Is This Too Much?

Guest catcre

Guest catcre

My 11 year old has to have dental work with 3 possible extractions. I have been quoted 1200-1500 dollars for this procedure. Is this too much? Should I get a second opinion?

It depends on where you are. Major cities have higher costs. It also depends on the practice, is it your regular vet? Is it a dental surgeon? When my 11 year old had extractions last year in NYC it was approximately $4,000. Cost killed me but she made it through and it was risky as she had kidney disease.

I have found that dentist costs more than GPs. And also, location. The northeast is famous for being expensive. My 7 yr old just had a dental with 2 extractions, it was under $400. When my 15 yr old went to the dentist (because she never lost a patient to anesthesia) and her specialty was elder and special needs dogs, that cost me $3000. But I'd do that all over again. the 15 yr old survived the dental (she just didn't survive the winter the following month)

When I was in college I had an extraction because it was a back tooth and cheaper than a root canal. I think it was like $150 for the one tooth... but I didn't have to be put under.

Oops, I was assuming you meant a people dentist! I was thinking this was in Off Topic... Carry on :music

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I have found that dentist costs more than GPs. And also, location. The northeast is famous for being expensive. My 7 yr old just had a dental with 2 extractions, it was under $400. When my 15 yr old went to the dentist (because she never lost a patient to anesthesia) and her specialty was elder and special needs dogs, that cost me $3000. But I'd do that all over again. the 15 yr old survived the dental (she just didn't survive the winter the following month)

Yes, I have found that the dentists are far more expensive, but ultimately, for me at least, worth it. It also helped that they always made it a point to tell me that the anesthesiologist had gone to OSU and gone through the greyhound program... although I still sat in the waiting room the entire day as I my being there would change any outcome.

Knowing their protocol would help. I assume they run bloods, place cath and run fluids, certified or licensed tech to monitor full anesthesia parameters, intraoral rads, root planning, antibiotic injection and to go home, oral blocks, possible pain meds........ You get the point.

In January 2014, Annie had a dental, no extractions. The cost for everything was just over $600. I had been given an estimate of $1,200 because the vet thought there would be extractions. Once the teeth were cleaned, turns out they were fine. As was stated, cost depends on location as well as what is done.

Edited by Feisty49

Summer had a dental in December. The price for the dental was about $450 and she had 5 extractions (3 lower front incisors and 2 upper 4th premolars). The bill was $1100 something. Her insurance covered the extractions.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Buck had a dental about 3 or 4 years ago at our then regular vet in the Lakewood (somewhat affluent and no, we don't live there) area of Dallas proper. IIRC it was $250 for the dental., $85 for the blood and $25 a tooth - no molars were extracted). I think with hazardous waste etc. it was about $450.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg