Heartguard, Diarrhea And Other Options

Guest Winnie2014

Guest Winnie2014

Winnie gets Heartguard and Frontline Plus on the 15th of each month. We usually have at least loose stool the day after to 2 days after. Tonight I woke up to Winnie needing to go out at 2am with diarrhea. This isn't the first time - 2 months ago similar issue. Gave the meds to her on the 15th, early morning diarrhea on the 17th. I'm planning on holding off food in the morning or giving her chicken and rice (it's in the rice cooker as we speak). The Heartguard is the only "out of the ordinary" thing she gets and I don't feed her beef (flavor of chew).

Are there other options for me that might not upset her tummy? I've heard a lot about Trifexis both good and bad.

All of this certainly doesn't help that we are having thunderstorms tonight and she keeps getting up to look outside. Not afraid, just interested by the light and noise.

My dogs consistently had diarrhea after Heartgard--every time. I switched them to Advantage Multi. It's a topical that prevents heartworms and other parasites and prevents fleas.

It smells awful--worse than Frontline Plus. But the smell and pretty much all trace of the oil are gone in 24 hours. I give it on the first Monday of the month; that gives the oily patch time to disappear before a weekend meet and greet. I also put bandannas on both dogs to remind me not to pet the oily spot.

My dogs had taken Interceptor without a problem. Then it was discontinued, and Heartgard was trouble from the beginning. My vet said it's not uncommon for dogs to react to the flavoring in Heartgard; the medicine itself isn't the problem. And given that potential diarrhea is listed on the Trifexis paperwork as a possible side effect, we didn't want to try that one. We've used Advantage Multi for 20 months here and have had no problems. (And no fleas, although my guys don't have a yard to play in, so they're less likely to pick up fleas than other dogs may be.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've had my boys on Sentinel for the past three years now. Believe it or not I moved away from Heartguard because Kasey was allergic to some of the ingredients in the chews. It's not the first time I've heard of odd things happening when on Heartguard either. The other option I tried was a topical version, and I didn't like how long it stuck around on their fur (it actually took the paint off a bed rail when Kasey was sleeping against it!) You do have other options other than oral. Give it a go. Clearly Heartguard is not agreeing with Winnie.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Funny you should bring that up- I actually just pissed off the vet tech over this. Like one of the posters above my dogs used to do the Interceptor. When Interceptor went away the vet clinic started us on Iverhart Max. No significant problems. They don't want to eat it because the pills are hard and I guess it don't taste good but that is no problem-I just mix it in with a little yogurt or cottage cheese or something after breaking it in little pieces. Well I had to get some more and they told me they are not using Iverhart anymore-they have swittched to Heartguard. I said that won't work for me because I had heard that sometimes it causes diarheaa etc. This pissed the vet tech off-that I didn't just bow down and take what they wanted to push on me-and she insinuated I was a stupid person who just believed everything they read on the internet. This pissed me off because frankly I am a chemist and I probably know more about biochemistry & pharmacology than she does & I certainly know more about research etc. It went down hill from there. I asked to see the vet who was quite nice. I told the vet the same thing I had told the close minded all knowing tech: that I did not want to change from something that worked and was safe and RISK encountering a problem or reaction to a new drug that would be totally unnecessary. Ok yeah it might not kill them to get diarheaa but really it is a serious issue when you might have to lose time at work to sit home with them so you can let them out until they recover and why risk making them sick unnecessarily particularly when you know it is a clear risk. So why risk it if you don't have to? Its a no brainer to me. Further more I am one of the Dr. Cuoto fans and really everything I've have heard that man say I take as gospel-because he is right. Dr. Cuoto told a whole audience full of us one day that "anytime you give a new med to a greyhound it is an adventure-because you never really know what might happen". So again I say why risk it by changing from something that works safely? So anyway I got the Rx from the vet and ordered the Iverhart Max from KV Vet and saved $20 to boot over what I used to have to pay the vet. Seeing your post just reinforces to me that I did the right thing! And BTW one additonal thing I found out is the Iverhart Max has a tapeworm preventative in it and the Heartguard Plus doesn't. One of my dogs is a wilderness SAR K9 and so it is probably a very good thing to have the extra tapeworm protection it might afford.

she insinuated I was a stupid person who just believed everything they read on the internet.

Wow. Incredible! They don't live with your dog and don't know how your dogs reacts, who would ever push if you knew you didn't appreciate the side effects and could try something new!?!?

Yes, I also forgot to mention that Sentinel covers ticks and fleas, some others don't have other preventative coverages. Sadly this med is expensive but it does have good all around coverage.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

At the suggestion of our vet in IL, we had Rocket on Trifexis for quite a while after Interceptor went away. I was never happy with it, as he didn't want to take it, even in cheese or other things that he usually wolfs down. He was also somewhat lethargic and seemed to have some stomach upset for 24-48 hours after taking it.

When we moved to AZ the new vet (a greyhound savvy vet) suggested Sentinel. He takes it in a piece of cheese, and the pill is less than half the size of the big honking Trifexis pill. He has now been on it for almost a year, and there is no lethargy or other side effects. We are sticking with Sentinel at this point.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Winnie2014

I called the vet just now and they're going to get back to me with suggestions other than the Heartguard Plus. I mentioned how Trifexis often doesn't agree with Greyhounds either. Suggestions from the tech included feeding it to her on a full tummy or with a bland meal. I I admit, sometimes she gets it after her dinner and sometimes before. Either way, she always gets loose stool with the Heartguard. Another possibility of getting her on ivermectin with the right dose.

Winnie had diarrhea this morning but I fed her rice and chicken so we'll see how she does today. They were nice about possibly getting her an anti-diarrheal if she still has it tomorrow without me getting another appointment.

