She Is Eating Inconsistently

Guest MurphysMom

Guest MurphysMom

Just an update! Murphy is doing splendidly, I'm feeding her approx 1.5 cups two times a day of Dynamite dog food, and now she's over the moon when breakfast and dinner time approacheth. She almost fell all over herself getting to her bowl the other night. Her stool is still not as solid as I would like, but she's been on some painkillers while we deal with her broken leg (it was broken before we adopted her), and apparently not-totally-solid-poo is one of the side effects.

Another question (that I hope is not stupid), are there places on a greyhound's body that are more likely to accumulate fat? I mean, is there a possibility that Murphy's ribs will always been prominent and yet she could still be overweight? She's only been with us four weeks now, but I don't want to be like "oh hey wow she's fat" one day down the road. Just curious!

Guest Johberry

Yay! Glad to hear Murphy's doing better. Give her some time. It took several months before our hound finally began producing consistently good stool.

Some hounds have more prominent or "rounded" ribcages and will still show lots of rib even when overweight. Because of this, you can also pay attention to tuck, vertebra, and hipbones. Tips of hipbones should be visible. Our boy is one of those with a rounded ribcage so I assess his weight by looking at the other things.

Members have shared this helpful link in previous threads:

http://greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=weight

Edited by Johberry

Guest MurphysMom

FINALLY I think I figured pics out! Here is a photo of her about a week after we adopted her

IMG_7323_zpsqvlow2yi.jpg

And here she is just a couple days ago

IMG_7462_zpswuk8nnhj.jpg

Guest normaandburrell

She looks really good in those pictures. In the second one she actually looks like she's put on a little weight, and looks ideal. I find that in most greys seeing some ribs and spine, as well as the tips of the hip bones, means the grey is a good weight.