How Worried Should I Be?

I just walked in the door, to be told by DH that Mojo snatched an adult robin out of the air and ate it. Whole.

So, other than the potential gastric distress, how worried should I be?

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

My first galgo, Irys, did the same thing not long after I adopted her. She went back in the house and threw up the entire bird on the bedroom rug about 30 minutes later. Ugh! She caught a few more after that, but never ate another one. :)

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just got off the phone with my vet. She laughed herself sick, said not to worry, and to tell the little bugger to be good. And, not to worry about worms. So, he is still sleeping in the kitchen tonight, JUST IN CASE, but I am not too worried.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Nube caught a fledgling robin in mid-air :) Vet told us not to worry, said we could watch for the beak if we wanted :) Nube was very proud of himself :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Katie hasn't caught a bird, but did scarf down a dead one that had flown into the sliding glass door. Apparently the feathers didn't agree with her, because she then spent the rest of the night throwing up, and re-eating, the bird, especially one wing that seemed to be the most problematic. And no, she wouldn't let me just clean it up... it was hers and she wanted it!

Gophers don't cause as much tummy trouble, but still do a little. She's caught one of those (maybe two... if she did on the second one, she ate it outside), and is quite pleased with herself when she does!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Our Tilly has been caught eating two birds, not sure if she killed them or found them dead and played vulture - but she never had any issues at all (and she has a somewhat sensitive stomach).

I, on the other hand, was traumatized! :ohno

Oh, this brought back some memories! My first greyhound, Batman, swallowed an adult mourning dove, whole, backwards. I called the vet to ask, same as you. The tech who answered the phone was relaying the details to the vet and others in the back, and soon they were all laughing uproariously. He never had so much as a bad fart, and I never found anything in his poop. Even the larger feathers apparently digested. Who knew? :lol :lol :lol Glad Mojo's snack didn't make him ill.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Reminds me of the time Dante snagged a rotting duck carcass while we were camping. I can still smell that stench today. Sleeping in a tent with that was beyond horrible. He, however, suffered no ill effects! He loved eating birds and snagged several out of the air if they flew too close.

Glad Mojo is feeling ok!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow