Well, Crap. Sallie Broke Her Leg

She is doing great, mostly. The problems come when she needs to pee. She wants to get up and go outside. Last night at around 4 a.m. I said no way. She eventually did go in her pen (pee pads down everywhere) but she got pretty worked up. Same thing again around noon. Since she is able to get up with just a little help from me, I was willing to take her out, but she can't really walk on her three good legs yet. So I made her stay in her pen, she got very agitated, but finally did go. I don't know how long it will take her to get strong enough to three-leg it on her own, I can help, but I can not pick her up and carry her. I am also concerned about how dark her urine is. It is concentrated, since she is holding as long as she can, and there was a LOT of bruising. I have a call in to her Dr to see what he thinks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear she's doing well. Hope you got some sleep. You've both had a rough couple of days.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You might find a support harness useful until she gets used to tripodding. Either a Ruffwear harness or one of the ones listed in Taylor's thread.

It shouldn't take her long once she can accomodate the added weight of the cast. When our boy Dude broke his toe he was in a full leg splint for about a week (never would have done that now with what I know), and he took about 3 days to figure out how to arrange things for walking and pottying.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending hugs to both of you. And seconding the idea of a harness if it is okay for her leg. It is amazing how a good harness makes it so easy to help a large dog. We used the God's Greyts harness, which Nutmeg wore 24/7 without batting an eyelash.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I do have a Ruffwear Harness I might try. Or I think I might order on of Carol's, I really like that they are light enough to wear all the time. I know I need to have more patience, it's only been a little over 48 hrs since the break, 24 since the surgery, it just seems like years :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

another thing to take into consideration is when they are tripods, they walk better at a trot, not a slow walk. If they can get up a little bit of steam, they hop along much better.

Chad

I am so glad that she finally peeped on the pads.... I know how hard it is on you both.

We will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I am sorry to have to update this, but after my vet and several others, including Dr Couto looked at Sallie's x-rays, it seems that she does, in fact have osteo. I am still deciding what to do, have read the osteo thread, I think I am still numb.

:ohno:bugeye:cry1:mum:mum:crying:crying:crying

sometimes words just aren't good to share ---- I'm so sorry Jan!!! xoxox to miss Sallie!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Oh Jan, noooooo. I am so sorry you are looking at this. Whatever you decide it will be because it is right for your girl. Hugs to you and Sallie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:( Sending hugs and best thoughts for you and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No!!!!! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry--I wasn't going to say so earlier, but I found it impossible to believe she DIDN'T have osteo.

Legs rarely just break that easily.

Enjoy what time you have with here, and don't skimp on the pain meds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm sorry. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry to hear this. Spoil that sweet little girl rotten, and give her some extra scritches from me.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks everyone. Right now she is doing pretty good, and my vet & I have talked over our plan of attack. Having watched her this week, and based on other things, I have decided not to do the amp. Age is really the least factor, but I just don't think it is right for her. So, we will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable, and strengthen her system, and hope for some good time still to come.

:grouphug for both of you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.