The More We Brush, The More His Teeth *need* Brushed

Do you guys find that the more you brush your dog's teeth, the more they need brushed? What I mean is... I'm finding that if I'm not completely diligent, and if I accidentally skip a day, Henry's breath smells like hot garbage. Truman's teeth seem to get gunked up overnight. I don't remember this happening before we adapted a once-daily brushing regimen. Why is that?

Guest Lillypad

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I find the same thing. I also find that I brush often, but her teeth are not bright and white like some doggies I know. Maybe new soft plaque buildup is more active and therefore produces more toxin by-product, while teeth with calculus (tartar/hardened plaque) sort of encases the underlying plaque and contains the smell. (which is foul too but not as obvious???) I don't know sorta reaching here.... LOL We need an explanation from a Vet... LOL

I feel like this is just perspective. There is no way a dog that gets daily brushing has terrible breath if a day gets skipped... but it probably smells worse than usual. Kind of like us. If you didn't brush your teeth one morning... other people would probably think your breath was disgusting... unless they smelled the breath of someone with actual dental disease and tooth decay. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest anniesweet

I think it's all relative. When I skip a day, Dash's breath makes me want to puke. HOWEVER, I once smelled the breath of a greyhound that had never had it's teeth brushed in its life, and I wanted to die.

Guest AngelPup

Cindy Lou constantly had poop breath--disgusting! She was a poop eater when we adopted her, so we initially chalked it up to that. But with daily supplements to curb that behavior, she no longer thinks poop is a delicacy. Unfortunately she STILL had poop breath. I'm pretty diligent about brushing daily and use doggie mouth wash spray, chews, etc. The only toothpaste she likes is CET. But because I'm so cheap I decided to make a home-made doggie toothpaste I found on the Internet. What a difference! Not only does her breath not smell, but it smells like cinnabuns for a while after brushing! Plus, I've noticed that her teeth and gums look much better (even some of the stubborn plaque is just about gone!

Here's the recipe, but you may want to adjust as necessary. I personally think that there is WAY too much cinnamon, as she's not crazy about the taste, but will let me brush because she wants her large Milkbone afterward.

BASIC Recipe

Dissolve 1 bullion cube in 1 T hot water (makes it tasty)

2 T baking soda (cleans, removes plaque and odor)

2 t cinnamon - but I'm going to cut it down to 1 t next time (cleans, removes plaque and smells great!)

1/3 - 1/2 C coconut oil (keeps everything together, many other benefits)

You can also add a pinch (1/8 or 1/4 t?) of the following:

parsley (deodorizer, anti inflammatory, antibacterial)

turmeric (natural whitener, antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti inflammatory, prevents plaque buildup)

kelp (plaque removal, antibacterial)

I didn't have turmeric or kelp on hand, so didn't bother with them.

I don't know... Common sense and research tells me that I'm overthinking this. But I've had Henry for 5 years, and for most of that time, we only did the occasional brushing and once-a-week bone. I never remembered his breath ever being noticeably stinky back then. In the last six months that we've been brushing everyday, his breath gets really awful, even if I miss just one day.

Is there a such thing as over brushing?

Any chance he has worms? Worms will cause horrible breath as will other digestive issues. Could the brushing not be a factor and something else needs to be considered? Just wondering since I've seen this symptom mentioned previously when people are battling worms or parasites.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Any chance he has worms? Worms will cause horrible breath as will other digestive issues. Could the brushing not be a factor and something else needs to be considered? Just wondering since I've seen this symptom mentioned previously when people are battling worms or parasites.

He has an annual appointment next Monday, 4/20.

We'll find out then, although, he does take Heartgard every month. The only worm he *should* be susceptible to is whips.

I don't know... Common sense and research tells me that I'm overthinking this. But I've had Henry for 5 years, and for most of that time, we only did the occasional brushing and once-a-week bone. I never remembered his breath ever being noticeably stinky back then. In the last six months that we've been brushing everyday, his breath gets really awful, even if I miss just one day.

Is there a such thing as over brushing?

You're over thinking this--he needs a cleaning--5 yrs ago he didn't.

What tbhounds said. Just like our own teeth -- most of us people brush daily yet still need a cleaning every 6-8 months.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AngelPup

I second this. Bad breath can be a sign of a health issue. Could be just a coincidence that it got worse when you started to brush more often. Definitely bring it up at the appointment!

You're over thinking this--he needs a cleaning--5 yrs ago he didn't.

This was my thought as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."