Sleeping On Bed Question

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

Any of you use a platform bed so that your greys can access the bed more safely? I have a regular bed which is somewhat high and am going to make it lower by removing the box spring and placing a plywood sheet or using 2x4s to make slats to support the mattress which will bring it down to the height of a platform bed. I think my dog hurt his back again getting on and off my bed a few days ago so want to make sure it won't happen again. brit

Edited by brit1

Yep. I made mine solid (3/4" plywood sheet, heavy sucker!) because I like a really hard bed. Slats will gentle that down a bit. :) Depending on your setup, you could also try stairs or a ramp, if he'd use them?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm moving soon, and once I'm settled in my new place, I plan on upgrading from a full to a queen. I've been looking into memory foam mattresses particularly, and instead of buying a box spring, I plan to just buy a base and the top mattress. Sam's Club sells these, and the reviews are pretty darn good: http://samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-smart-base-steel-bed-frame-foundation-queen/prod3090516.ip?navAction=

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

When Desi started having trouble getting into "our" bed, I took the frame apart and just put the box spring & mattress
on the floor. When even that is too high, I guess I'll just chuck the box spring & have the mattress only on the floor.
Not an ideal look, but whatever......nobody else visits my bedroom anyway.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Same set up here as DesiRayMom, boxspring and mattress right on the floor.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just did this last week for Raina, took the frame away and just boxspring and mattress on the floor-it has made a huge difference for her getting on and off the bed. She too hurt herself about 2 weeks ago getting on/off the bed. My bedroom isn't quite big enough for a good set of stairs, so like DesiRayMom, if necessary, we will remove the box springs :)

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Same here. I did this many years ago when my weimaraner had hemangiosarcoma and could no longer jump up on the bed. I've never put them back on the frame.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest brit1

thanks for responses. I was going to make or buy steps/ramps but I know for sure he will just jump up and down. I did have a ramp for my Aussie which he used because his hind end was to weak to jump. My only problem now with the lower bed (son helped me do it last night) is that I also have a bad back LOL and i hope getting up and down from such a low bed will not affect it but otherwise it was very comfortable (he bought 2x4s and place them like slats), seems to be working. Other problem which is a small one is frame seems not to be as long as the mattress so nothing to tuck sheets under at end of bed. If all goes well perhaps I will just buy a platfom bed, will have to see how things go with my back. For instance not sure how I will get down that low to make the bed when I change the sheets. My dog is getting a Boswellia/turmeric herbal (with food)from Standard Process which hopefully will help his back heal again (also gave him Tramodol while he was in obvious pain). I think the culprit was the picnic table at dog park, he likes to get on and off of it and I know for sure he hurt his back doing that which means no more dog park :( brit

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into the same thing. My grey's hind end is getting weak and I don't want her to get hurt jumping in and out of bed. I considered making steps (love Beachbum1's idea) but she refuses to do steps and would just try to hurdle them.

I'm going to put the mattress and box spring on the floor, I think. Like you, it could be very tricky for me to get out due to back problems. I'll use my bedstand to haul myself out on the back-back days LOL!

What we don't do for our dogs!