Injury Recovery Question

Guest Dancer

Guest Dancer

My pup Stolie had a collision with his 'brother' at the dog park 6 days ago. It was pretty much at a 90 degree angle...Checker (no brakes, no steering) was running full out...Stolie was doing his tripawd hop along. Stolie was sent flying and landed on his one and only shoulder.

We spent a lot of time at the e-vet...no broken bones...phew. Vet seemed to think it was soft tissue injury - so gave us pain meds. Stolie still seems to be in a lot of discomfort, and getting up is still quite painful. Anyone have experience with something like this?

I have another vet appointment...but what about chiropractor, accupuncture, laser?? Or is this just a matter of time?

I have some experience with this, in that my two collided a few years ago, although in their case it was head on. One of them developed partial seizures within 24 hours. Her brother initially seemed OK but within a few weeks developed intermittent front leg lameness. Our regular vet could find nothing wrong but a greyhound vet found a misaligned vertebra in his neck and told me that collisions are a common cause of this. We treated it with tramadol (my boy cannot have NSAIDs), valium as a muscle-relaxant, and then later with chiro when he was less painful.

Some soft tissue injuries can take quite a while to heal but I would be concerned that there may be an injury that hasn't been detected yet if he hasn't improved at all in 6 days. You said he's on pain meds - are these anti-inflammatories? Did he have xrays? If he doesn't improve soon and your vet cannot find anything wrong, might be worth getting him checked over by a chiropractor, who in my experience sometimes find things that vets miss. I have no experience with acupuncture or laser.

Will be interested to see what your vet thinks.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Dancer
Was his amp. due to osteo, or something else?

It was due to osteo.

Some soft tissue injuries can take quite a while to heal but I would be concerned that there may be an injury that hasn't been detected yet if he hasn't improved at all in 6 days. You said he's on pain meds - are these anti-inflammatories? Did he have xrays?

[/quote

We had x-rays done..and they put him on tramadol. The tramadol helps a bit...I'll see what the vet says

Depending on what your vet says, maybe add something for inflammation to the Tramadol. I like Meloxicam.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I agree with adding an NSAID for pain and inflammation. Soft tissue injuries heal with time and rest, and with only 1 front leg, he can't avoid using it, so it may take him longer than usual to heal. Was the vet able to localize where the pain was? Did he think the soft tissue injury was to his shoulder, or to his neck or back? Especially if neck/back, a muscle relaxer like methocarbamol (Robaxin) or gabapentin can help.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg