Osteo Diagnosis, Amp?

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

Hi All, it's been a long time.

I lost two of my babies last year. One to Osteo, and one to sudden heart attack.

I adopted a boy, and a few months later a girl, and they happen to be littermates.

Kelsey and Clipper are 5 years old. They are very, very bonded. Kelsey started limping about two weeks ago. Of course we prayed it was a soft tissue injury, but she progressively got worse and not better while on the meds.

Last Friday xrays were taken by my local vet.

Dr. Couto is consulting on the case. He just sent me a note, as being Easter weekend I can not get all the films to him until tomorrow, but he sent me a note saying the one film he could see is "highly suggestive of bone tumor". He will see the balance of the films tomorrow.

**** JUST ONE THING I MUST MENTION... DR COUTO IS AMAZING!!! EASTER WEEKEND AND HE HAS RESPONDED TO EVERY EMAIL I HAD SENT!! WHAT AN AMAZING MAN!!

So now, I am in worry mode, but also in pro-active mode...

What do I do now? Pallative care... we will lose her quickly... Amputation?

I would love to hear from those of you who opted for amputation and your experiences.

One of my dearest friends in the world just opted for amp, and her boy is doing amazingly well...

I would love to hear the good and the bad...before I make this very difficult decision.

Thank you all!!

God bless you and your hounds

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Check out the osteo thread in health and medical. Dozens of personal stories, as well as a list of resources. Some dogs survive years after amp, with a great quality of life. It is a personal decision, but the thread gives you lots to think about in making the decision. I'm hoping that you may still receive better news! Good luck!

Oh, Holly. I have no advice, just wanted to say how sad this is for you. 5 years is much to young to have to face this dreaded disease. Sending our love from Delaware.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I chose amp for a 12 yr old.

Even at that age she bounced back and had a good 6 mos before OS hit another leg. The first two weeks are the hardest on the humans as they are whiny and restless. But once off pain meds and recovered from the surgery they're ready to take on the world.

Guest nazgreys

We are in nearly exactly the same spot with our 6.5yo M. We've been down this road before with another M who was 10 at the time. His tumor was in the pelvis and non-operable. This pup has a tumor in the distal femur, presumably "early". We have agonized about the right thing to do. We want him to be happy. We are going down the road of amputation and chemo. We're going to change a lot to accommodate his anticipated disability. He's otherwise healthy and happy. What you said about Dr Couto has been our experience: quickly responsive, helpful and kind. Good luck to you and your puppy.

I am very sorry to read of Kelsey's preliminary diagnosis. I really hope it's not accurate but Dr C does know what he is thing about. We went amp and chemo for our CHarlie and he was 7 when diagnosed. He lived another 21 happy months so we were lucky. The only negative was the cost of everything with our final tally at around $12k for amp and chemo. This is a bit on the high side as the amp alone was $5k because he stayed at the hospital almost 5 full days. The chemo is not expensive but the blood tests are and that together totaled around $2k. The remainder was spent on Pallaidia which was the option we chose post amp and it was over $300/mth. The latter was an option for us but we don't know if it really helped at all. We don't regret any of it though. He was such a special boy and being a tripod did not slow him down one bit.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Amputation is tomorrow morning. Left back leg, please say a little prayer for my Kelsey girl! I am finally at peace with our decision.

My greyhound family has helped me more than I can ever express.

Thank you

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Sorry you are facing this again. Sending good thoughts that things go smoothly today.

Not to be Debbie downer, but I would watch Clipper like a hawk and if he seems off at all, get him in for x-rays asap. Unfortunately I have seen littermates get bone cancer very close together. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:grouphug Keeping Kelsey and her family in our prayers.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest RICHandJUDE

Good Luck tomorrow. Greyts are amazing how they can adapt to different situations. Our Santa had surgery on a Monday morning and stayed at the animal hospital until Thursday night. When he got home, we did not have to help him as a tripod to get outside to do 'his business'. Our vet only charged us $1,000 to do the amp ( including shoulder) and boarding charges. He was 'old-school' and has since retired. We did spend a couple thousand dollars on chemo and blood work. (at the time, we weren't aware that Dr.C would supply free chemo medicine)

We NEVER had any problems with his surgery nor chemo. I guess we were very lucky. He was diagnosed at age 8 and he lived another 29 1/2 pain-free, happy months. He passed on from a unrelated problem. Prayers are with you.