Loose Stool: Dry Food Recommendations?

Guest Tiger

Guest Tiger

Tiger has loose stool. I mix her dry food (FROMM gold brand) with 2 scoops of Olewo carrots. She does best of a raw diet, but when I travel and leave her with my parents, they do not want to deal with raw. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Definitely try the IAMs green bag, but cut back or eliminate the carrots entirely until you know how it works.

If you need something else to try, we have had excellent results from Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice. It digests really well. We do use the carrots with it, but we have a boy with a very sensitive stomach. Precise can be a little harder to locate locally, but can be ordered online from Wag.com and other suppliers.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I also feed Iams Green Bag, large breed. It works and the price is right.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

No way would I give my dogs any cheap food but thats just me. I give my dogs yogurt every morning-about 2-3 ounces and it seems to work extremely well at preventing loose bowels. Its been working for years on many dogs. Once they get loose bowels it helps to give them some probiotics sometimes. I use Primal Defense and my vet reccommended those kind called Pearls. I too feed raw if possible and if not possible Gilly gets the Fromms Holistic Gold and K9 Reba gets the Orijen Adult. Bobber has to eat Solid Gold Holistic Blendz because she has protein in her urine. But no problems. I am impressed with the Fromms. I have only used it for around a year but Gilly loves it and does very well with it. K9 Reba does great with the Orijen but she is high drive so she needs that kind of jam packed nutrition more.

Edited by racindog

Guest Johberry

Our boy is mostly raw-fed as well. When we travel to visit family, we feed Ziwipeak with success. It's an "air-dried" raw food that doesn't need to be rehydrated. The consistency is like jerky. We give that along with mushy/watery Olewo because of the dryness of the food. It's very pricey but worth it to us because it doesn't give our hound an upset tummy like most dry food. We always keep a small bag in the house as it's convenient to feed in a pinch if we forget to defrost meals. Pumpkin doesn't do much here for loose stools. The only things that have worked are Olewo carrots and/or a few tablespoons of gel/paste of slippery elm bark powder/water mix in his food.

Edited by Johberry

I adopted a new dog in February and he had large volume, loose, mushy stools and terrible gas. Fecal was negative so I put him on a digestive enzyme/probiotic by Naturvet. 1/4 teaspoon per cup of food. I could see a difference in 48 hours. Within a few weeks, stool volume was less than half, stool was firm and easy to pick up, and gas was gone. I ordered it from Amazon, but you might be able to find it locally. I know Pet Supermarket here has it in stock.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My epitaph should read "...then I threw a green bag of Iams in the cart". :lol

I'd fed Iams for years before "those in the know" on forums lectured me about the demon corn. I had a dog with bloody runs, tested within an inch of his life and with a standing script for Flagyl. This was before grain free and a lot of current high end foods.

No results with Wellness, Solid Gold, California Natural and every other high end food at the time. Finally I just called it a day and threw the green bag in the cart. Day one of transition it started working and in day three we had sidewalk bouncing poop. :) Posted about it in 2003 on another forum and received a heartfelt thank you from Germany from a man who had tried everything with his GSD and only Iams worked.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OPointyDog

Both of my hounds have had trouble with diarrhea. The green bag didn't work for either of them - but our female is now on Iams red bag (lamb and rice) which has worked really well.

Our male was a harder case - we tried Wellness, Solid Gold, Nutro, Iams, Taste of the Wild.... For awhile I even cooked for him. What finally worked - immediately - was Purina DCO, which has a whole lot of soluble fiber in the form of beet pulp (which is what many people think is what works with Iams). It's a prescription diet, but he has firm, bouncy poop now. After 6 months of diarrhea, it's amazing! He's been on it for almost 2 years now, and he's doing great. People from our adoption group can't believe he's the same dog.

Really, it's about whatever works for your dog.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DEREK

Hi, first time posting. I'm from Sydney Australia and have an ex-racer (rescue) Indy.

He is on prescription salmon and potato dry food for six months.

a) Fish and potato are the fasted digestible protein allowing gentle absorption.

B) It allows the stomach to heal.

c) Absolutely no other meats allowed.

d) After firm stools he started getting fish (tinned or fresh) added to his kibble every second day

The Vet told me that ex-racers traditionally present with bad stomachs and loose movements so they need to let the stomach repair.

Add a bit of warm water and it becomes a stinky delicious fish soup.

It's been six-months and we are keeping him on it.

Guest Lillypad

Wonderful to hear you feed a raw diet. Yes I for one believe a dog does best on raw...but that is just me being passionate about a raw diet. Is there any way you could convince your parents to feed a packaged ready made raw meal. I feed a tub of chopped meats occasionally and it is super easy, I just thaw slightly and dump it in her bowl, rinse out the container and recycle it. No mess and no hassle. If you think of it this way wouldn't it be easier for your parents to deal with a raw meal rather than deal with diarrhea.