New Puppy Help Sa ?

We are searching for a small puppy and wondering if this will help with Rubys anxiety ? She hates to be left alone and as I posted in other forums, her anxiety is escalating. If we were to get a strong confident little pup, do you think that it will help her or hurt her ? We certainly don't want to do anything to make her worse.

I don't know anyone who has a puppy to try her out, and I don't want to bring one home that I cannot keep. What has been your experience with adding a new pet to the family ? I know another greyhound would probably be the best choice, but it is not what we are wanting.

Karen

Guest normaandburrell

Would you consider fostering a greyhound first to see if another dog helps? I would have concerns about throwing another breed and in particular a puppy into the situation until you know how Ruby would react to a small active pup. In the kennels they keep the dogs segregated by age. We have had Iceman for a year and it is only recently that he has begun to tolerate being around dogs under a year old. Their energy level was just too high.

If you can afford/handle two dogs, then why not get one of her own kind??

A puppy isn't going to be happy and relaxed when you leave. And there is no way to tell how a puppy is going to fit in until you actually get it. A nice Greyhound, perhaps a bounce, with a known calm disposition is a better candidate.

Having said that, I got my mixed breed dog, Kramer, a cat for company. While they were never buddies, it did seem to help him feel less alone during the day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have no idea whether it will or will not help Ruby, but I'd be hesitant to get an actual puppy. They need to be housebroken and learn all the other things we take for granted that our Greyhounds do or don't do. I know all Greyhounds aren't as easy going as Annie and Ruby, but I can guarantee a puppy will be a lot of work. Also, Ruby may not want to be around the activity and high energy a puppy is 100% guaranteed to have. Long story short, consider adopting a dog at least a year old, perhaps a mixed breed from a local shelter that has already been in a home but was "turned in" because the owners got tired of dog ownership.

I sometimes think of getting another dog because Annie is sooo laid back it's often as if I don't have a dog at all. It's doubtful I ever will get a second dog, but if I did, I'd get an older, more-difficult-to-adopt dog, something at least 5 years old.

I will tell you from experience of adding a greyhound puppy to our existing pack - the adults wanted nothing to do with the puppy at all. Ever. Until she got to be adult size and calmed down some. One adult *did* take to the puppy and he basically raised her. I believe that to be unusual behavior.

In particular, our anxious girl was terrified of the puppy. She wouldn't even stay in the same room with her for months.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My son brought over his 8 week old French Bulldog puppy tonight and Ruby was very interested. She did the sniffing, sniffed some more, crawled into the puppies bed, and didn't seem disturbed when the puppy got a bit rambunctious. We didn't let the puppy bug her for too long, and she was muzzled at first, just in case. She showed zero signs of aggression and even let the puppy crawl all over her big bed. Her tail was wagging the whole time. I don't know how it would go if a puppy was bugging her all the time, but she seemed to be a bit more playful that I expected.

Not sure why I want a puppy, maybe because I have never had one. I know they are a ton of work.

I do not want another greyhound because I want a dog that is a bit more lively and not another rug. I love Ruby to pieces, but she is pretty much non existant most of the time.

I am keeping my eye on the kennels around and am open to a young dog from one of them.

Karen

Guest GreyHawk

Rug???? Non-existent????

Don't think I'd want anyone who 'loves' me to describe me in that way.

I could say more, but :censored.

I don't know Ruby, or just how quiet she is. My advice though is to make sure you know what you want. I REALLY appreciate Summit's very defined "off switch". I appreciate even more that I don't have to ask for him to turn off. It's more like asking him to turn on. If I want to do something, I call for him and he pops up ready to go. If we're just chilling he's asleep somewhere.

Be careful what you wish for. Although Kili has learned an off switch (finally), she almost needs to be asked to turn off. And if she doesn't get what she needs, she won't turn off and I have to get up and go work her. If I'm dead tired from work it can be a real pain, but there's no choice and I chose this responsibility (and 99% of the time I love it, I'm just pointing out that there are times when I kick myself a little).

So if it's what you want, go for it, just realize that a good "off switch" is priceless and not all dogs come with one!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Lygracilux

I don't know Ruby, or just how quiet she is. My advice though is to make sure you know what you want. I REALLY appreciate Summit's very defined "off switch". I appreciate even more that I don't have to ask for him to turn off. It's more like asking him to turn on. If I want to do something, I call for him and he pops up ready to go. If we're just chilling he's asleep somewhere.

