Eating Problems

Guest LTJ889

Guest LTJ889

Hi there,

Due to stomach problems we've changed our grey's food twice in the past few months. He's been all better for a month now but now he is being picky with his food. There are no stomach problems as we brought him to the vet and his appetite is normal with other food.

I suspect it is behavioural and maybe he's bored with the food and wants another change! We've settled on a high quality fish based food and won't be changing again.

He doesn't eat his breakfast / dinner right away, might nibble a bit, then eat it three hours later. Would you guys recommend taking it away after half an hour and not giving it back until dinner? Or maybe some other advice?

Thank you! :chow

I used to be 100% for giving them a set time, such as 30 minutes, and then taking up the food. I've since altered that stance because my only dog Annie is often the same way. She'll eat a little bit when it's first put down and then return a couple of hours later to finish it. I can do this because no other animal will get into it.

As much as we all say Greyhounds like routine and don't like changes, as my girl has aged, she herself shakes up her routine and schedule, and eating b'fast at the same time or dragging it out for a couple of hours is one of the many changes she makes over the course of time. This past winter, she did the drag-out-breakfast routine. As soon as warm weather arrived, she started gobbling breakfast when it was put down.

My own personal opinion is do what works for you and your dog. Take it up. Leave it down. I don't think it matters one way or the other with an only dog.

Would you guys recommend taking it away after half an hour and not giving it back until dinner?

Yep. Some people might think I'm mean, but my boys get 15 minutes. If they don't eat, the bowl goes up, and they don't eat until the next feeding time. They've learned that they either eat during that window of time, or they go hungry. It usually doesn't take more than a few missed meals for the dog to get the point. Some determined dogs may go a day or two, but dogs can go much longer than people without eating. They generally won't starve themselves to death out of sheer stubborness.

When you have a routine like this, it's easy to notice changes in eating habits, and to ensure that the dogs aren't stealing food from each other (something to consider if you ever want to add another).

How much are you giving him? And are you adding a little bit of warm water? That helps release the stink, which helps the dogs get motivated to eat it.

I agree--give him 15 minutes and then take it away. Picky dogs are generally created, not born!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck