Torn Acl - Surgery Required

My mom's lab mix had her acl repaired a couple weeks ago. She did have a complication after with pain. They changed her meds and kept her overnight to rehydrate her and now she's great.

My sister"s aussie was round...he had an under active thyroid.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Five days???

Wow. That seems excessive given that most dogs heal better at home. But I guess better safe than sorry.

I think the OP has an out of town trip this week so the clinic is keeping an eye on Asti.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think the OP has an out of town trip this week so the clinic is keeping an eye on Asti.

Correct! Got sent to east coast for work so I left her there for safe keeping.

She is out and did well. :)

My parents are good sports, but 2 kids and a invalid dog was going to be too much.

The Girls

• 1 month later...

Went for final clearance and...we have a problem. :( she broke a screw and bent the plate. Waiting to hear what surgeon thinks needs to be done. Leave it as all is working good or go back in. Damn! 8 weeks I a pen and still got issues. But she lost 15 pounds.

E2935523-88A8-4825-9045-61295EA322D1.jpg

The Girls

Guest goofydog

Goodness, that looks exactly like what is in my humerus! Though I have 8 screws left LOL.

Wishing for an uncomplicated repair and recovery. Keeping Asti in my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

If you Google "TPLO, Kramer" you will find the story of my mixed breed dog who had a total rupture of his ACL and the HELL he went through.

After all was said and done, it was at least $10,000, and over a year and a half of recovery. We were very unlucky--he got a bone infection and almost died a year after the surgery.

Kramer's initial surgery seemed to go OK, but he just wasn't healing. The doctor eventually blew me off and basically called Kramer a sissy--I no know he probably had an infection festing for a very long time.

Nearly a year to the day after his surgery, I came home from work and he could barely stand. He was actually hot to the touch--and I rushed him off to my vet who admitted him immediately. A different ortho surgeon worked on him, removing the hardware from the TPLO (a screw had broken off in his leg), drained the infection, and he was on massive doses of antibiotics after that for two or three months.

I want to thank my father for paying for all of this--because I sure didn't have $10,000!

I tried to get pet insurance after his first surgery. HAHAHAHHAHAHA. The insurance companies know the odds of the other leg going and the policy arrived with pages and pages and pages of exclusions, making it not worth the paper it was printed on.

Note--this was a BAD and unusual outcome. There are many success stories on the same blog that Kramer's story is on.

Read this. :( looking like Asti is in the same boat. :(

The Girls