What Treats Do You Use?

Guest agreytday

Guest agreytday

Hello! Less than two weeks until we get our grey and I wondered if anyone has a suggestion about treats. He is coming straight from the track so we need to tread carefully with adding too many new foods. Since we will be doing some training, I thought we would probably need smaller treats. I was also wondering if folks get larger treats for a snack? I know that our dog may not be able to use your treats but at least a starting point is helpful. There are so many options! Thanks :-)

You could ask his current owners if there is anything he especially likes? Otherwise I'd say try a few different things to begin with, until you know his tastes, and just in small quantities until you know what his digestion can cope with. My Doc loves anything meaty, cheesy or fishy, but spits out biscuit treats and dog choc drops. I found very small cubes of hard cheese (cheddar, size of my little fingernail) worked well for training for us but they don't suit some dogs stomachs. Little bits of cooked chicken or hot dog would be another idea. For big treats, raw chicken wings, dried tripe sticks and pigs ears are popular here but I think there may be a problem with contaminated pigs ears in the US. Anyway I expect some US Greytalkers will be along soon with other ideas for you.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My hounds would everything you give them in as large a quantity as you want to give them...at least that's when my DH gives treats.

That's the reason I only buy very small treats like Milkbone Minis. It's not so much that they are hungry but the idea that they are getting something. The hounds can all too easily make you think they are starving when they are actually just playin' you. ;)

We also give out small slices of carrots.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Milkbone mini's here too, as well as mini marshmallows. Lots of hounds get the "real size" mooshies at the track, so it may not be a "new" food to your hound. Pepperidge Farm Goldfish are also nice small snacks. Congratulations!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I usually just use leftover meat such as chicken (sometimes I buy the pre-roasted ones, eat a bit myself and then strip the carcass for the dogs). Also bits of steak, etc. Cheap, no unknown/foreign ingredients, and the dogs prefer it over anything else. I just chop it into the size I want and freeze in baggies. They also really like the freeze dried liver treats.

My dogs are very picky, but if yours isn't you can also use little bits of cheese, hotdog, carrot, etc. It just depends on what motivates your pup!

Guest sireltonsmom

Milkbones only - they are said to not bother the greyhounds with sensitive tummies. If we have steak, we share the leftovers with them occasionally. Nothing not made in the USA. Enjoy your baby!

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

I use a variety of things: for when Annie gets her eye drops; for after her teeth are brushed; for when she comes in from going P&P.

I buy the mini Mother Hubbard dog treats. I also buy from the local specialty dog food store something called Gourmet Cuts Treats for Dogs, made in the USA by Sunshine Mills out of Alabama. Annie also gets half of a full size Milk Bone after our morning walk and the other half after the afternoon walk. She also occasionally gets a small piece or two of cheese. If I have popcorn, I toss her a few. She LOVES marshmallows and occasionally we share a few minis. All treats, except for the half of Milk Bone, are small and low in calories and are not given in abundance. Annie puts on weight easily, though we walk about 2.5 miles a day.

Milk bones, Alpo snaps, freeze dried liver and those liver and yogurt treats from Wal-Mart that come in boxes like school lunch milk in my youth here. When we went to greyhound only obedience I used little thin pieces of hot dog and cheese. That instructor suggested cat treats for training as they are small and usually smellier than dog treats. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest AngelPup

Once your grey has settled at home (food, routine, etc), you can start him out by giving him kibble pieces for treats and training. Then, one at a time, introduce other treats to be sure he tolerates them and expand from there.

We use a variety of treats, but I don't buy ANYTHING from China! For training, we use mini liver treats (or you can use small pieces of hot dog, cheese sticks, etc.). For an occasional treat throughout the day, we give Cindy Lou small/mini Milkbones or Milkbone products. Once per day, after we brush her teeth at bedtime, she gets a large Milkbone (only time she gets that so she actually looks forward to teeth brushing). Once a week, on the weekend when I'm doing housework, I give her a USA made Bully Stick to keep her occupied. We also give the occasional safe fruit/vegi treat like watermelon, apple, carrots, baked sweet potato chips, etc.

She pretty much has a stomach of steel, but I did give her a dried beef tendon once and she had diarrhea the next day, so I just stick with the basics above. Also I do plan on trying Himalayan dog chews at some point when I have the money--they are expensive, but I hear they are safe and last quite a while.

Good luck with your new pooch!!!

My Luka is a cookie snob, no Milkbones for him. I guess I spoiled him buying cookies at $12.99 a pound. I like Blue Dog Bakery cookies, Exclusively Pet sandwich cookies,and Mother Hubbard cookies. His absolute favorites are the sandwich cookies though.

