Fusion Is Sick

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Things had been going great until today.

He was back to dryfood only (natural balance). Only cherrios & apples for treats. Has had the BEST poos Ive seen him have ever.

Nothing in his diet has changed, and he hasnt gotten into anything.

He had gurgly tummy and diarrhea this morning.

Im at a loss. Do I just put him back on the bland diet for a few days (I feel bad as hes lost some weight)

Call the vet? (I really cant get the time off, and I really don't have the money for another "keep him on a bland diet for a few days" visit this week)

Im getting married in 4 days and Im just stressed and tired.

Idk what to do.

Edited by Lygracilux

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he been vomiting?? If not it's not an emergency but, obviously something is going on. Has he been de-wormed recently??

I would prophylactically de-worm him and get him back on a lower fat, higher fiber food OR sometimes these guys respond better to a lower fat, low residue food.

You can also safely give him Pepcid daily. 10-20mgs one - two times daily.

Guest Lygracilux

Has he been vomiting?? If not it's not an emergency but, obviously something is going on. Has he been de-wormed recently??

I would prophylactically de-worm him and get him back on a lower fat, higher fiber food OR sometimes these guys respond better to a lower fat, low residue food.

You can also safely give him Pepcid daily. 10-20mgs one - two times daily.

No vomiting yet.

Okay so about 2 months after we got him we dewormed him (he tested positive for hooks when he arrived at the shelter but was treated with panacur) but he was forever having diarrhea. So greytalk said to deworm again. I did. Things were better until about a month and a half ago, so I dewormed again. I heard hooks are hard to get rid of so to deworm once then again after 21 days. Well right around the 21 day mark he got sick so I never did it the 2nd time (I have panacur on hand but the vet said to never give him anything unless advised by the vet first. Also he has had 2 negative stool samples in the last few months)

Should I deworm against vets recommendations? Do you think he will handle it ok? This will be his 4th time in a year being dewormed if I do it again.

Is there a food you recommend? He is allergic to chicken. Also Ive been giving him yogurt. Should I stop that?

Edited by Lygracilux

You could safely de-worm him but, it may not be necessary at this point. When the vet ran the fecals did they run a giardia Elisa?

Many dogs are lactose intolerant so I would stop the yogurt at this point. I would find a food low in fat and higher in fiber. There are prescription diets for ailing tummies but, all of the ones I know are chicken based.

Guest Lygracilux

You could safely de-worm him but, it may not be necessary at this point. When the vet ran the fecals did they run a giardia Elisa?

Many dogs are lactose intolerant so I would stop the yogurt at this point. I would find a food low in fat and higher in fiber. There are prescription diets for ailing tummies but, all of the ones I know are chicken based.

Thank you for all of the helpful info, it means a lot.

I believe he ran pretty much all test he could run on the fecal.

There was mucous/blood in his poo yesterday. Im wondering if its something as simple as IBS which the right food could help with.

Right now Im keeping him on the chicken/turkey burger until I find the right food.

Any thoughts on Wellness Turkey and Potato? It has a low fat content with 5.5% fiber. Protein is at 26% but thats not much more than hes been getting. He seems to do well with the turkey we give him with the rice-so maybe the salmon is a little too much for him

Guest Lygracilux

Well mucousy poop definitely means his tummy is not happy and is irritated. Sorry you keep hitting bumps in the road with this.

Thank you. Its a pain in the a** for me, but I more feel bad for my poor baby. He's only 2 years old-shouldnt have to be dealing with this crap so young. He should be energetic and happy and full of life. I feel as if Im not able to make him better and happy.

I called the vet. He says it could definitely be something as simple as IBD. He said all of his blood work and stool samples have come back fine, and he isnt in pain or anything. He said to try a limited ingredient turkey based food after a bland diet for a few days since hes been doing well on the turkey and rice (solid poo this morning)

If he doesnt improve in a few weeks I must take him back in to do further testing.

I wondered about IBD when you mentioned the chicken "allergy". Although I wouldn't describe IBD as simple. Have you or your vet considered consulting an internist and doing a good differential diagnosis?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

I wondered about IBD when you mentioned the chicken "allergy". Although I wouldn't describe IBD as simple. Have you or your vet considered consulting an internist and doing a good differential diagnosis?

The internist I have been working with as well was the one who first suggested IBS from the beginning, but we wanted to rule out the more "serious" matters first.

Im just happy he isnt throwing up anymore. Also his poops are rock solid as of today, when yesterday they were mucous pudding.

IBS or IBD? You said IBD earlier, which is what I was thinking about as the non simple thing to deal with. They're 2 different things as far as I know. Glad he's doing better today.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

IBS or IBD? You said IBD earlier, which is what I was thinking about as the non simple thing to deal with. They're 2 different things as far as I know. Glad he's doing better today.

IBS** sorry. That is what he said, as he doesn't really have the chronic symptoms of IBD.

I guess we're just going to have to take it one step at a time. Starting with just finding the right food. Thank you!

I wonder if he's picking up on your "getting married" stress.

