It's Time For The Dreaded Dental.

We've really lucked out and had very few dental issues with our 2 greys. We've never had a grey need a dental.

But Diana is 10 and now has death-breath. We've done brushing (intermittently, as she'll allow), many brands of chews, and raw bones. So - I had the vet give her mouth a GOOD check Saturday when we were there for shots and nails. He kinda poo-poo'd me and basically said she probably just had tartar and needed more frequent bones or brushing. But I insisted so he pried her jaws open and gave her a GOOD look in the mouth. He was surprised at what he saw. Her tartar was quite low. A decent level. But her poor front top little teeth were just black at the tops! With quite a bit of receding from the gums.

So - she has to go under for a dental, and probably loose most of her little top front teeth. The vet was quite surprised at this, because in his experience it's not usually those teeth that go bad first. But - he's never had any greys other than mine.

So - are having bad top front teeth normal for greys? I know she doesn't chew there. And when we brush I don't focus there.

I don't know about bad front top, but bad front bottom ones were the first to go on my girl. She has a little two-tooth gap in front, where the vet pulled two when she was just six years old. He was doing a cleaning, and he said the teeth were wobbly and he could see the roots.

But she needs to go back soon (she'll be 10 next month) and probably will lose something from the back. She's being very careful where she positions treats in her mouth before she bites down...

Make sure you know someplace to get Amicar for Diana. Some dogs do have bleeding issues after a dental.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Lillypad

I am experiencing the very same thing. And it has me troubled. My girl is only 6. Her back teeth are gorgeous, not a lick of tarter. They are not as bright white as I would like but they are clean. The front have gotten daily brushing (along with the back of course, hee,hee) and they are still turning dark brown. They are not wobbly put I suspect there is pulp exposure. At our last vet checkup, I too had to insist that the vet have a look, cause she was not concerned about a 6 year old. She suggested we leave them for now, keep a close eye on them, she also took a photograph. But I swear they seem to be getting worse very quickly. And like you I wonder what is it about the front teeth. You would think these teeth would be the last to degrade. Is it the fine jaw bones in our grey's conformation. Could it be these teeth have extraordinary shallow root depth. And like your case, my girl does not chew or naw on anything she shouldn't?????

Edited by Lillypad

Guest AngelPup

Hmmm, we don't have this problem... yet, but it seems strange that the front teeth would go first. Maybe because many times the front of their mouth is open during sleep? Even when Cindy Lou's mouth is closed her little chick-let teeth show in the front. Dry mouth/teeth are prone to damage. Just thinking out loud.

Silver is often (but not always) an open-mouth sleeper.

9252545998_4b83f9b274_z.jpg

But her current issues (3 years after the vet pulled the bottom ones) are with back teeth. The vet says her gums are badly receded, but there's very little tartar/plaque on her teeth--back or front.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Well, I'm dropping Diana off Thursday morning at 7am on my way to work. The vet's office is going to put her in one of their kennel runs, and get her in first, and call my DH as soon as she's semi-ok to go. They know that we don't want her there any longer than necessary and they've sent a woozy grey home with us before. Honestly - the receptionist told me they want my greys OUT as soon as reasonably possible, because they get stressed and it upsets the staff. She did say that if we couldn't pick her up until I got off work at 6 that they'd make a bed for her behind the receptionist's desk while she was getting her feet under her. They don't want her waking up alone in a kennel room. I love my vet.