I called the vet just now and they're going to get back to me with suggestions other than the Heartguard Plus. I mentioned how Trifexis often doesn't agree with Greyhounds either. Suggestions from the tech included feeding it to her on a full tummy or with a bland meal. I I admit, sometimes she gets it after her dinner and sometimes before. Either way, she always gets loose stool with the Heartguard. Another possibility of getting her on ivermectin with the right dose.

Winnie had diarrhea this morning but I fed her rice and chicken so we'll see how she does today. They were nice about possibly getting her an anti-diarrheal if she still has it tomorrow without me getting another appointment.

Iverhart is acutually ivermectrin. Thats another reason I like it-ivermectrin has a proven safety history.

Our Ruby has that reaction to the Frontline

So we have stopped using a topical flea/tick preventor.

So could it be the Frontline and not the Heartguard? Or the combo? maybe dose one one week and another the following, or 2 weeks later?

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I will say that I haven't had any issue with Trifexis. I have three Greyhounds (11, 10 and 4) and a boxer/Dobe mix (9) that take it monthly. I don't see any issues with stool, lethargy etc. :)

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

I used to give the pills and frontline on the same day, too. Our vet suggested breaking up the time span. I give heartguard on the first of the month and frontline on the 15th, which seemed to help. I also cut up the heartguard into smalleri pieces, so they are not eating that big chunk. I just cut it into their food. Fuzzy was the one with the problem and he is no here with us anymore. :>( I will continue to use this method anyway. Our new vet has suggested sentinal, so when my heartguard supply is done, we may do that. He said it covers more worms.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest AngelPup

I noticed the same thing with Heartguard Plus. We switched to Iverheart Max, and while it seemed to agree with her better, she hated the taste. I ended up trying TriHeart Plus (same active ingredients of Heartguard Plus, but it's a tablet instead of a chew (similar to Iverheart) and she loves it!! Plus it's even less expensive than Iverheart.

My pups have had some digestive issues with Heartgard Plus in the past as well. Like Houndtime mentioned, I started to break the Heartgard chew into smaller pieces and I feed it to them right before a meal. This really cut down on the loose stools for both of my girls.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Many of these products seem to say to feed WITH a meal. I found that if I gave Rocket the Trifexis immediately after he ate, he barfed it up. I started giving it to him right in the middle of his meal and we didn't have that issue again. He was also distracted enough by eating that he thought I was just handing him a piece of cheese and didn't take time to investigate whether or not there was a pill in it. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Any medication can make an individual dog ill.

Heartgard Plus is ivermectin with some pyrantel, a common, safe wormer.

Sentinel doesn't treat ticks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Winnie2014

I'll ask the vet about pushing her flea medicine back a week. Just makes me nervous because we're already in mosquito season here which means that the fleas and ticks aren't far behind. They keep where we walk pretty well sprayed though.

I've been breaking up the Heartguard and giving it to her about a half hour before her dinner in her bowl. It never said anything about feeding it with a meal - it even says on the box it can be fed like a treat!

Edit: talked to the vet's office and they suggested Advantage Multi or Revolution. Any experiences with these? They think Winnie may have a beef allergy. She doesn't get beef from me ever - mostly turkey and chicken.

Edited by Winnie2014

Woo-hoo! We're about to need a new set of prescriptions for heartworm meds. I'll talk to my vet next week.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I used Revolution and had no problems. The only reason I switched is the residue left on their fur. Dood does pet visits and they fall to close to when I was putting on the Revolution. I was worried about the elderly petting him and getting some on their hands.

Revolution also treats for fleas.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Yes, I also forgot to mention that Sentinel covers ticks and fleas.

Sentinel doesn't treat ticks.

Sentinel doesn't really treat fleas either. It just prevents flea eggs from hatching, so it will help prevent an infestation in your house. But it doesn't do anything for the adult fleas your dog might pick up.

I mentioned how Trifexis often doesn't agree with Greyhounds either.

Greyhounds aren't any more sensitive to Trifexis than any other dog. A small percentage of individual dogs of any breed can get an upset stomach on Trifexis, but most tolerate it well as long as it's given with a full meal. I've used Trifexis for all my fosters, and for a while, almost every greyhound coming into our group got a dose of Trifexis with their initial vetting. I think the main group vet has switched to Heartgard and NexGard for better tick control now.

I've been breaking up the Heartguard and giving it to her about a half hour before her dinner in her bowl. It never said anything about feeding it with a meal - it even says on the box it can be fed like a treat!

Edit: talked to the vet's office and they suggested Advantage Multi or Revolution. Any experiences with these? They think Winnie may have a beef allergy. She doesn't get beef from me ever - mostly turkey and chicken.

I don't think feeding Heartgard with or without food will help with the diarrhea issue. That's usually caused by a sensitivity to one of the inactive ingredients in the chew, like the beef. It typically doesn't need to be given with food.

I'm not typically a fan of the topical heartworm preventatives, as I think absorption is more reliable with oral administration, but it may be the best way to go with a suspected food allergy. Advantage Multi provides better intestinal parasite protection, while Revolution has some efficacy against ticks.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Winnie2014

Just a quick follow up: I'm going to order Advantage Multi because Winnie tends to want to eat things on the bayou (mostly grass) and she's so darn sneaky about it. I feel more comfortable giving her a topical with her tummy.

They keep the Bayou pretty well sprayed for bugs, so I'm not as concerned about ticks. Will certainly keep a look out for them though - nasty things. They're smaller in TX than they were when I had my Field Geology class in Montana when you could see them crawling on you. *shudders*

Edited by Winnie2014

Guest supercoach

Try Nexgrad. My Vet has a Grey and that's what she suggested. I had no issues, and like other Grey's my dog has a very sensitive digestive.