Congestive Heart Failure...anything Else I Can Do?

We'll be thinking of you this afternoon. :goodluck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you :) Okay I have another question. Assuming there is fluid around the lungs will the meds she is on now do anything to help once it is removed or will it just keep filling up? I know it depends on the cause (CHF, cancer, etc.), but in general. This vet was new out of school, and she seemed to know a bit more about all of the medicines/drug options. Will talk about switching up the meds as well when I am there.

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but just wondering how long relief typically lasts for.

I know very little about CHF, but think it's very situational and you'll just have to wait and see, but hopefully someone who knows more will chime in. Glad you have something to try in the meantime and hopefully between this and led adjustments you'll have much more time together. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We got back from the vet a few hours ago. Her chest tap went well (wasn't nearly as bad as I thought). They got around a litre of fluid out. After everything was drained I opted for another x-ray since the lungs and heart were visible this time. The vet said her heart actually looked pretty normal (no murmur or irregular beating either), and she couldn't see any tumours or spots on the lungs. She doesn't actually think it is heart failure judging from what was found. Unfortunately though, I am guessing it is likely cancer :( The fluid has been sent off to be analyzed, I should hear by Monday.

One thing that is worrying is that her breathing rate seems quite fast now. She is resting comfortably and doesn't seem in any distress (her gums are a good colour) but is faster breathing normal? I think it has gradually slowed down in the time we have been home (maybe just heat and stress?).

On the plus side, she started eating again (yaaa!). This was my stress all week long, so despite the fact that her time is near, I at least have some peace knowing that she is feeling better with all of that fluid gone. Will see what tomorrow brings.

My sweet little girl feeling a bit better. Don't mind the bits of food all over my floor (remnants of a week of trying to get her to eat).

HPIM2664_zps4ouzaw34.jpg

She grabbed the dehydrated lung treat (that has been lying there for days) and started to eat it. A small victory.

HPIM2665_zps4dbytiof.jpg

Edited by RedHead

What a sweetie :)

So glad she has gotten some relief.

:bighug for you

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

:wub: No advice, just hugs for you and your darling pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ughh...so it is the next morning and she doesn't want to eat again and seems to be acting tired. :sad1 Maybe just doesn't have a morning appetite, but I have a strong suspicion that the fluid has already built up again. I was so happy seeing her back to her normal self last night. Sigh...everything is closed today but will wait for the results Monday and take if from there. I am at the end of my rope, I feel like I have done everything I can at this point and the ups and downs of the last few weeks have been exhausting.

Just hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gosh, that was a lot of fluid that came out.

Although I have not had your experience with my dogs, my mom had ovarian cancer. She ignored her swelling, sloshing abdomen and did not tell her doctor. She had 2 liters of fluid drained multiple times. That fluid was the primary indicator of her body's response to the cancer.

I say this not to dishearten you. I think you would move mountains for your girl. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I just spoke to the vet about the cytology results from the chest fluid. Ruling out other possibilities (pneumonia/trauma), it is most likely cancer :( Not a surprise, but just a finality before I take her in. I didn't get the results yesterday as they didn't come in, and then I didn't realize the vet office here closed at 5 tonight (it is usually open until 8) so I was unable to take her in both days. I have an appointment for tomorrow to put her down at 7:00, just before closing. That will be my third day in a row, where I have gone through the day with the expectation that I would be bringing her in that night. Sigh...one more night with my dear little Karma. :cry1 I will be happy when this is all over. Thanks for all of the positive messages and support.

Hugs and more hugs.

I'm so sorry. :( I wish there were something more to to or say. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Try to fill tonight and tomorrow with all of her favorite things and just enjoy that precious time. I know, much easier said than done.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hopefully her appetite is still improved enough that you can get her a cheeseburger or something. I'm really sorry you're going through this. It's never easy to let go.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I've been following your journey and just want to add my hugs. I am so sorry :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.