Lickng Her..uh...lady Parts...

Guest MackFamilyGreys

Guest MackFamilyGreys

Ok. I'm used to dogs licking things, but this has been going on too long. Obviously something is bothering her is there a common cause or remedy to investigate? Or are we off to the vet again?

Does she look red? Any discharge? She could have a yeast infection or some sort of UTI. If it has been going on for a while, I would make the vet trip.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Does she look red? Any discharge? She could have a yeast infection or some sort of UTI. If it has been going on for a while, I would make the vet trip.

This. Continuous and/or near constant licking would be a sign to me of an issue. Time for a trip to the vet.

Guest AngelPup

How long have you had her? Is this something 'new' or since adoption. Our Cindy Lou has a hooded vulva and I need to keep that area clean and dry or she starts to really spend a lot of time licking down there. It gets red/irritated easily. I bought her antibacterial/fungal dog wipes (can be used anywhere) and that seems to help. But my vet also said I could use peroxide and cotton ball too. Luckily, as long as I keep that area clean and dry, she's good. Sometimes they need surgery to remove the extra skin in that area.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest MackFamilyGreys

We've had her about six months, but this is new in the last couple of days. She's not bothering with it today, but we already have an appointment with the vet. We'll see.

I've had Violet for 3 1/2 yrs and we recently started to have this issue. She's probably always been more interested than most, but in the last few months she's become quite determined. My vet was unconcerned - she has the extra skin flap as well and felt it was better I leave it alone lest I draw more attention to it - but I'm thinking maybe I should try a little neosporin or some kind of wipe only because the increase in attention is new. I'm curious too hear more about what has worked for others with this issue and hear your resolution if you reach one.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MackFamilyGreys

Nothing to worry about according to the vet. No infections or anything. The anal glands were a little swollen (there's something I'd never thought I'd type out) that was probably leading to her focus on that area.

Guest AngelPup

Good news! Yeah, there are a lot of topics we never thought we'd be discussing on message boards.... Join the club!