Ace Had A Stroke :-(

Guest equestrianerd

Guest equestrianerd

Ace had a mini-stroke today. :( He and Donovan were chilling out with us in the lounge (as usual on a weekend). DH was wandering in and out, and Ace wasn't able to get up like normal to see what was up. He was fine staying lying down (if we rubbed his belly, he's such a ham), but if he tried/we encouraged him to get up he'd start shaking and his legs were all wobbly.

We got a taxi to take us to the vets (though we freaked the driver out as it looked like we were hauling a dead body around, we took a king-size blanket and carried him downstairs/out on that). Spent about an hour at the vet, between waiting for the vet to be free and doing the exam. Ace checked out mostly-ok, by the time the vet came to see him he was able to stand/walk a bit, though he was very wobbly. He improved even more while we were there, so the vet sent him home without meds (so as not to interfere with the meds he's on for ongoing bronchitis). We're to take him on as short a walk as possible for a couple of days (he's already on about 20min/day, 'cause he's lazy, so hopefully he'll do his business even quicker now!) and see how he gets on.

I was in tears until we left the vet - at first I thought it was a seizure, but I suppose a stroke isn't much better. :( I've been able to fool myself that he's in great shape (which he has been up to now, aside from the bronchitis), but he's 12, so this isn't (or shouldn't be) a surprise. At least it seemed pretty mild. I just worry about this happening again (especially while we're at work).

Ace seems fine now, so we'll see how he gets on this week. On the plus side, Donovan seemed completely fine to be hurriedly chucked in the bedroom (he got a kong! best day ever!), so at least we don't have to worry about separation anxiety with him.

Don't be too discouraged! Sometimes strokes happen. Many people have had dogs recover fully afterwards.

Good thoughts for your boy and you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My boy had a mini-stroke several years ago now but has never had another one (touch wood!). His eyesight was affected in one eye, but he recovered fully within a week. I know how stressful it is, though, especially when it happens at a weekend and more so for you not having a car I imagine. It's certainly not easy seeing them age, but I hope Ace continues to improve and you have lots more time with him.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Don't be too discouraged. Many dogs completely recover. Feel better, Ace.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest equestrianerd

No, they checked his heart, lungs, limbs, and spine.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. He seems back to his normal self this evening, fingers crossed this was a one-off event.

I was going to ask about a teensy amount of aspirin, as tbhounds suggests, too.

I hope your boy continues to do well :wub: . Very scary for the people.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope he continues to do well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I agree about the aspirin. Dr Couto says for thrombosis/strokes: 1/2-1 low dose (81mg) once a day.

Giving aspirin right away can make a difference on how quickly they can recover. I saw Dr Couto on Wednesday at a greyhound health seminar. Good Luck. I had a fox terrier who had a stroke, put on aspirin and she was fine with no side effects.

Before you start aspirin, check with your own vet to be sure the aspirin won't interfere with Ace's bronchitis meds. (That possibility may be why the ER vet didn't recommend aspirin.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

How is Ace this morning?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest equestrianerd

He was fine this morning - acting like his normal self, cheerful on his walk. Hopefully he has a nice quiet day with his kong and is nice and relaxed when we get home.

Check his urine for protein. Personally I would start him on low dose aspirin daily (1/4-1/2 of a 81mg cardio aspirin -baby aspirin)

Please strongly consider this. Dr. Cuoto has found that low dose aspirin is (HIGHLY?) EFFECTIVE in preventing a recurring stroke. At the very least it is the best treatment we probably have right now.

Guest equestrianerd

They couldn't tell, as he was mostly better by the time the vet saw him. He said we should look for nystagmus if it happens again. I think they figured it was most likely a stroke due to the timing of his recovery.

Still waiting for a call back from the vet re: aspirin (hopefully tomorrow morning), but Ace seems back to his usual self this evening. We're still taking it easy, but he looks ok. :goodluck

Edited by equestrianerd