He Should Start A Puppy Obedience School

On our walk yesterday Hester encountered an overly exuberant 6 month old female Golden Retriever puppy. After a bit of jumping at his face, he did his usual terrifying growl/snarl but this time he added a new twist. He soft pounced toward the puppy, landing with his foot on its shoulder and rolled it onto its back. He held it with his foot on its belly and sniffed it top to bottom. All the while the puppy was frozen in a semi roaching position, feet in the air but legs folded tight. Hester then released the puppy who bounced to its feet, then gave a perfect sit at Hester’s shoulder and proceeded to face wash Hester with its tongue. The puppy then ran back to its owner, then back to Hester for another sit and more muzzle licking. When the owner finally had corralled the little lady, Hester poked his snout into my hand looking for his reward, quite happy with himself.

Edited by KickReturn

Brady would do the same thing with a newfoundlander puppy. That puppy got to the point where he would see Brady, sat hi and just lay down.

Puppy training .... That puppy would pull the owner on walks but with Brady he would calmly lay down.

Now at the age of 10 I am not sure Brady has the patience any more.

Good job Hester!!

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have heard that referred to as an "alpha roll". I dislike the term alpha, but its an old term that I have heard used many times.

I have heard that referred to as an "alpha roll". I dislike the term alpha, but its an old term that I have heard used many times.

If you watch the behavior, the dog on top isn't actually rolling the dog on the bottom. The dog who ends up on the bottom actually rolls over on his own. It's a submissive behavior to let the other dog know he means no harm. One of the many reasons why the "alpha roll" that so many misinformed trainers like Cesar Milan recommend is way off base, because even if dogs were willing and able to view us as fellow dogs (which hello, they're smarter than that ;) ) alpha rolling as it's taught doesn't mimic anything that actually happens in the dog world.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you watch the behavior, the dog on top isn't actually rolling the dog on the bottom. The dog who ends up on the bottom actually rolls over on his own. It's a submissive behavior to let the other dog know he means no harm. One of the many reasons why the "alpha roll" that so many misinformed trainers like Cesar Milan recommend is way off base, because even if dogs were willing and able to view us as fellow dogs (which hello, they're smarter than that ;) ) alpha rolling as it's taught doesn't mimic anything that actually happens in the dog world.

Oh yes, there was nothing alpha about the whole exchange. I don't think Hester is wasting his energy trying to convince a puppy that he is top dog because of course he is already absolutely convinced that he is top dog, and top person, top everything in fact. :)

When puppies approach, Hester appears to assume a rather avuncular dispostion. Once a puppy settles down he'll do some nose-to-nose kissy time with the pups. Sometimes I think I detect a hint of affection from him but I really can't tell if he likes it or is simply being accomodating. Same thing with small dogs. Maybe he's just a good boy with a good heart. :beatheart (But heaven help any large male that jumps at him or tries to mount. :angryfire )

That said, soon after we got him, Hermon did roll a cattle dog who rushed us barking its '$@( fool head off and growling. I got the girls behind me, but Hermon took charge and flipped that dog. It wasn't an alpha roll but seemed to involve Hermon grabbing it by the throat and doing some sort of judo. He then stood over it snarling, while he sniffed it. The dog just froze. Thankfully when I said his name, he looked up at me and stepped back and that dog took off back to its house. No problems with that dog since. Hermon also hasn't done it since, but it's nice that he has it in his repertoire if everything else doesn't work.

Guest Scouts_mom

We have a rat terrier x pup, named Dax, in my neighborhood. We first met her when she was about 15 weeks old and a bundle of energy. She tried to climb up my 10 yr old Henry's head--He growled and snapped at her and she immediately rolled on to her back. Ever since then, she has been very respectful of him--sniffing and licking are okay if done in a calm manner, but no climbing.

A year later I am told by her owners that the only dog she seems to like is Henry. She could care less about my other dog. When Dax is walked by my house she cries and pulls to come in and see Henry. And if they see each other on walks, they both get excited and try to get us owners to let them meet.

The best dog trainers are other dogs. Grace raised Fenway for me. I take no credit for the dog he is today. Her presence is greatly missed.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)