Scolding One And The Other Is Upset

So Kasey has been pooping in the house over the past year or so. Not every day, it really is irregular as I can't seem to find a pattern, but I do know why. I'm taking too long to get ready in the morning and he won't hold it before we go for our walk. I digress. I caught him RIGHT in the act today, probably the first time I've been bang on, so I scolded him for doing so....and he knew he did wrong...... the problem is.....Ryder thinks HE did something wrong. He went to go sulk on his bed away from me......while Kasey is his usual dopey self but knew he was in trouble.

Anyone else have a problem when mad at one and the other or another in the pack gets upset too thinking you are mad at them as well? I'm not sure how to really overcome this problem, although I do reassure Ryder it's not him, he's a great dog, he gets lots of affection etc. 9 times out of 10 it's always Kasey that is pushing the buttons, Kasey is the one that is told to lie down when getting utterly annoying with the bed fluffing, or incessant licking etc. and Ry gets all upset because he thinks I'm upset with him.

Yes I know, my fault, I should be getting ready and taking them out sooner, but he's been able to hold it plenty of times before and knows our routine. I feel like he's becoming ok with this behaviour lately though.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've sure had this happen. After I scold the other dog (using the dog's name who was being scolded and making sure all focus and body was facing the scolded dog), I make sure I go and praise and pet the other one using their name in a happy voice telling them how good they are. Doodles caught on to it and seemed to take great pleasure in Carl getting in trouble. After a few times of having scolded Carl and she'd come rushing up to me with a big smile and demanding petting and attention.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have a question, you said that you know why he is having accidents (because you are taking too long to take him out first thing), so why would you scold him for something that is your fault? And if this is the case, shouldn't you be attempting to do a better job by them and take them out sooner? Set them up for success, not failure.

As far as the other feeling bad, unless you are scolding, then acting mad for more than 30 seconds after the fact, there shouldn't be any issue of another hound thinking they did wrong. When you scold, its over 30 seconds after the fact. There shouldn't be any "cold shoulder" or "mad looks" or other reactions. Dogs live in the moment and have no cognitive ability to understand you are upset for something that happened 10 minutes ago. Same thing as when people come home to a mess and say the dog is acting "guilty". The reason the dog is acting guilty is because it has learned that when the owner comes home, he/she gets in trouble. The dog doesn't understand why.

There are times when I have to raise my voice at Mazy - just briefly, not a rant. Poor Mikey looks mortified so I always immediately say his name along with "good boy". Hurt feelings vanish.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Easy peasy: Don't scold.

If I catch someone about to, or starting to, potty inside, just "AAAAAH" to interrupt, followed by a cheerful "Let's go out!"

We have a new dog here right now, so we go out for a quickie before breakfast. I keep my shoes right outside the bedroom door and a jacket by the door. If *I* can't wait long enough to run them out and back in, I take them in the bathroom with me. Works pretty well, no raised voices needed. :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have a question, you said that you know why he is having accidents (because you are taking too long to take him out first thing), so why would you scold him for something that is your fault? And if this is the case, shouldn't you be attempting to do a better job by them and take them out sooner? Set them up for success, not failure.

Yep. No need to scold your dogs period, management and training are your friends, but I feel bad for your dog that he's not getting taken out when he needs to go and is then scolded when he can't hold it anymore. Really?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest k9soul

One of my hounds (Cole) is super sensitive and if I even have an annoyed tone of voice about something, not aimed at the dogs at all (you know, how you might mutter because you can't find your car keys or something), he gets concerned and comes up to me wagging and looking conciliatory. I just tell him "it's ok, you're a good boy" and he seems reassured.

Agree. When one of our dogs has a potty accident, I *always* blame myself and try to do better rather than scold the dog.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest MnMDogs

Yep. No need to scold your dogs period, management and training are your friends, but I feel bad for your dog that he's not getting taken out when he needs to go and is then scolded when he can't hold it anymore. Really?

Yes, agree 100% here. Especially since I think Kasey is an older hound - just because he could hold it before, doesn't mean he still can, and he probably doesn't want to poop in the house any more than you want him to poop in the house.