Also if you are doing something like training classes or clicker training (where you need small pieces), you can try cat food. I buy the little $5 sample bags of Orijin cat food which is very high in meat content. My dogs don't normally like kibble, but they love this. It is the perfect size for treat training :)

If I'm not on a baking spree making homemade dog treats, we give the Trader Joe's dog treats that are in season or the regular ones with the greyhound on the box (yes, we were suckers from the first time we saw them...). As an additional dental bonus, we also use the Hill's TD diet food from our vet - the pieces are very large for food, but they're great for treats, and the texture supposedly works like dental floss. We have noticed an improvement in breath from mixing the TD diet pieces in to the daily treat mix. We also keep some grain-free itty bitty training treats on hand for quick rewards. Congratulations on your new hound!

Guest normaandburrell

The most important thing is to not introduce new treats too soon. Many greys will have a little diarrhea when you first bring them home, and you don't want to complicate the issue by adding new food. Give the same food they have been getting. a lot of the kennels give milk bones and some give marshmallows.

I like the Charlee Bear egg & cheese treats. They're small and bland - good for just off the track dogs - and you can find them at Petsmart or Petco. Good luck with your new pup!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest ms3569

I use small milk bones without any problems. I've also used the small soft Zukes for training. The Zukes really stay fresh longer than some other brands I've tried.

Guest kisstherain

Hi, hope you are enjoying your greyhound! This is more of a chew, but if your budget permits, my grey really enjoys Himalayan dog chews. They are all natural and are basically dried up yak milk and cow milk. My grey loves it, and I think it is easier to digest than rawhide. It is super sturdy and she has had it for two weeks and has barely made a dent in it (she isn't the most vigorous or interested chewer though). I think she would probably at most go through one once a month.

If I'm not on a baking spree making homemade dog treats, we give the Trader Joe's dog treats that are in season or the regular ones with the greyhound on the box (yes, we were suckers from the first time we saw them...). As an additional dental bonus, we also use the Hill's TD diet food from our vet - the pieces are very large for food, but they're great for treats, and the texture supposedly works like dental floss. We have noticed an improvement in breath from mixing the TD diet pieces in to the daily treat mix. We also keep some grain-free itty bitty training treats on hand for quick rewards. Congratulations on your new hound!

Does anyone know where the Trader Joe dog treats- the ones mentioned here are made? Could not find any information on it and my boys love those cookies but I don't feel comfortable feeding them something without knowing where they are made.

Does anyone know where the Trader Joe dog treats- the ones mentioned here are made? Could not find any information on it and my boys love those cookies but I don't feel comfortable feeding them something without knowing where they are made.

I found a couple of comments on Amazon and Dog Food Advisor where people inquired and Trader Joe's replied "Our Trader Joe's Natural Dog Treats are packaged/processed in the U.S., and all ingredients are sourced from the U.S. and/or Canada." However, I just emailed them to be sure and will report back. I give Sweep their Mint-a-Breath bones and Beef Stick Twists (aka bully sticks), both of which are labeled Made in USA, but until today I did not realize her beloved peanut butter treats do not specify where they're made. Thanks for bringing this up!

ETA: In addition to the above, Sweep gets Freshpet's Dognation/Dog Joy chicken or beef treats and turkey bacon (all refrigerated), and Blue Buffalo's Lamb & Apple BlueStix, which are the perfect size to plug the small end of a Kong.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We are currently using Plato Thinkers (duck was our boy's fave, but our girl likes duck, chicken & salmon). They also really love the Plato EOS treats, we've tried the turkey/pumpkin, the turkey/cranberry and turkey/sweet potato with great success.

We also use small, soft jerky treats for rewards, you can break them into small bits and they are wonderful. That's what we used when training all our greys and they were all crazy about them.

Honestly, we've tried hundreds of treats over the years and only had a few that the dogs didn't like. I stay away from anything made in China, and generally stay away from anything with added sugar (dogs don't need it with their already-bad teeth) and after seeing some digestive issues in the past, we stay away from dyes, grains, soy, corn, etc. Sometimes they'll get treats from family/friends for Christmas with grains, etc. - but generally, we steer clear.

Congrats on becoming a greyhound parent - enjoy this time!

I do homemade treats at our home so inexpensive and so easy

pure canned pumpkin, organic brown rice flour, cinnamon, fresh parsley, fresh cranberries, raw eggs, dry milk, molasses, raw oats. use melon scooper. bake 25 mins for crunchy 35 degrees. need to freeze or refrigerate as there are no preservatives.

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg