Greyhound Vomiting After Drinking Water

Guest zsinger25

Guest zsinger25

My 12 year old greyhound has problems keeping her water down. I have seen two different vets regarding this issue but have never been given a diagnosis. At first I thought my Mazi (dog) was vomiting after every time she would eat but I then was able to narrow it down to the water. I actually had to take away her water dish and only provide water to her in her food or in very small amounts.

She seems to keep the water down when I pour it onto her food. But if I give her any decent amount of water, I have to stand by the door to immediately let her out to vomit. The vomit is clear (water) and may contain a bit of mucous in it and any food that may be left in her system.

The vet prescribed Famotidine (10mg) and Cisapride (15mg) per day.

The medicine seems to help but she still vomits and always seems thirsty.

Has anyone else had similar issues like this?

Oh dear, poor girl! Is this a new problem?

Are you using an elevated feeder/water bowl?

Are you feeding kibble or raw?

My Ryder will drink and drink and drink (drinks too much and too quickly) and up it comes immediately, as you say, clear for the most part. I generally try to stop him from drinking so much at once and I watch him to make sure he doesn't put his head down so the water has a chance to go down his pipe!

Kasey is on Famotidine (Pepcid) to control his stomach acid. That was what I was thinking it could be as well. I'm not familiar with Cisapride.

Scritches to your girl, I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest zsinger25

This has been going on for probably a little over a year or so.

Her food and water are elevated and she is eating kibble. She has had many tests done with no luck as to what might be wrong. She is in good health for her age (in my opinion) and is still pretty spunky. Although her walks are usually cut short because she gets tired easily.

I've never tried to hold her head up after drinking, I could give that a try.

I am concerned for her. I don't believe she is dehydrated but I hate not having water for her at all times.

I've never tried to hold her head up after drinking, I could give that a try.

Indeed, Ryder is always a head drooper...so I'll just hold his head up and insist the water goes down. LOL

I wonder if she's nauseated actually. And her stomach just can't handle the intake..... Ryder was prescribed Cerenia years ago.....very low dose just to calm him down and break the cycle (he would vomit bile in the middle of the night on a nightly basis and this helped to overcome that). Maybe ask your vet?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 1 year later...
Guest Beezersgirl

Hi, I know this is an old post but did you ever find out what was causing your dog to vomit only when drinking water? My grey has been vomiting for 2-3 months now. She can't drink water at all or vomits immediately. I even tried ice chips and she still vomits from a very small portion of water. I now soak her food in water so she doesn't get dehydrated. So far we've had several X-rays done, an ultrasound which shows an enlarged spleen and fluid in her abdomen. Some fluid was taken for testing and I should have those results by tomorrow. The vet just doesn't know what is wrong and is leaning towards cancer. She isn't acting abnormally to me at all and I don't want her to keep suffering. She is so thirsty and licks anything wet. Any help you can give is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest greyhoundlover2

I had this problem with one of my girls. Never got an official diagnosis but started giving her Zantac every day and the vomiting stopped!

• 2 months later...
Guest Mordetron

I have a coworker who has a dog with symptoms just like this, regurgitates water as soon as he drinks it. Her dog was diagnosed with megaesophagus. Might be the answer, might not, just thought I'd give you my experiences. I hope this helps.