Fusion Is Sick

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion has been sick for a few days.

It started on Tuesday when he wouldn't eat his food that morning-very unusual as he LIVES for food.

After he did take a few nibbles, he vomited them up almost immediately, and then didnt eat until the night.

On Wednesday all hell broke loose while I was at work.

He vomited twice between 3-5pm, then again when I got home. All Wednesday night into early yesterday morning, he was vomiting, and had some blood in his stool.

Other than the vomiting and all of that on Wednesday, he was in great spirits, still trying to play with the ball outside and running around.

I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he ran a stool sample, did blood work, all of that good stuff. No bloating, nothing stuck in his belly, and he came to the conclusion he had a very acute case of pancreatits. Something just wasnt sitting right in his belly.

I know he didnt get into anything inside our home, but he may have gotten into something outside with all of the snow melting. But we almost always stool guard him outside cause he likes the other dogs poo.

He gave him a penicillin shot, some meds to take home for the diarrhea, and amoxicillin meds to take over the next few days. He told me to not give him anything to eat until last night. He said to try little plain yogurt and some cherrios and see how he holds that down for a few hours, then try a little more before bed.

He did have a reaction of hives from the penicillin, so we gave him benedryl for that and he was fine. Other than that he was great though, didnt throw up all night, and was in happy spirits this morning.

The vet said NOT to give him the amoxicillin, as it may give him a reaction as well so to just monitor him.

He also said if he held down the yogurt and cherrios through the night to try a tiny bit of his dog food in with the yogurt for this ams breakfast.

So I did. And, after about an hour a left for work-he threw up. Not a lot, but there was some bile and grass (he ate some grass last night)

It makes me wonder-this all kind of started when we got a fresh bag of his dog food (havent change it, just a new bag)

The other dog eats the same food and is fine-so I know it cant be a bad batch. But Fusion has had some really flaky skin, and some bloody stool every once in a while for a couple months.

Do you think the food isnt agreeing with him anymore? Its TOTW Pacific Stream (Salmon, he has a chicken allergy)

While his tummy is empty, and I am transitioning him from cherrios and yogurt to a dry food should I try a new food? If so-please point me in the right direction of what foods to try. Again he has a VERY sensitive system. I was thinking Natural Balance LID Venison and Sweet Potato, as Ive heard great things about it for dogs with GI issues.

Help, I feel so bad for him.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my poor guy. I can vouch for LID Salmon and Sweet Potato by Natural Balance.

I'd try a very very bland diet of some rice, broth and a bit of cooked chicken to get him back on track. I've also had some great success with protein shakes - although I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea right now. I'd be more concerned with dehydration than anything at this point - broth will help I think.

Scritches.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

Did your vet x-ray his belly?

No, he said due to the fact that he showed no signs of bloating, lethary, general discomfort in his belly, that he had an apetite, and was passing stool that there wasnt a need to xray unless things got more serious. He said to check back saturday (tomorrow)

Oh my poor guy. I can vouch for LTD Salmon and Sweet Potato by Natural Balance.

I'd try a very very bland diet of some rice, broth and a bit of cooked chicken to get him back on track. I've also had some great success with protein shakes - although I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea right now. I'd be more concerned with dehydration than anything at this point - broth will help I think.

Scritches.

Yeah I dont even think I will re introduce dry food for at least a few more days. Maybe try some plain rice tonight, but I cant do the chicken because of his allergy to it. He has been drinking some water, here and there and hasnt thrown that up so thats a plus. But hes not super interested in it, so maybe the broth will help. Can I do like, beef broth?

Cody had a bad case of pancreatitis once - she had a sensitive stomach anyway, but I gave her her first (and LAST!) Greenie that day & that started it. Vet said they're VERY high in fat & that's probably what set her off.

Did he get any fatty treats or anything?

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Lygracilux

Cody had a bad case of pancreatitis once - she had a sensitive stomach anyway, but I gave her her first (and LAST!) Greenie that day & that started it. Vet said they're VERY high in fat & that's probably what set her off.

Did he get any fatty treats or anything?

Oof. Not that I know of. Nothing out of the ordinary at all :(

My Kasey is allergic to chicken too. Beef broth of course is just the same as chicken or veggie broth. It's the liquid intake you only need to concern yourself with.....drink drink drink! In fact, try maybe some cooked fast fry beef strips? Do you have any colloidal silver? I've given that orally and they bounce back quicker than anything else I've tried.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

My Kasey is allergic to chicken too. Beef broth of course is just the same as chicken or veggie broth. It's the liquid intake you only need to concern yourself with.....drink drink drink! In fact, try maybe some cooked fast fry beef strips? Do you have any colloidal silver? I've given that orally and they bounce back quicker than anything else I've tried.

Okay yea, I will get some broth as soon as I can today.

I do not have any colloidal silver, but I keep hearing great things about it so I should order some.

Thank you!

Guest Lygracilux

No advice, just sympathy, and lots of scritches for your sweet boy. Hope he is back to 100% soon!

Thank you! Me too. I will keep all updated on this thread.

I use pasta instead of rice for Brady. Rice gives Brady diarrhea. Hope he feels better soon.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

you could take some ground beef and boil it (with some rice, if you like). Add lots of water (to make the broth for later) and possibly some spices if you like (a bit of salt & pepper, or a single bullion cube, or some veggies). If you don't add rice, you can take the entire mixture and cool it in the fridge ... you can then skim the fat off the top and have a nice beef broth with very lean beef protein for various uses (you could use this yourself for chili, for example)

I hope Fusion recovers quickly!!

Beth got a near-case of pancreatitis (just under the threshold of acute) when she was on TOTW Pacific Stream, though I don't think it was FROM it.

I would take this very seriously, and really be careful about starting re-feeding, and stay in close touch with my vet. My friend's dog (non-grey) died last fall from severe pancreatitis that apparently led to neurological sequelae.

Beth has been fine in the succeeding years, but I have also been rigorously careful about what she eats.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I firmly believe your vet should get a cursory abdominal rad. Just because he's passing stool by no means rules out a foreign body. Also if it is pancreatitis that your dealing with your vet should have sent you home with a bland diet-ie I/D, EN...and medications like cerenia to reduce the nausea and possible pain meds-buprenex. Penicillin? Amoxicillin?? Must be missing something.

What tbhounds said.

When Joseph had his blockage, he had vomiting and diarrhea. No sensitivity or bloating in his belly. Neighbor's dog similar -- intermittent episodes of vomiting over months, fortunately the foreign body was discovered and removed in time.

Did vet do a CPL? Blood test that helps diagnose pancreatitis vs other things.

P.S. Not meaning to scare you silly. Just better to stay on top of these things, you know? Joseph never had a bad fart until 8 months AFTER he ate his foreign body; neighbor's dog was @ 6 months of those mysterious episodes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion Update:

He has held down his bland diet of boiled turkey, rice, cherrios & yogurt. Also he hasnt had any nasty poo's.

We have switched him to Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Fish. As of yesterday I started sprinkling a few here and there in his food-still no stomach upset from that!

He also didnt suffer any dehydration and has been drinking normally.

I did call the vet and asked him some things pertaining to what you guys have mentioned on here. Like if we should do an abdominal scan or why he wasnt prescribed meds for pancreatitis. Pretty much he said that he wasnt 100% on the pancreatitis thing as Fusions blood work was completely normal, and again he wasnt showing symptoms of that. He wanted to treat it as a bacteria/infection/just ate something unsettling case before jumping the gun and see how he responded to that along with giving his GI tract a rest. Cant really comment on the effect of the meds, as Fusion didnt take them because of his reaction to them. But he has gotten better. The vet truly believes that this was just a bad stomach upset as it has never happened before. But if it does, we will be taking the testing a little farther.

Thank you all so much for your help and thoughts. I will update if things change, but for now here is a pic of Fusion and his BFF Dracula on our Fusions new leather couch.

MgIUzSA.jpg?1

P.S. Since stopping the TOTW Pacific Stream, his flaky skin (thought because of the dry winter) has almost ceased. Hmmmm.

Edited by Lygracilux

Good news :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear he's doing better.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross