Crap! I Found A Tick On Molly

Since we went for a walk in the forest I checked the dogs and I found a tick on Molly in the webbing between her toes. It bled a tiny bit when I pulled it. Do I need to do anything? I haven't started Frontline for the season since it's still been freezing at night. Obviously, I'll be giving them both a dose of Frontline ASAP. Anything else I need to do or look out for? It's my first tick experience.

Ticks are going to be bad this year! I picked one off Truman, and this was back in March. I don't want to think of how bad they'll be in the summer.

I don't think there's much more to do than clean the area and wait. You can get a snap test in 45 days if she's symptomatic for anything. Some vets will let you take the tick in and send it off to the lab for Lyme testing. Do you get your kids the Lyme vaccine?

Guest jackied

I also found a tick on zoe but she gets frontline year round and it was dead from bitting her. Also found a tick on me this morning but it was just walking on my arm so I killed it them flushed it. Its only april and they are bad already. This stinks.

I'd touch base with your vet, but it sounds like you got it before it had a chance to feed much. (If you're in an area where lyme disease is common AND it was a deer tick AND it'd been feeding for a while, your vet might recommend a course of doxycycline to be safe.) You can get a 4DX test at the end of the season to see if Molly picked up any tick-borne diseases.

We've already found 3 adult wood ticks and 1 adult deer tick. :( We used to use Frontline Plus, but it seems to have become ineffective around here. Now we're using Bravecto, which doesn't repel ticks but should kill them within 24 hours if they attach and we happen miss them when we're doing our post-walk "tick checks"!