Eating Ice Cubes

Guest normaandburrell

Guest normaandburrell

Yesterday being Easter, we left Iceman for longer than we normally do. Plus he only got a short walk before we left. So when we came home he was full of energy. He ran like mad around the yard in the heat, and peed several times. It was already past his dinner time, so I gave him some ice cubes to cool him off. I ended up giving him about a dozen and waiting an hour, then feeding him. He immediately began to beg to go out again. Because I was afraid he would run again too soon after eating, we kept him in while we went out to sit in the spa and cool off. When we came back in, he had flooded his bed and the rug in front of the door. We took him out, and again he peed several times. He peed outside again right before we went to bed, but only once.

Has anyone else had this happen? I woke up certain that he had a medical problem and that I would find urine everywhere, but he was fine. He went outside and had his usual huge pee. I am thinking that giving him so many ice cubes all at once just dumped a lot of fluid into his urinary system. He normally only drinks a little at a time, and I think he got about a cup of water all at once. I read an article that stated that a healthy dog his size can filter 100 ml/min through the kidneys.

Johnny has done that a couple of times when he has got very warm and drank a lot of water, it scared me a bit watching him peeing for literally five minutes, but he was ok afterwards too. In the warm summer months I was adding a little milk to his water to persuade him to drink so he didn't get dehydrated, I don't think I need to worry this summer.

Btw. Despite Johnny's love of frozen vegetables and bones, he won't eat ice cubes, but angel Sadi loved them :(

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Our girl cracked a tooth on ice, which had to be extracted - so do be really careful with ice. She loves the stuff, but we can't let her have it anymore - it was really painful and traumatic for her (and us!) when she broke that tooth.

Our boy was a HUGE drinker. We would have to take the bowl away from him to make sure he didn't contract bloat and we took him to the vet twice to make sure his kidneys were okay, it really freaked us out. He used to go outside, and I swear, pee for 4-5 minutes solid. He was not an ice-eater, but for the entire 6 years we were lucky enough to have him, he would (frequently) pee for a very long time. Our vet said not to worry, but to let them know if he started having accidents inside (which he never did) and to pick up his water when he got too obsessive.

I am guessing all the ice did just over-hydrate a bit, but that's just a guess. :)