Painkiller Tonight?

Today, we had Alex in for a dental and fatty tumor removal on the lower part of his rib cage. He was stoned when we brought him home late this afternoon, the poor ol' boy. He is 10.

Since then, 4 hours ago, he pants, stands, paces, won't lie down; he won't eat a morsel (vet says okay to offer something small and soft like cheese), won't make eye contact, and most importantly, he whimpers. He drank a little water and kept it down. He has been out to potty a couple of times.

My question is this...

The vet prescribed Previcox, 227 mg, 1 tablet per day for 5 days... Specifically starting tomorrow morning. Alex appears to be in pain now, and we are worried. Should we give him anything tonight?

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Thanks tbhounds, for your message. I just checked the printout/receipt from the vet. Here is what Alex had today...

Isoflurane

Propoflo injection

Rimadyl injection > 1cc (this is NSAID?)

Torbutrol

Flo-cillin (Pen/Dualcillin) Injection

Atropine

His surgery was 10 hours ago.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

He has settled - finally. Now he is conked out on the tile floor, next to his bed.

His wrap around his chest seemed tight. We removed it, changed the bloody (dried blood) gauze, and re-wrapped him. It was either a coincidence, or it may have made him more comfortable, as he stretched out on the floor and zonked out after the re-wrap.

Yes, I forgot to add, his large back upper molar was removed. It had to be cut into three pieces to get it out.

The vet had to cut into part of the muscle to remove the tumor. He was expecting it to be contained and outside the muscle, but it wasn't.

Tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for your help and concern, tbhounds!

Guest OPointyDog

Our male gets really agitated from opiates - much like what you described. It does wear off, and hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow when it is out of his system!

Edited by OPointyDog

Guest sireltonsmom

Hope our Alex is much better today. What tbhounds said - they give pain killer with surgery and we start the next day. I would imagine he's uncomfortable if they had to cut into muscle. Kisses from Aunt Ginny, Uncle Al, Mindy and Beau!

our Rainey reacted horribly to opiates....she got a shot the first time she had pancreatitis and was wonky like that until 3am. We made sure to tell the vets not to use opiates after that....well, except for when we went to let her go. I didn't think because I was so upset over losing her and forgot to say something to the person doing the euthanasia. Sadly the last few minutes of her life were very horrible for her and us due to the reaction. :(

glad your pup's feeling better,.... poor babe. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

RaineysMom, what an awful time that was for all of you. I am so sorry.

Alex is getting better... Thank you. Yesterday morning, he was still acting odd. Probably pain. When his vet called to check up on him, he had us take his temperature and see if his gums were pink. Since he didn't have a fever, the vet prescribed an extra pain med, Tramadol, along with the Previcox already prescribed. This seemed to help, and by last night, I was starting to see hints of his big goofy personality start to re-emerge.