Well, Crap. Sallie Broke Her Leg

The good news is there doesn't appear to be any osteo. The bad news, her bones are very brittle and she will need to be on "crate rest" for two months, and probably somewhat restricted activity for the rest of her life (she is 11) Crate rest is in quotes because I have never crated her, so I guess technically it will be x-pen rest. She is generally pretty quiet, but she does love her toys, and it will be a long time, if ever, before she can play with them again like she likes to.

I have never had to restrict a dog's movements for more than a few days, any tips will be welcome!

Oh, and if you are curious, she was just standing in the car, right behind me, no turns, no sudden stops, and somehow twisted her leg and it split.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some treat/puzzle toys for her to work on. Kili drives me nuts whenever she's had to be on exercise restriction. I maintain my sanity by working her brain.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would be interested to know if your vet has recommended Pamindronate treatments, or calcium supplements to help rebuild her bone density? Is that even a thing for dogs?

{{{Hugs}}} for your girl and you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would be interested to know if your vet has recommended Pamindronate treatments, or calcium supplements to help rebuild her bone density? Is that even a thing for dogs?

{{{Hugs}}} for your girl and you!

Just talked to my vet, and she is going to do some research and see what's available. Love my vet!

That had to have been so frightening for both of you. Best healing wishes for Sallie and cyber strength for you. When LadyBug was on bed rest I would read to her, it seemed to help. Hang in there.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Taylor was getting an IV of Zoledronate, the bone strengthening drug, every 3 weeks.

Unlike Pamidronate which takes up to 2 hours to infuse, the Zoledronate takes 15 minutes, and according to studies, is WAY more effective than Pamidronate.

Thanks, I will let my vet know about this.

That had to have been so frightening for both of you. Best healing wishes for Sallie and cyber strength for you. When LadyBug was on bed rest I would read to her, it seemed to help. Hang in there.

Yes, I have now heard the broken leg version of the GSOD twice, and I swear it is 10 times worse!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope she heals quickly and completely. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

xoxox to Miss Sallie!!! and to you -

hope you both get some much deserved sleep tonight.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Hope you and Sallie had a quiet night! Let us know how she is doing when you have time.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life