Trouble Breathing

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Hello, I seldom post here anymore but wanted to get some advice. Since last night Lizzie has had trouble breathing. She is taking short labored breaths and her chest is working hard to get them out. We went to the vet this morning. He took x-rays and found mild bronchitis but nothing wrong with the heart or lungs. He took blood work and we're waiting on the results.

I gave her bufferin aspirin last night 2 times, a pill and a half of 325 mg. He said that was too much and wants to wait for it to clear her system before giving her anything else. She hasn't had stomach upset. She ate dinner but no breakfast.

Anyone see these symptoms before? What was the diagnosis? My girl will be 10 next month. Thanks!!

I have no advice, just :grouphug

Google scares the heck out of me sometimes, but this does have a list of breathing problems: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_dg_dyspnea_tachypnea_panting

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No, advise, just lots of good thoughts and prayers. I have chronic congenital bronchitis and know how hard it can be to breathe. There can be an emotional/anxiety component but I am sure lots of pets and kisses from you will help!

Is she making a roaring sound when breathing (increased strider)?? Has it been hotter than usual? Has your vet considered laryngeal paralysis? Could also rule out nasal obstruction--you could do the ole mirror test--hold the mirror close to her nose and make sure she's moving air through both nostrils. It really could be so many causes-please post an update when you can.

My Brindle was rushed to the hospital with labored breathing. She was admitted with an idiopathic spontaneous pneumorthorax. She was placed in an oxygen crate and had several liters of air pulled out of her chest cavity. They kept her for over a week and she had no more incidents after that. She passed a year later of hemangio and I've often wondered if the two were connected.

this was in 2001.

Guest jessicaksu125

Thanks for the replies. Vet should call back around 5:30-6. Hopeful he'll give some antibiotics to treat the bronchitis. He ruled out laryngeal paralysis. I hate seeing her so miserable :( Nothing has really changed to give her anxiety and I stayed home from work to keep her company, and I'm playing audio books for her which she likes!

Edited by jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Still waiting on results of bloodwork. Vet closes in ten minutes so I probably won't hear anything until tomorrow :( poor girl is breathing so heavy. She hasn't touched her dog food but liked the chicken and rice I gave her and she was excited to go outside. So she's in good spirits.

She's been hanging out with me all day. Last night she kept hiding from me, she never never wants me to see when something is wrong.

Guest jessicaksu125

Just got a call, blood work is normal. He wants to see what her stool looks like and have me call in the morning.

This happened to my grey/whippet mix Keeva about a month ago. She presented with labored breathing, lethargy and decreased appetite. Vet took radiographs and diagnosed bronchitis. Keeva was given a bronchodilator, cough medicine and an antibiotic. She recovered from the bronchitis and is doing well for a 13 year old! It did not take long for her to start feeling better once she was on the right meds, good luck with Lizzie!

Sending best thoughts for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.