Be careful what you wish for. Although Kili has learned an off switch (finally), she almost needs to be asked to turn off. And if she doesn't get what she needs, she won't turn off and I have to get up and go work her. If I'm dead tired from work it can be a real pain, but there's no choice and I chose this responsibility (and 99% of the time I love it, I'm just pointing out that there are times when I kick myself a little).

So if it's what you want, go for it, just realize that a good "off switch" is priceless and not all dogs come with one!

Yup! I agree with exactly this.

I've had dogs my whole life, Fusion is my first Greyhound and besides his bowel issues I couldnt have gotten luckier. He, like Summit is "off" until I ask him "on". It is such a blessing. Though he loves his walks and zoomies, he is happiest snuggling with me on the couch.

When I had my husky and german shepherd it was always "go go go go"! It was exhausting especially after coming home from work or school and having to deal with the new mess they made & having to deal with them at the same time. Though I loved them, they did take their toll on me.

Rug???? Non-existent????

OH FOR GOODNESS SAKES !!!! Anyone who knows anything about me or Ruby knows how much I love this girl. She is the love of my life, a beautiful loving soul that I adore. Most people who own greyhounds will admit that they do lay around 99% of the time and don't demand much. Ruby literally lays on her bed except for eating, out for walks and potty. She isn't really like most dogs.

If you read more into what I wrote, you are just looking to stir up trouble. My girl is very well loved, doted on and spoiled. But we do call her a "rug" with chuckles.

Krissy-I totally agree with what you said. I like the off switch too, but also want a dog that will alert me to strangers near my house, cuddle in my lap, etc. I would never ever get another Greyhound as quiet as Ruby is. She has never barked and is just the sweetest thing. Ruby is NOT being replaced. She will always be Top Dog. I just want more to love. I am retired and am alone 6 days a week. The dogs are my life. I appreciate the warning though and agree that I will probably kick myself once in a while if I get a different type of dog. Thank you.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Rug???? Non-existent????

Really? I suspect there are other words used to describe you. It's probably good you didn't say more because no doubt it wouldn't have contributed to the conversation as what you said above didn't.

I haven't yet used the word rug to describe Annie, but I have mentioned that a second dog would be nice for more companionship. Rug-like, though, would describe my girl. I like what is said above about an off switch. Annie is always off, unless there's a reason not to be, such as being asked if she wants to go for a walk or for a ride in the car. Having grown up with Boxers, I know that dogs who are always on can wear on one's energy after a while. Whatever you decide on getting, make it a cute one! LOL

Thanks Feisty49 !!! I know that 99.9% of the people reading my statement knew I was not being mean or unloving in any way. We joke that others have bear rugs, we have a greyhound one. I personally am tired of GreyHawk making rude comments to me, as this has happened more than once. So not necessary, but it seems there is always one who stirs the pot to cause trouble and put others down.

I will definitely make my new pup/dog a cute one and it will in no way take away the love Ruby is given. I cannot imagine my life without my girl.

What I saw when my son brought over the puppy was a girl that came to life, wagged her tail like crazy and got up off her bed ! I was happy for her. If another dog in the house adds more joy to Rubys life, all the more reason to get one. It was a nice test to make sure she wouldn't feel slighted.

So back to my question...........will a confident puppy/dog help with Rubys anxiety ?

Karen

I think that another dog (and maybe even a puppy...but hey puppies grow into dogs eventually right?) could definitely be a help to Ruby. Especially if she showed such a positive reaction. I find that dogs are truly the best communicators to other dogs. Sometimes just having the presence of another dog can really help to bring a shy or anxious dog out of it's shell. Not always of course, but since you want another dog anyways, and Ruby seems quite happy with other dogs, it can't hurt either way. Teague is rarely around greyhounds, always other breeds. In the beginning I think he might have thought other dogs were a bit strange, but now he doesn't seem to care either way. I know some greys are different though. The key is to find a confident but nurturing dog who is the right fit for her.

I was not being mean or unloving in any way.

None of Kili's nicknames are remotely flattering. Monster, demon child, crazy town, psycho, little sh!t.... She is no angel, so why would I call her one? Doesn't mean I don't love her, and doesn't mean I intend them to be rude or punitive. I knew what you meant. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest WhiteWave

I think another dog/puppy could help her. Ronon could never be an only dog. He thrives having a confident, outgoing doggie friend. Keeps him calmer and he stresses less when left alone and during t-storms and fireworks.

