In Memory Of Jewel (The Greyhound Who Escaped The Hauler)

2greytgreys

Hi everyone,

Beverly Sebastian, founder of 2nd Chance At Life Prison Greyhound Program, asked me to post this for her. It is a tribute to Jewel and a thank you to everyone on Greytalk who cared about and searched for Jewel and Tater Tot, the two hounds who escaped from the hauler a few weeks ago. The Greyhound community is truly incredible and never ceases to amaze at their love, generosity, and passion for these wonderful dogs.

The link includes the profile of Jewel written by her inmate trainers and a very sweet letter from the trainers that would have been given to Jewel's adopters. You can also watch short videos on how the inmates train the dogs. http://www.inmemoryofjewel.com/

:weep :weep :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

This was both beautiful and heartbreaking; thanks for posting. I am glad Jewel's last few months were such happy ones.

I do not recall her death. I only remember a search or something. Anyone have the original thread? Poor girl.

Amber Alert

Remembrance thread

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It is so sad! Thanks for posting the website and it is heat warming how much she was loved in the prison program! Her trainers did a great job!

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Jewel was definitely loved by her trainers and everyone else at the prison. We had the privilege of visiting the Gadsden Correctional Facility last summer and meeting the female inmates who are part of this program. We got a tour of the prison and spent about two hours with the inmates and their dogs. They showed off their training skills and put the dogs through their paces for us. We talked with them and many shared with us the reason they were incarcerated and how being part of this program was helping them change their lives. A couple of them even planned to train in the vet tech program. The love these women have for the dogs is incredible and they really put their heart and soul into the training.

This program not only helps the dogs but it also has huge benefits for the inmates. It gives them responsibility totally and completely for the care of the dog. And because they have to keep a weekly journal of the training progress of the dog they also practice their writing and communication skills. The day we visited we were bringing back two of the dogs and their trainers were sad to see the dogs leave even though they knew they would be getting another dog to train.

Too sad. :(

Rest in peace beautiful Jewel.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting