Jeff's Update

Well, except for the Giardia screen (which is expected back tomorrow) all of Jeff's re-testing results have come back.

My vet started off the call by saying, "I have Jeffy's results, going into the tests I was slightly concerned and wanted to get a look at his values for kidney function and also to rule out diabetes, you have to interpret all the values differently because he is a 'greyhound' and they are special, that being said they look just fine as did the abdominal xrays"

She then told me that she would diagnose Jeff as Hypothyroid. She said she knows it is a huge controversy with people but she did 4 different tests to focus on the one that is not affected by 'extraneous issues' and any way she looks at it she comes to that conclusion.

That being said, his symptoms although weird, don't really match what you would expect. Jeff is losing weight not gaining it. However he is also the last month or so being unusually weird about eating, even for him, he has refused to use his food bowls and will only eat out of my hand. She said sometimes subtle and odd behavior changes can be from thyroid and that between his eye visit and then the day I took him in for testing, he had gained a couple lbs.

Her suggestion is to give him a low dose of solaxine and retest in a few weeks. She also wanted to hold off and schedule his dental for the end of May instead of April to give time to evaluate this without adding any extra stress.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I have had two of 10 greys with low thyroid. They had the full panel and the results pointed to that. They both had subtle signs like easy weigh gain.

But the question really is.... Is low thyroid normal for greyhounds or are greyhounds prone to low thyroid? (Like GSD are prone to hip dipslasia). Like it or not, there is a lot of interbreeding and low thyroid can be hereditary.

I hope the soloxine work for Jeff.

Kasey's always been very difficult to put weight on so I sympathize. I struggle as well since he eats well for the most part, but year after year he loses a pound or two. We blame the prednisone since he has been on it for 7 years now and always had weird opposite side effects with it (not hungry, not thirsty). He's a picky eater as it is, and his lack of appetite from time to time doesn't help!

I hope you get to the bottom of the issue! Scritches to Jeffy.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

While it is true greyhounds are often misdiagnosed with thyroid issues, some do have them, and it sounds like your vet has taken the greyhound thing into account. Low Thyroid can present in all kinds of weird ways. Here's hoping the solaxine helps!

I'm kind of curious what she means by different tests. Does she mean she looked at different values, other than T4? Typically with a hypothyroid gh you see elevated TSH and/or antibodies. If those were normal, I would be asking what values were abnormal that leads her to that dx. Not saying he's not, but he does present atypically if he is. Having said that, hoping this is your answer. It's a relatively easy, inexpensive thing to treat. :goodluck

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, did the tests include a full thyroid panel? I had a hound whose 0.7 T4 was normal. Sending smelly, delicious food thoughts to Jeffy.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just seeing this. I'd be wondering what the "4 different tests" were that made her conclude that Jeff is hypothyroid. TSH is probably the most important value to look at, especially in a greyhound. About 20% of dogs can be hypothyroid even with a normal TSH, so if the clinical signs are consistent and both T4 and free T4 are very low, I'd consider treating even if the TSH wasn't high. Otherwise, I'm always suspicious of a hypothyroid diagnosis in a greyhound without a full panel.

But the question really is.... Is low thyroid normal for greyhounds or are greyhounds prone to low thyroid? (Like GSD are prone to hip dipslasia). Like it or not, there is a lot of interbreeding and low thyroid can be hereditary.

The scientific studies that have looked at this would seem to indicate that low thyroid is normal for greyhounds. If greyhounds were prone to hypothyroidism, I'd expect a lot more to show the typical clinical signs, and also show a more dramatic response when started on thyroid supplement. I've taken more greyhounds off thyroid hormone than started on it, and the owners of most of the ones I've taken off medication reported little to no clinical change when the dog started on meds, or when the meds were stopped.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I second the questions about what specific tests she was looking at, but will say that the late great Payton was diagnosed as Hypothyroid and he also had incredibly atypical symptoms including fairly significant weight loss.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

the 'different tests' was just her talking about the full panel not just the total t4, she was giving the 'tell me like I'm a four year old' version because she didn't know that I have a google medical degree :lol

So in the week and a half Jeffy has been taking his meds, he has gained 2lbs, increased the amount of 'zoomies' he does in the yard and in the house and has stolen a pair of flip flops. He has also started to sprout fuzz on his butt. My boy is back :yay He is still being very picky about eating and still refusing to eat out of his bowl in the feeder, but will eat out of it if I put it on the stairwell. :eek so still some issues but definite improvement and in the right direction regarding weight. Thankfully also the thyroid meds are teeny and super simple to get him to take.

so my summary - So Far So Good.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Great news. :thumbs-up Hope the improvement continues.

Google medical degree :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."