Fusion Is Sick

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

He is on Hills Z/D only now. No other treats, no rice, no hamburger.

The past few days havent been terrible, but not great either. Pretty much his poos start out soft and formed and end like pudding.

He only poo'ed once yesterday and that was in the am. Then he pooed this morning and it was pudding :/

The vet said to give it another week or so on just the food and if he doesn't improve we will talk about what to do next.

Quick question when it comes to Metronidazole:

Can your hound have an adverse reaction to it? I know it is supposed to stop diarrhea and bowel inflammation, but it really hasn't made any difference with Fusion. Hes been on it for almost 3 weeks now. He was prescribed it by the old vet for 10 days, off of it for 2 days, and then we went to the new vet and she put him on a higher dose for 7 days.

During those two days he was off of it was the only time he had solid poops. It was the night we returned from the new vet, and that following morning before I gave him the new dose.

This morning was his last pill. So I guess I will see for myself, but just wondering if anyone else has seen similar effects?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any oral med can have a side effect of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea; including those meds that are for nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. :dunno (I know, right?) Neuro side effects are a possibility with Flagyl. My IG had liver toxicity while on a continuous dose to try to treat suspected IBD. Once off of it and a several month, maybe a several year treatment of Milk Thistle and SamE (before it was considered common for liver support) and her enzymes returned to normal. Neither vet in the practice had ever seen liver effects before.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Lygracilux

UPDATE:

NO MORE PUDDING POO!!!! :mexi2

Per TBHounds recommendations and after consulting with my vet- we went off of the Hills Z/D and went straight to the W/D. Within a half day he had no more diarrhea. We also discontinued the use of the metronidazole.

This is now his 3rd day not having any pudding poo. If anything his poops are "dry" , meaning when I go to pick them up they almost crumble. He has also been pooping about 4 times a day instead of 1 or 2 times a day of pudding. So he is definitely fiber responsive.

Also, so much for the chicken intolerance I thought he had, as the W/D has chicken in it and it has had no ill effect on him.

I think maybe during that time I tried the chicken based dog food he still had worms. Who knows. So in about a week, as long as he continues to have solid poo I am going to go out and re-try the IAMS Green Bag. Just add some into his food here and there.

Also the vet perscribed him Proviable. I haven't used it yet because I didn't want to try 2 new things at once, but I think I will start giving him a capsule today. Have any of you tried Proviable? Opinions on it would be awesome.

This is such a relief though. He has more energy back, and is his old playful self.

Thank you everyone for all of your help and thoughts<3

Guest Johberry

Yay! Isn't it wonderful to finally find something that works?! Took us 6+ months to find food that worked well for our boy. Glad to hear Fusion is doing better. :)