Change In Crate Behavior -- Push Bedding Away

Guest Lenslen

Guest Lenslen

Hello! I've had my greyhound for almost six months now. He has always been really good in his crate. He gets in it all by himself every morning when I leave for work. He used to just relax, and go right to sleep in it. However, about a month ago, Ziggy started to push his crate pad and blankets to the front of the crate, and he curls up in the back of the crate on no padding. I also used to keep the crate covered, as it felt much cozier. Around the same time he started pushing the bedding to the side, he started pulling the crate coverings through the bars of the crate and tearing up the crate cover. What could this change of behavior be from? Has he just gotten bored? We have had the same routine for six months now, and all of this started happening about a month ago.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks you!

Lindsey

He could be too warm, but it could also just be boredom. I have a grey who has 6 beds and sleeps on the ceramic tile...go figure.

PS - Greyhounds are weird. Cute , but weird. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

One of the things you can count on with a Greyhound is change. Whether it be where they sleep, what they eat, how they poo... they're always morphing. Greyhounds like routines but there's always something they like to switch around once in a while.

The first thought I had was maybe he's not liking the crate as much. Many people always crate. Many don't. Something to think about.

Any special reason you're still crating after six months? To me a crate is an awesome tool for housebreaking, but if you've got a housebroken dog, you might consider just leaving the door open for a while and see how it goes (to the crate, obviously!). Crates really aren't meant to be forever.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like he's hot- uncover please and reduce the bedding. if you feel better w/ a crate and your dog doesn't mind, then why loose it? i hang a water bucket in the crate, not a ton of water but enough if they are hot or thirsty.http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.catshow/catid/148/cname/Stainless_Pails this is a nice flat back pail, i just clip it on w/ either a double clip or caribener clip(sp??)

Well flamers get ready....here's your chance.....

the type of behavior you describe has been associated with something called the rabies miasm. Basically its a reaction to the rabies shot. I had 2 that did that and one-Minny- was killed by his last rabies shot. Had I known about this I would never have given him what turned out to be the fatal shot-his body just couldn't stand anymore of it. He was only 9. While I don't think the bedding thing is mentioned in this particular article here's a little info:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rabies-miasm-in-dogs/