Vomiting & Diarrhea After Eating Raw Bone

We have a sick pup on our hands :(

We've been trying to diversify Sam's diet a little by adding some large, raw bones. We started with turkey necks, he loved them and took them well, no GI issues.

Yesterday afternoon, we gave him a relatively large beef joint. He enjoyed chewing slowly on it, no gulping or choking, and he left the majority of the bone itself uneaten. The first stool he passed afterwards was normal, and we gave him 1/3 his usual kibble dinner that evening.

This morning, at about 1am, he threw up, and has been doing so about once an hour (it's 7:30 where I am now). He first threw up meat & kibble, and then mostly bile with small pieces of bone, and finally just water. During that time, he also began having completely liquid diarrhea, also ~ once an hour. The diarrhea seemed pink-ish or red-ish, but it was tough to say, and because he passed it on grass we couldn't really check. We tried giving him a little bit of food to help with the bile, but he would not take it. We were also giving him a water, which he was VERY interested in and drank quickly, but he just threw it up afterwards, even when we tried only letting him have a little bit at a time. He seemed most comfortable when he made himself a little dirt-bed in the soil in the garden and has been lying down when not standing up to be sick. He alternates shivering and panting, but still seems well enough to perk up and follow a squirrel and a cat along the back fence. He's sleeping on his bed now. He's breathing normally and his stomach doesn't look distended.

We called the emergency vet, and they told us that they didn't think it was anything that needed immediate attention. They suggested we withhold food for 12 hours and water for 6, and that if he continues to vomit and have diarrhea under those circumstances, we should take him to our regular vet to take a closer look. We'll probably still call our regular vet once they open this morning to get their input.

I knew that some vomit and diarrhea were par for the course if we started introducing raw diet components, but this is beyond what we were expecting. Is this within the realm of normal? It breaks my heart to see Sam feeling so sick.

GT%20Sig_zpsykmtirf5.jpeg

Sam, formerly known as Macabres Mandate

Featuring his humans Alexandra & Paul

Henry got sick the first time I gave him a raw knuckle bone from the butcher shop. The bone was huge (I'd say the size of a cantaloupe). I realized quickly that something like that can be hard on their stomach if they're not used to being fed raw. I'd follow the advice of your e-vet, unless he starts getting dehyrdated and lethargic. If that happens, you can take him in for an antiemetic and sub-q fluids.

Poor Sam-sure hope he is feeling better by now. Though a raw feeder I stay away from knuckle/joint bones. Had a similar experience and then found out it was not uncommon with knuckle/joint bones. I don't know why it is.So sorry it didn't agree with him. Turkey necks are good. Never had any problem with them :)

Edited by racindog

Vomiting multiple times in one day after eating a bone is a potential emergency. I'd take him in to the vet. He may just have gastritis and irritation from having something he's not used to, but it could be worse. If anyone calls us saying their dog vomited every hour we'd be having them in right away as a precaution for bloodwork and x-rays and potential hospitalization.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hope he's OK..... Please keep us updated.

I agree he should be checked.

My dogs eat raw and have never, ever had a severe reaction like that, even when they first made the switch.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

No, that is not normal. I would be into the vet given your description. Hoping everything is okay. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have had dogs vomit up chunks of bone in bile (if they bite off pieces that are too large like beef bones, or large chunks of lamb/turkey bones). It is a one time thing though and never leads to any of the symptoms you are describing. Perhaps he has a blockage or perforation from a bone?? Either way, I hope it has passed and he is doing okay now. I have never had a dog react that way when starting raw, definitely not a normal thing. Crossing fingers everything is okay today!

Guest Marsroving

How is he doing today? We feed raw here as well and haven't had anything like that happen! I really hope your boy is doing better!

Thank you for all your responses!

Update:

We called our regular vet once they opened. By that time, Sam had stopped vomiting and was asleep. They said if he vomited again, lost his appetite, or was constipated, they would be concerned about a blockage and we should bring him in.

But my big dork slept through the day, woke up for dinner, and though it took another 6 hours, took a big poo in the yard without batting an eye. He was feeling fine as soon as he woke up!

He's back to normal, but I think we will be sticking to turkey necks from now on...

GT%20Sig_zpsykmtirf5.jpeg

Sam, formerly known as Macabres Mandate

Featuring his humans Alexandra & Paul

Guest Johberry

Just saw this and wanted to say glad your pup is doing okay! We feed raw here as well and only problem we had was really bad tummy upset from turkey necks. Anyways, glad everything is okay. :)

What a relief! I was really worried you weren't responding because you were at the emergency vet. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."