Hahaha probably. Along with this my MOH is in the hospital. -_-

Edited by Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Sometimes these guys respond better to a low residue food. Have you considered raw?

I wouldnt even know where to start with feeding raw, though its definitely something I'd be open to do. Just not sure how or what to feed.

I wouldnt even know where to start with feeding raw, though its definitely something I'd be open to do. Just not sure how or what to feed.

You could purchase a pre-made raw product for the time being. It's more expensive, but that way you know you're feeding a balanced diet. If it helps, then you can investigate doing it on your own. I prefer using the grinds That have meat, bone and organ, but no veggies or other additives. When in a pinch, I've bought the ones from Primal but I'm sure there are other brands.

Fusion Update:

He has held down his bland diet of boiled turkey, rice, cherrios & yogurt. Also he hasnt had any nasty poo's.

We have switched him to Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Fish. As of yesterday I started sprinkling a few here and there in his food-still no stomach upset from that!

He also didnt suffer any dehydration and has been drinking normally.

I did call the vet and asked him some things pertaining to what you guys have mentioned on here. Like if we should do an abdominal scan or why he wasnt prescribed meds for pancreatitis. Pretty much he said that he wasnt 100% on the pancreatitis thing as Fusions blood work was completely normal, and again he wasnt showing symptoms of that. He wanted to treat it as a bacteria/infection/just ate something unsettling case before jumping the gun and see how he responded to that along with giving his GI tract a rest. Cant really comment on the effect of the meds, as Fusion didnt take them because of his reaction to them. But he has gotten better. The vet truly believes that this was just a bad stomach upset as it has never happened before. But if it does, we will be taking the testing a little farther.

Thank you all so much for your help and thoughts. I will update if things change, but for now here is a pic of Fusion and his BFF Dracula on our Fusions new leather couch.

MgIUzSA.jpg?1

P.S. Since stopping the TOTW Pacific Stream, his flaky skin (thought because of the dry winter) has almost ceased. Hmmmm.

Well there's yer problem, the CAT has been spiking Fusion's food....it is ALWAYS the cat, Conrad told me it is always cats especially his cat Button

Guest Lygracilux

Well there's yer problem, the CAT has been spiking Fusion's food....it is ALWAYS the cat, Conrad told me it is always cats especially his cat Button

HAHA I wouldnt be surprised .Though Dracula is cute and cuddly... he is a terror-always starting stuff with the other cats. Devious he is.

IBD is bad news. Huck had it and we never cured it, but just barely controlled it. I wish I had tried home made raw on him.

Oof. I hope this isnt the case, but we will do what we have to.

Any suggestions on controlling it?

Guest Lygracilux

You could purchase a pre-made raw product for the time being. It's more expensive, but that way you know you're feeding a balanced diet. If it helps, then you can investigate doing it on your own. I prefer using the grinds That have meat, bone and organ, but no veggies or other additives. When in a pinch, I've bought the ones from Primal but I'm sure there are other brands.

Im really interested in the raw thing and want to start this ASAP.

He does have a chicken allergy, or so I thought but it may be IBS-so chicken is out for now.

I have been giving him cooked lean ground turkey and rice for his tummy upset. Maybe tonight I could just give him JUST ground turkey? But leave it raw. Then switch to maybe turkey breast, then turkey thighs, etc? He does well with the cooked turkey so I'd like to start with something familiar. See how it goes for a week or two then try adding in chicken?

I did a calculator and it said to give 2lbs raw per day.

Edited by Lygracilux

You can't feed just boneless meat. Over the long term that will lead to nutritional deficiencies. In the short term, a day or two is fine, but beyond that you're likely going to have stool issues. Bone is what firms up the stool. I think starting with turkey is smart. I would get a pre-made turkey grind that has bone and organ and is balanced and just feed that for a week or so and see how things go. You need other proteins over the long term, but a couple of weeks of a single protein is smart when transitioning to raw. I also like ground to start because dogs that have been kibble fed can have trouble digesting large pieces of bone initially so ground gives them a nice introduction to the raw bone without having large pieces that may get vomited with bile later.

Primal does make a turkey grind:

http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/detail/c/9/id/26

Just use Google shopping to find the best price, and don't forget retailmenot.com to get a discount or free shipping using a coupon code.

2 lbs per day sounds like a lot. How much does your dog weigh and how much should he weigh (if he's underweight at the moment)? And what type of and how much exercise does he get?

Guest Lygracilux

Blahhhh Update # god knows.

The Friday before my wedding Fusion had blood in his poop again, that was right after trying to re introduce his dry food again. So the vet perscribed him metronidazole, and said to stick with hamburger and rice for a few more days.

He immediately got better. Actually didn't poop for almost a whole day. And then he had great poos! This continued until last night when I added some of his kibble in. Then he had diarrhea again. This morning, he had diarrhea with a little blood in it.

I am now convinced its the food. I am switching from the salmon to rabbit or lamb. As I hear they are both very good protein sources. I will try the raw in the future but I know it is something I cannot manage atm.

Thank you all for your help. I will update again. Any insight always welcome