Congestive Heart Failure...anything Else I Can Do?

Thanks again :)

She doesn't have an appetite for a lot of things right now, but Campbells Chunky Chipotle BBQ Stew seems to be doing the trick for now. :) Maybe my imagination, but it seems as though she is showing more signs that she is ready to go (deep sleeping/breathing, trembling, weakness, etc.).

HPIM2676_zpstlg08qid.jpg

Tucked in for her last night (she has to be under the covers every night) . Ignore the "old dog" warts on her face. Gonna be a sad night without my little companion tomorrow :cry1

HPIM2671_zps01oidubc.jpg

I may not be ready (never would be), but she is. :(

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling so sad for you. I have my own special mutt over here and though I've only had her a few years I can't imagine losing her. I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like many more years down the road (assuming we are lucky enough to have them). All I can say is we're here for you. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm feeling sad for you too - it's so hard. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Thinking of you and wishing you peace.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Thinking of you and hoping for a peaceful passing for Karma.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so sorry. I hope that the knowledge that she was ready will help you feel at peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Godspeed, sweetheart. Hugs to your momma.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug x 1010

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. "Glad" that you are at least at peace with your decision to let her go today.

I am very sorry. You did everything for her and she knew it. She was a sweet girl based on her pics, hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest RICHandJUDE

I recently lost a 13 year old Greyhound to Congestive Heart failure. In late August, she started to cough a lot. The vet did an ultrasound and concluded that she had an enlarged heart and valve problems. We had her on many medicines which seemed to help her for 4 or 5 months. Then the dreaded cough came back. Her biggest problem was that she didn't not want to eat. She continued to lose weight. She was on furosemide, spironolactone, enalapril, Metocarbamol, Vetmedin, and Gabapentin. (she also had some back issues) She did breathe deeper a few times. Some of that could be from the pills. She was happy right up till the end. We tried to control her in our fenced in area but sometimes she ran like the wind. The running did not seem to bother her breathing. If I had to do over, I would have probably taken her to a canine cardiologist. Good luck.

I am so sorry for my previous post. I did not see that your little girl crossed the bridge. May God be with you and your family.

Thank you again for all of the kind messages of support. :grouphug I took the day off of work today, woke up feeling very sad and overwhelmed (is the day after always the worst one??), but am starting to feel much better now. Cleaning all of the beds, bowls, blankets, etc. is always a bit reflective and sad. Luckily I still have 7 other critters around here to keep me busy. Poor Teague hasn't had his usual amount of attention and exercise over the past week, so will take him out for a nice hike tonight. I was thinking of planting a tree or some other native plant (that only we would know of) on our hiking trail. Karma put in so many miles there, it would be nice to have a reminder of her every time we go.

Thanks again :)

I think the plant is a lovely idea.

Saw your post on Timmy's thread and wanted to add my condolences here. I'm so sorry about Karma. The plant idea is wonderful.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest WhiteWave

So very sorry. I know the pain. A week ago today I lost my best little buddy, Pongo. I had him for 17 1/2 yrs. He suffered from CHF for the past 4 yrs, they kept saying he had 3 months to live and then 6 months would pass and they gave him 6 more more months tops and that passed too. But he started having seizures last week. Took him in and he had a brain tumor so I let him go. He was good right up the last 2 days. He ate, went for walks, did his thing, enjoyed his treats, beat up the big dogs, he was the boss.

RIP Karma.