her vulva (there I said it) because she may be leaking urine. Has your vet eliminated the diagnosis of spay incontinence? Another thought is she may have a hooded vulva trapping bacteria or causing urine scald--she may be experiencing this now if she's gained weight.

Some baby wipes are perfectly fine to use-also some wet wipes made for adults are fine too. Don't use any to abrasive like gauze or paper towels.

Guest chickenpotpie

@thounds. Lucky is 5, will be 6 in January. The vet checked her out really well and thinks everything is fine down there other than this issue, and thinks we caught it early. Her weight is pretty stable, but higher in the colder months but she's far from obese. She weighed in at 68lbs yesterday which is good and pretty typical weight for her.

I did tell her dad to keep her out of the ponds / lakes around here until we're finished, though the silly girl loves being in water (except when taking a bath!) And for baths, she gets 2 a year, the rest of the time she gets a rinse off because pond water stinks frankly.

I got a huge bundle of wash towels at TJMaxx yesterday so I'll go through these with the spray. They're actually pretty nice! But they were also cheaper than I found at BJ's!

She doesn't like the spray but oh well, she'll get used to it.

@kronkcrew...lol there's a million names names for boy and girl parts. For instance, my grandmother called it her pocketbook. I didn't totally get that until I was an adult!

We have used alcohol-free, fragrance-free baby wipes for similar situations. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is the "ingredient listing" from Pampers Natural Clean wipes --

Our Gentle Wipe Contains: Water, Tocopheryl Acetate*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, BIS-PEG/PPG-16 PEG/PPG-16/16 Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dipropylene Glycol. *Vitamin E

I would think that the salts would be irritating. The castor oil would be a plus because I imagine it would provide a soothing coating and act like an emollient.

I'm constantly learning new medical terms on this board. Chickenpotpie, just consider that other people have had to face cleaning the sheath of their male dog.

Seriously, I'm sorry Lucky has been hurting and I hope the infection clears up ASAP.

Yup! thats me! I just started having to do this periodically to prevent excessive buildup of (eewww!) Smegma! whatever it takes to keep my hound comfy! HaHa! You'll get used to it and think nothing of it after a few times doing it.

We use the Malacetic wipes for Clarice. We got them from the vet - they work well for us :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest chickenpotpie

Update: So far the topical spray worked well. everything looks normal color, no more redness and she's not licking beyond whats normal. (WHEW!) She doesn't dig the spray though (but I can't say I blame her? :hehe )