Possible Lung Torsion - Prognosis?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs and best thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Declan is home, and seems okay. The positioning for the C/T aggravated his arthritis and LS, but he's not coughing or having difficulty breathing. We'll watch him closely over the weekend and go on from there.

Declan slept through the night, and ate breakfast (0500), but then wouldn't settle. He'd lie down for 3-5 minutes, then get up and move to another bed or wander restlessly. We contacted the critical care vet, who was also concerned that it might signal more fluid buildup. He finally settled down in the early afternoon. Fortunately, there's been no coughing. We think he might have been adjusting back to his normal food from the Science Diet the hospital had him on, and reacting to the last of the sedatives leaving his system. We'll see how he does tonight, and keep our fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

:sad1 Unfortunately, there is no happy ending. Our original suspicion of congestive heart failure is correct. This morning the vet removed 2 liters of fluid from Declan's abdomen, pericardial sac, and pulmonary sac. We're bringing him home this afternoon, and will cuddle and spoil him outrageously until we can arrange a home vet visit.

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts. I'll post after Declan has been reunited with his sister Charlotte. :cry1

Edited by greypop

I am so sorry!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I am so sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hugs. Just hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.