7 Mo. Home And What Am I Doing Wrong? Please Help

Guest Moonie12

I'm late to this, so I'm hoping Moonie is doing better.

Something I noticed when reading was that Moonie was doing fine and then regressed. At the same time I read that your roommate had a cat but it had since died. Was there a correlation between the two events?

Guest Amber

Am i right in thinking you used a shock collar to stop him barking?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, i realise you're desperate but no wonder he is peeing himself with stress if he was shocked for expressing his anxiety by barking.

this dog sounds very high maintenance and extremely stressed most of the time, i think he would do better in an experienced greyhound home with other greyhound buddies and stay at home mom. I understand that you love him but the situation sounds really unfair on you both, i would return him to the group and maybe think about a more laid back dog next time.

actually, using the e collar may have created a nervous wreck, if the group knew all this they would most likely want the dog returned, please do the right thing for this dog and return him, he's suffering.

Edited by Amber

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Moonie12

Update with Moonie. I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement and advice. To address the shock collar, it keeps the whining from escalating into barking. I know you may disagree but it has worked to where I no longer use it. My aunt watched him for an over night and loves him and said anytime she would watch him. She kept telling me how easy he is! He got along with her cats which I was worried about. He usually wants nothing to do with them, he won't even look at them! I think his confidence is better and feels more comfortable.

I took him for a run to the dog park so he was tired out last Sunday. After that I recorded him alone out of the kennel for the first time for 1 hour and 45 minutes. After 15 minutes he whined, went to the back door and then laid on his bed. It lasted a minute! No barking, no panic!! I did not up his meds or add anything else. The walker has worked miracles with him! He has had no accidents in the kennel since I hired her. I had emailed the rescue and for what ever reason she didn't get back to me, which is fine because he seems to have settled in. It took time and patience but I feel like we have climbed a mountain! As far as another greyhound, I'm sure there will be a point when I'm ready to add another. We saw our first grey at the park and it seemed as though they knew each other. It was the first time he has shown any dominance and he tried to mount her! He has never done anything like that with any other dogs! LOL! Again thanks everyone! This site is so helpful and Moonie and I have come a long way.

Congratulations you and Moonie have come a long way!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Lillypad

I am so very happy things are working out well. There is most definitely a settling in curve and it seems you have weathered it like a trouper. I am curious about the mounting. I hope more experienced Greytalkers can advise you on that. Best of wishes for many years of happiness with your boy, you deserve it, you have worked hard at making a home for him.

Guest Amber

Ok glad he is doing better but please don't put a shock collar on him ever again. Its just like playing with fire, although it may appear to 'work' to some extent, you don't know what the long term consequences of using a shock collar might be.

I doubt the group you adopted him from would approve of using a shock collar, at least i hope not.

The mounting behavior was likely just over-excitement. My dog never mounts any dogs around home, but when we went to GiG and I put him in the play area, he tried three different dogs <_< He just gets so overly-stimulated he doesn't know what to do, so the default behavior is mounting.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Moonie12

So I did some alone training with him out of the kennel. No pee, left the curtains alone, didn't chew the door trim! All was good for the short periods of time I was gone. I left him in the cabin because it was too hot this past weekend. He was fine. Left him out Monday while I was at work, all was good. Today the curtains were down and the door handle chewed. So it's back to the kennel again. It's fine, he doesn't mind it. He goes in with out any problems. Just thought I'd give him the space while I'm away. I'll try again with more alone training. Baby steps with him I guess.

You have made incredible progress! Sometimes for every step forward there is a step back. He's just needs the additional reinforcement that continued training brings. Moonie don't get discouraged you have come a long long way and I applaud your dedication and hard work.

With each step back I think he will move forward much faster. Did anything happen yesterday that could have set him off -- thunder storms, noises?? anything unusual that could have scared him?

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Moonie12

No. Weather was ok. Rain but nothing too bad. He doesn't seem to mind a noise environment. I work at a dealership and had him back with me by the detailed and auto body guy. They made lots of noise and he was fine. I can vacuum right next to him and he won't get up. On the 4th fireworks didn't bother him either. So not sure why he did that, again. I had bags of treats in reach and he never gets into them. I'll do more work and try again. I'm taking him to the cabin again this weekend. So I'll see how he does there.

• 10 months later...
Guest Moonie12

Just an update. I see there are a lot of SA topics. As you know I have done just about everything. I have tried Prozac, and the last was Trazadone. Both in multiple doses. Neither worked. Moonie would have days where he was ok and then weeks of super stressed out. I have spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills, fixing the chewed door knobs, carpet, my bed sheets and bedding, baby gates, dog walker, not to mention of all the things to keep him busy while I was away. I have stayed home on weekends too worried he would freak out. Two months ago I took him off all meds and started him at a doggie day care. It is not cheap but it has let me have better alone trying results. At the end of the day he is too tired to get too worked up. I am now to the point where I can kennel him when I go out. He will stand and pant, maybe whine a little for a bit then lay down and actually sleep, get up do that all again. He no longer rips up his bed, chews on the bars, barks, or goes to the bathroom in there. I have been kenneling him EVERY night for 2 months when we get home just so he is used to being in there RELAXED. I was just about to give him back and the rescue group thought it was time too. I said I would give it this last chance and so far it has worked. I know not everyone can afford it, but he loves it there and he is not alone stressed ruining the house. Just an FYI... I think he would get nervous all over again after the dog walkers would leave. It was not enough and what's the point if he finds things to ruin twice a day! So, it was day care or give him back. I feel that I am in the position to bring him everyday to day care. That allows me successful alone training. I honestly don't think he will be 100% but this is the best it's been since I got him.