Aspiration Pneumonia

My brother's doberman has this. Has anyone been through this before? He was hospitalized for six days and they now have him at home. They have him on oxygen and are giving him regular nebulizer treatments. The issue right now is breaking up the phlegm. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, he is super constipated, but at this point refused to eat anything but chicken. Is there a liquid stool softener that can be added to his water or something? Or any other remedies?

This is quite the roller coaster for all of them. Some days are better than others, and usually after a good day, he will then have a really horrible day...

Just trying to find things that will help him breathe easier, and help him cough up that phlegm.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest AngelPup

No experience with this in dogs, but my Mom had issues with swallowing when she was older and had to have her liquids thickened. Is the Dobie older? How did he get the aspiration pneumonia--drinking or eating?

He got it from playing water games with the hose, which obviously they won't be doing again. He's six years old.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Metamucil if he'll eat it in canned food? I don't know about dogs, but in people (especially children with CF) you can do a type of pattern therapy to help loosen the phlegm called chest percussion. Of course he should talk to the vet before starting:

http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/clearing-extra-mucus-from-the-lungs-topic-overview

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest OurGreytLife

My 14 year old lab mix, Walter, had aspiration pneumonia. After being hospitalized for several days, we were told to put Walter in the bathroom with us when we took our shower. The steam would help break up the phlegm. So I laid a thick towel on the floor for him to rest while I showered. The steam treatments helped Walter.