Now not all Greys are lazy. Joey could rival a Border Collie. He is loud, he barks at me, demands exercise and playtime. He will chase a tennis ball until I can't lift my arm. He swims, runs like a maniac for hours at a time, he can go jogging, bicycling, hiking, boating, etc. Whatever you want to do, he is game. A Greyhound pup raised in a home and brought up doing these things can be just like a "real" dog. I prefer it this way. I plan on buying most of my future Greys as puppies, may still have a retired racer, but mostly puppies. After raising my own, I just prefer it.

But being you want a different breed, more cuddly more alert/watchdog type, I would suggest a Dobe. They pair really well with Greyhounds. Dobes are velcro, nothing gets passed them and a well bred one should be rock solid and a good match for a Grey like Ruby.

Guest Lillypad

Greyhounds being non-existent... um... I get that... somewhat. The sighthound breeds are most definitely a "laid back" bunch, there is no denying that.

I think the trick (I am sure, Krissy will agree) is you have to engage these dogs. Mine would certainly "rug about" all day and night if I let her. But off to agility, rally O, therapy volunteering, playdates, swimming and hiking we go. I don't ask, I inform. So like Krissy also mentioned... be careful what you wish for. I do the informing, and I like that power. hee,hee, I like the suggestion of Normaandburnell about fostering a second greyhound. What would you have to loose. Give that a try. Also GeorgeofNE, suggestion of a cat is a good one too. Just as he/she said, my hound and cat are not BFF, but I know for a fact the cat is a confidence booster. Funny side note: When teaching the hound confidence on the teeter, I encouraged the cat to walk the teeter. I know the hound thought "Hell, if the cat can do it and get treats, surely I can give it a go" LOL

One other thing comes to mind. Formal training of any kind.. lets say Rally-O is truly a confidence builder for dogs and human alike. It may be slow and you may not see the evidence right away, but I guarantee it will show at one point. Also it is great fun for you. You get together with like minded doggie people. My Rally-O and Agility group have become my very good friends. I look forward to every lesson. We laugh and share our trial and tribulations, successes and our difficulties.

Try a schooling class with Ruby. Think of it as girls night out. Try therapy dog training, Good neighbor training, obedience, rally-o, even freestyle dancing. Have you considered a therapy job for Ruby. Remember all dogs (even the new addition you are considering) need jobs to fulfill their potential. There are so many ways now to engage with your dog. I bet if you get going at something, (again like Krissy said) you will appreciate that "down time"

None of Kili's nicknames are remotely flattering. Monster, demon child, crazy town, psycho, little sh!t.... She is no angel, so why would I call her one? Doesn't mean I don't love her, and doesn't mean I intend them to be rude or punitive. I knew what you meant. :)

I LIKE YOU...............

No cats for me. Never learned to like them.

Ruby participates in a long walk daily, a ball throwing game most days, with me fetching the ball back to myself, and lots of love and scritches. She is a happy girl most of the time, but she also looks like a rug while doing it. When I first got her we went to doggie class. She failed......twice. She just didn't want to do it. I was OK with that. She's retired just like I am. I do nothing I don't want to anymore either. We are a perfect match.

Karen

I think if you go into a second adoption (whether a greyhound or not) being honest with the group or organization that helps you, you can find a dog that will fit what you need. Personally, I've had nine greyhounds total. Only two have ever fit the "area rug" name. The other never got the memo that greyhounds don't fetch, or they don't bark or dig. The four I have now could be labradors in greyhound suits!

You didn't know greyhounds well when you adopted Ruby. Now you have a better idea of what you want in a second. And a younger, confident dog could absolutely help Ruby out. See if someone local would let you grey-sit for a weekend or a few days. That will tell you how Ruby might react.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

" You didn't know greyhounds well when you adopted Ruby. Now you have a better idea of what you want in a second. And a younger, confident dog could absolutely help Ruby out. See if someone local would let you grey-sit for a weekend or a few days. That will tell you how Ruby might react."

Are you going to let me borrow one of yours greysmom ? If so, can I borrow the one that doesn't dig ? HAHA.

I really really do not want to get another greyhound next time, but my husband does. I love Ruby and she is perfect (with a few glitches) and I know I would never get one as amazing as she has been. I also know that down the road, I will adopt another one. But first, I want to get a smaller dog or puppy, I just don't know what kind. I am hoping one will fall into our laps. I saw a Facebook ad where a guy wanted to get rid of his 9 month old Springer Spaniel, one of my husbands favorite dogs. The guy lived in another state and I did message him to see if he would be willing to let me ship him here. He was no longer able to give him the proper care. I haven't heard back from him but am hoping I will. There was also an offer of a truck driver possibly bringing the dog to Oregon. Keeping my fingers crossed I hear back.

Karen

Would you consider adopting a dog that is closer in age to Ruby? My friend lost one of her greys recently and the family decided not to adopt another grey at this time. They ended up finding an older rat terrier who has become her remaining grey's best friend. They run around and play together, sleep together, are very happy with each other.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

It's been mentioned a couple of times that a confident dog would be a good fit for Ruby. This sounds like good advice, but for me, this raises the question that those with experience can answer: How does one evaluate a puppy in that regard? Is it they way puppies play or approach a new situation?

I still think an older dog, at least a year old, would be better and easier for the household, but that's only from my perspective of not wanting to have to teach all the things that babies need to learn. :)

" You didn't know greyhounds well when you adopted Ruby. Now you have a better idea of what you want in a second. And a younger, confident dog could absolutely help Ruby out. See if someone local would let you grey-sit for a weekend or a few days. That will tell you how Ruby might react."

Are you going to let me borrow one of yours greysmom ? If so, can I borrow the one that doesn't dig ? HAHA.

I really really do not want to get another greyhound next time, but my husband does. I love Ruby and she is perfect (with a few glitches) and I know I would never get one as amazing as she has been. I also know that down the road, I will adopt another one. But first, I want to get a smaller dog or puppy, I just don't know what kind. I am hoping one will fall into our laps. I saw a Facebook ad where a guy wanted to get rid of his 9 month old Springer Spaniel, one of my husbands favorite dogs. The guy lived in another state and I did message him to see if he would be willing to let me ship him here. He was no longer able to give him the proper care. I haven't heard back from him but am hoping I will. There was also an offer of a truck driver possibly bringing the dog to Oregon. Keeping my fingers crossed I hear back.

All mine dig! Every single one of them. Even the spook! :rolleyes:

How about fostering for a rescue to see if different breed fits what you want & can see how Ruby gets on without long term commitment, may give you a better idea about what you are looking for in a dog (& can cope with).

It can come as a bit of a shock though after having a greyhound just how busy & amount of your attention some dogs need. I have 2 greys & a lurcher, they haven't needed a lot of training and since getting the foster bully mutt I'm busy busy, he needs the mental stimulation so do various training sessions a day & separate walks that are interactive rather than relaxing. for a youngster (11 months now) he's not even that energetic compared to some breeds must be his mastiff side.

I have enjoyed training as he's more responsive its rewarding for me but at same time can be overwhelming on my limited skills, he's a natural watchdog but this can bring up other issues such as barking at visitors or while in car when people get close so more training needed there. Thankfully I don't live where we have many people passing house or garden.

Edited by moofie

Instead of a puppy, especially if you are specifically looking for a calm, confident dog (which pup won't be and you don't know if they will or will grow to be one) I would go with an adult dog that has been there, done that. And has an off switch. :lol

My old dal mix girl Sebau was confident and pretty unflappable, however she didn't get an "off" switch until age 13. She lived to 19. :lol At 13 a six mile walk was still required.

None of my greys have been "rugs" in terms of activity. Diesel was the most low key but he'd still love a good hike or play time. Sully was pretty high energy- we had picked him out because of the energy level so he could go on long walks and hikes with Sebau and he loved it. Rook is also pretty high energy. When we are home he is "on" all day long. If he gets a long walk he'll be "off" for an hour or so. Then he's ready to go again. If the weather is bad we have to come up with other activities to drain his energy. I have treat puzzles, we play with toys, etc.

Look for a mature calm dog of any mix/breed and involve Ruby in picking her companion. Take her with you to meet potential pups. Leave the breed/size open to what Ruby seems to pick. We took Sebau with us to pick a grey. While I think any of the greys we met would have worked, Sully was the one she seemed to like the best. They ended up becoming very close and snoozing snuggled up to each other.

As for nicknames.. some for my pups have been colorful... Sebau was Butthead... aka Queen Butthead of the Universe (she could be rather bossy and stubborn) or Stinky Sue since she LOVED to roll in gross things. Sully was Brat, Trouble, Thief, Love Sponge, Diva... :lol (he was a superb food thief and definitely trouble!) Rook is Booger, Itty Bitty and Pesty Pestilence (the last one because if he really wants something, he will not give up pestering for it. For hours.)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel