Thyroid And Creatinine Questions

Marlow had his annual physical yesterday and they ran a blood panel because he needs a dental and also because I have some concern about his water consumption. He drinks a lot of water. I have 2 bowls and I fill them multiple times a day (I only filled them twice a day when I had my other 2 greyhounds and they were rarely empty). He has always been a big drinker but it seems like it has gotten worse. I feel like his water drinking could be an anxiety habit. The other thing I've noticed in the last 6 -8 months is that he seems to more anxious. Not really separation anxiety but there is an anxiousness about him - if he were human he'd be one of those people that worries a lot and walks the floor, wringing their hands. Sometimes I feel really bad for him. He has lots of energy, demanding lots of walks (despite having access to a fenced yard). It's as though he can"t relax. I tell people he has doggy ADHD. No matter how many walks he gets, it's never enough. So, back to the blood work, I haven't picked up the results from the vet but she called and said his T4 was .03 (need to clarify that it's really .03 and not .3) and it was .8 last year. She wants to put him on meds. Should I get a full thyroid panel done first or does his behavior and the drop from last year seem like enough reason to go on meds. As for kidney function, his Creatinine was 1.9 and last year it was 1.6. She is recommending we check it again in a couple of months as well as do a couple of other tests at that time. Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Always do a full panel before starting thyroid meds -- free T4 and TSH at a minimum. The T4 can fluctuate hour to hour and day to day, and that is normal.

If the BUN was within normal range I wouldn't be too concerned about the rise in creatinine -- it can fluctuate, too -- but it wouldn't hurt to get a first-of-the-morning urine sample and check specific gravity on that. That will show you whether he *can* concentrate his urine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks!

ETA: Seems like I've seen that there is some place that folks here recommend thyroid tests be sent to. Can someone give me that info?

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Your local lab could run a thyroid panel but, the gold standard in the industry is to run a premium panel at MSU with endo interpretation.

To be honest-if your lab still has the blood I would just call and add a tsh. If that result is questionable then I would run the MSU panel.

Given that he drinks a lot of water and his creatinine is on the rise, I'd have them run more tests on kidney function. In particular, have them check his urine protein creatinine ratio (UPC). If he has chronic kidney disease you need to know sooner than later.

Given that he drinks a lot of water and his creatinine is on the rise, I'd have them run more tests on kidney function. In particular, have them check his urine protein creatinine ratio (UPC). If he has chronic kidney disease you need to know sooner than later.

The only reason to run a UPC is if your dog has protein in an inactive urine sample.

Guest sireltonsmom

tbhounds - what is an inactive urine sample. I have a high creatinine ratio in Mindy from previous tests but always have used the first urine of the morning. Thanks.

tbhounds - what is an inactive urine sample. I have a high creatinine ratio in Mindy from previous tests but always have used the first urine of the morning. Thanks.

An inactive sample is a sample void of bacteria and elevated red and white cells. In other words no current infection. A UPC should also be run on a voided (free catch) sample as a urinary cath or a cystocentesis procedure could potentially cause increased red cells.