Possible Lung Torsion - Prognosis?

Our almost-11-year old boy Declan started coughing about a week ago, which we put down to allergies. However, it got worse and, last night, he woke up in the middle of the night coughing and unable to breathe, and his legs went out from under him. We took him to the vet this morning, and x-rays show a possible torsion of the middle lobe of one of his lungs. We're waiting on the results of a needle biopsy to rule out infection or a tumor, but the torsion appears the most likely diagnosis.

If it is torsion, we have to decide in the next day whether to have the surgery, or set him free. We hate the thought of letting go, but it's also our responsibility to decide for him when enough is enough, and whether the suffering will be worth it. Any knowledge on the prognosis among greys (especially seniors) with this procedure would be welcome. As would be your good thoughts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes-I do know you,need to move rather quickly one this one. The prognosis isn't terribly good after surgery and the longer you wait the worse the prognosis. Poor Declan--please, if you have the surgery make sure it's done at a high end clinic-tricky surgery and will require a chest tube for a few days post surgery. Absolutely have Amicar on hand. Please keep us updated <3

All the tests so far are inconclusive. They're draining the fluid from the area and then doing an ultrasound to see if it's an encapsulated area, or if they can tell if it's a torsion. Then the plan is to bring him home and see how he does.

What's confusing things is that Declan really doesn't seem as sick (except in this morning's episode) as the literature suggests he should be. It could be that the grey's lung capacity is letting him compensate, it could be it's really not a torsion, or it could be we're fooling ourselves.

No suggestions, but just offering support as I have just been going through lung issues with my dog (coughing, fluid draining, etc.). Crossing my fingers that there is a positive outcome for you.

A good friend's grey had a lung torsion...not once...but twice! I want to say he was somewhere between 5 and 8 years old when the second one occurred. His second surgery was at the veterinary teaching hospital. He made a complete recovery from both. Based on the availability of care in my area, I would only have this done at a veterinary teaching hospital. Sending prayers that you find the answers you need.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

I believe they reccomend a ct scan as a good diagnostic test. Is this clinic set up to do scan's?

That's the step we're deciding on now. If we decide on surgery, we bring him in tomorrow morning, they do a C/T and, if it confirms a torsion, keep him sedated and do the surgery. If the C/T shows a mass, we cancel the surgery and bring Declan home for palliative care.

That's the step we're deciding on now. If we decide on surgery, we bring him in tomorrow morning, they do a C/T and, if it confirms a torsion, keep him sedated and do the surgery. If the C/T shows a mass, we cancel the surgery and bring Declan home for palliative care.

I'll be thinking of you both <3

Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Saying prayers for Declan and you, hoping for the best.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Good thoughts for Declan and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thinking about you guys this morning. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Any updates? :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, they did the pre-op C/T and found no sign of a lung lobe torsion, so the surgery is cancelled. So far, every test has been negative. They're not sure what it is, and are running a couple more tests tonight. They're also giving him IVs to flush the contrast dye from his kidneys. We're bringing Declan home tomorrow afternoon. He's going to be in pain from the positioning for the C/T, and on restricted activity.

Even though we don't have a cause, not needing to undergo surgery is always better. It might be chylothorax (buildup of fatty fluids in the pleural area). It might be some weird ideopathic thing that will never be resolved. We'll just watch and cuddle Declan, and take things as they come.

Thanks to all for the good thoughts; they certainly helped.