Separation Anxiety?

Guest sweeney

Guest sweeney

Hey guys, My first time posting, I couldnt find any posts that sounded similar to my situation so I though Id ask.

Ive had my greyhound Dj for a little over three years now. Hes a great dog just about never barks and only used to cry a bit if I left him alone during a party. For example, I would take him to my parents house for christmas eve, and we would setup his cage and his bed and everything upstairs away from everyone else so he didnt have to deal with people. as soon as I would walk downstairs hed start crying and wouldnt stop. He never does this when I leave for work during the day though.

Okay so back to the original question. A few nights ago for the first time in many months I've allowed him to come sleep in my room, on the floor, no crate. He was more or less fine with it, the second night we allowed it he made a ton of noise and my GF couldnt sleep at all so we had to have him sleep in his cage downstairs again. Last night we had him upstairs with us while we watched tv and I brought him down to his cage to go to bed. As soon as I came upstairs he started crying. I figured I would ignore it and he would calm down. Then he started full on barking. I let him sit for a couple minutes longer and then broke down and let him out of his cage and come upstairs to sleep in our room again.

Now I figured he had a little seperation anxiety from what would happen at say like the christmas party but this is something new completely. Mostly because he hates going up/down stairs to get to our bedroom and now he is howling to come back up with us. Is the only option to allow him to sleep up there? Is there anything we can do to make him comfortable with sleeping in his cage again?

So he normally sleeps downstairs, in his crate.

One night he slept in your room, not in his crate

2nd night he was restless in your room, without crate

3rd night tried to put him in crate downstairs and he fussed but was content back in your room.

What about putting his crate in your BR... might that be all the components together... he's with his pack, and in his crate, which he seems to enjoy?

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest sweeney

So he normally sleeps downstairs, in his crate.

One night he slept in your room, not in his crate

2nd night he was restless in your room, without crate

3rd night tried to put him in crate downstairs and he fussed but was content back in your room.

What about putting his crate in your BR... might that be all the components together... he's with his pack, and in his crate, which he seems to enjoy?

I would but our room isnt large enough for his crate to stay in there :/

if we left the crate in the room we wouldnt be able to walk around our bed or get in our closet. We've done it before, after he had surgery for his teeth or if we had a party at our place and he was hiding out for the night, but keeping the crate up there long term isnt really an option

Guest sweeney

Is it a possibility to keep the crate door and bedroom door open so that he can choose where to sleep? Jake sleeps in our room most of the time, but sometimes he wanders to other rooms. I think he would freak out if he couldn't get into our room though.

I can try keeping him in our guest room across the hall with his cage, still tight but atleast it doesnt get used often. Our biggest concern leaving him uncrated with roam of the house or a few rooms were accidents. Hes done it in the past where we would wake up to poop/pee by the door in the morning so we tried to stay away from it. Its been awhile since hes done it though so we've been trying to give him a little more freedom

How late do you let him out for his last chance to P&P? A healthy dog should be able to hold it for 7 or 8 hours overnight, and if he's doing it by the door maybe he's just not telling you at night he has to go.

What kind of noise was he making when in your room? It sounds unusual to me that a Greyhound makes enough noise at night to keep someone awake. I'm thinking there was a reason. Was he cold? Did he have to go potty? Was he hungry? Some dogs need a treat in the evening to get through the night.

It's pretty obvious he doesn't like being alone at night, which is the norm for Greyhounds. I'm surprised he didn't protest being alone at night before this. Now that he's been introduced to spending the night in your bedroom, I don't know if it can be undone. Maybe someone else will have an answer with that regard.

ETA: The crying when he's separated during a party is because he knows there are lots of people downstairs. Greyhounds are sociable animals and he wants to be there. When you go to work, he is alone and, luckily, isn't unhappy about it.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest sweeney

How late do you let him out for his last chance to P&P? A healthy dog should be able to hold it for 7 or 8 hours overnight, and if he's doing it by the door maybe he's just not telling you at night he has to go.

What kind of noise was he making when in your room? It sounds unusual to me that a Greyhound makes enough noise at night to keep someone awake. I'm thinking there was a reason. Was he cold? Did he have to go potty? Was he hungry? Some dogs need a treat in the evening to get through the night.

It's pretty obvious he doesn't like being alone at night, which is the norm for Greyhounds. I'm surprised he didn't protest being alone at night before this. Now that he's been introduced to spending the night in your bedroom, I don't know if it can be undone. Maybe someone else will have an answer with that regard.

