"going" On A Leash

Guest iclarkz

Guest iclarkz

Hi all,

We have a lovely x-racer Evie who we have had for 3 years now. We are getting ready to move and need to comepletely overhaul the back yard that we normally just turn her out in to do zoomers and go to the bathroom, so that we can sell the house. Of course, the grass is totally wrecked!

Thing is, she has never gone potty on a leash. We don't walk her often (she has gotten plenty of exercise in the back), but when we have she has always been the consummate lady and waited until she got back home and gone in her own yard.

So -- how do I undo this? I don't have a lot of time, maybe a week to transition her. Kinda stressing out over this!

They take the smell of urine to mean "potty area", so maybe try to walk her in a park or neighborhood were you see a lot of dogs already going? Along the same lines, maybe walk her with another dog that does go on walks and she might get the idea.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Kasey had a lot of trouble doing #2 on leash, pee no problem. Who wouldn't want to mark when out for a walk? He used to have a yard to use and once he lost that after we moved he had to learn. Oh the pain and turmoil of learning. We would be out there for 45 mins, 30 mins.....it would take forever before he would go. I lost a lot of patience and was often late for work. :riphair Soon he showed his rhythm. He had to actually pace along the edge of the grass where the curb or sidewalk meets.....and then eventually he would go. But I had to wait it out. Every time he went he would get better. Routine helps....walking the same area helps. Maybe she wants more privacy and go behind a bush with your back turned (not joking). All I can suggest is that it takes time. Time for you to be out there with her for her to learn to go. Use a verbal cue to encourage her so she associates the word and the action and give her praise and reward when she does.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We never had this problem as Jack as always been leashed walk and obviously he couldn’t hold it forever! In your case, I suggest maybe to tie 2 leashes together to give her a little “privacy” and maybe turn your back if she starts sniffing around. Eventually she will have to go, it might take a little time at first but I am sure she will catch on quite fast!

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

It does take a while sometimes, you may want to walk her on her lease in the backyard where she normally goes... Then high praise and a treat for going on the leash.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

i'll lend you my husband, he always manages to get the dogs that aren't used to leash potty to go~ no, seriously, don't give your pup the opportunity to go potty off lead. eventually it will sink in and they will go on lead. reward with a special treat. do the same utility walk once they potty then go off on your merry way and walk where ever you want. keep a potty walk short and sweet in the same area, maybe around one block and repeat until success has been acheived.