ETA: The crying when he's separated during a party is because he knows there are lots of people downstairs. Greyhounds are sociable animals and he wants to be there. When you go to work, he is alone and, luckily, isn't unhappy about it.

Thanks for the response.

He recently had a bunch of teeth removed and occasionally makes this licking/slobbering noise (hard to describe), I dont notice it at all but my GF is a (very) light sleeper and it wakes her up throughout the night.

I usually feed him around 6 and take him out again around 7ish, maybe I should take him out a little later, hes never really had much of an issue with the exception of those few times and never usually wants to go out at night.

Thats actually strange about the parties because when there are a bunch of people he tends to get nervous and pees everywhere even if he just came back in from going outside

Thanks for the response.

He recently had a bunch of teeth removed and occasionally makes this licking/slobbering noise (hard to describe), I dont notice it at all but my GF is a (very) light sleeper and it wakes her up throughout the night.

I usually feed him around 6 and take him out again around 7ish, maybe I should take him out a little later, hes never really had much of an issue with the exception of those few times and never usually wants to go out at night.

Thats actually strange about the parties because when there are a bunch of people he tends to get nervous and pees everywhere even if he just came back in from going outside

If we didn't love our Greyhounds so much, we'd tear our hair out with their inconsistencies. Oh wait, maybe we already do! :)

My girl Annie does her last P&P at 7:30ish. She often goes 12 hours because she likes to sleep in, don't 'cha know. I often have to insist she get up and get her skinny butt outside. She's never had an accident in the house, but if she did during the night, her last outing of the evening would be much later than 7:30.

My only suggestion to avoid any issue with a P&P, if you're going to let him be uncrated at night, is to insist he go out later in the evening, say 9 o'clock.

Maybe his licking/slobbering will let up the longer it's been since his dental. Is that a possibility? Somebody else is sure to have a suggestion for alleviating that. Good luck!

Guest kisstherain

Hi,

I agree with the previous posters about why he cries when you leave him upstairs at a party and is quiet when you leave for work. When I first got my girl, she was fine when I left to go run an errand, but if I lingered outside the front door talking, I would immediately hear crying and whining because she knew I was outside and she was sad that she could not come.

As for the licking, I would agree it might be because of his teeth. The first night I had my girl home she also spent the whole night making a smacking opening/closing mouth noise constantly which made it hard to sleep for me as well. I attribute it to nervousness though because she stopped after the first two nights. If you are ok with him sleeping in your room, maybe you can try (it might be very painful for your gf) letting him sleep in there 2-3 nights and see if the licking noises go away. Now that he has a taste of sleeping with you guys he probably no longer wants to sleep by himself. Hope everything works out!

Guest sweeney

Hey guys, just wanted to update you!

Ive let him sleep upstairs with us and last night was actually his first good night so hopefully it sticks. We ended up leaving the door wide open to our room and our guest room and brough his bed -not cage- upstairs. Hes been quite all night and then decides to go downstairs to sleep in his cage around 5am. Hopefully this turns into a habbit and wasnt a one night fluke!

Hey guys, just wanted to update you!

Ive let him sleep upstairs with us and last night was actually his first good night so hopefully it sticks. We ended up leaving the door wide open to our room and our guest room and brough his bed -not cage- upstairs. Hes been quite all night and then decides to go downstairs to sleep in his cage around 5am. Hopefully this turns into a habbit and wasnt a one night fluke!

Sounds like that might be what works for you. Good luck!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Guest sweeney

So the past two nights hes gone downstairs around 4am and some time between then and 6 am hes been peeing on our carpet by the backdoor. He was doing so well. When he did it two nights ago I chalked it up to not walking him before bed so I walked him at like 930pm thinking this would solve the problem but he peed again this morning.

Any ideas? I think I'm going to have to keep him locked in his cage at night again :/

Guest kisstherain

Do you think you could possibly bring his bed into your room and then keep the door closed? Would he make a fuss? Perhaps when he gets up to go downstairs he wants to pee. Maybe next time you notice him going down stairs, you could follow him and let him out, then go back to sleep.

• 1 month later...
Guest KK_The_Grey

Hi,

I realize that this is an older thread. I hope your hound is doing better. I just wanted to ad that our girl sleeps with us on her dog bed and we close our door.

Once, she went out on the balcony in the morning and peed because she couldn't hold it/thought it's ok to pee there, since it's 'outside'.

It seems to me that 6 or even 7 pm is very early for a last walk. We take our dog out around 11 pm and, in the morning, around 7:15 am and that seems to be ok with her. Sometimes, on the weekends, she sleeps in with us until 8 or 9 but usually, she needs to go before then.

Good luck :)